January Reinforcements

sage

32 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Nope, he still didn't say it, nor is it a fair assessment. He said we need less touches to get the ball in the box, eg that's where you got goals from. He never said run harder, get it out wide and cross it, that's just made up.

Our chances today came from both, high pressing and getting the ball in the box, once again, part of a game plan implemented by the manager that was both entertaining and effective. 

What are you even on about? Nobody said that Paul Warne has said the phrase "my mantra is to run harder, get it out wide and cross it".  You're arguing a point that wasn't made, asking for proof of something nobody claims was said.

Not a fair assessment? Really? You're trying to deny that the core principles of Warne's approach are running hard (pressing) and getting lots of balls into into the box from wide areas (crossing)? Even though that's literally what we do more of than anything else? You're denying that while in the same breath pointing out that our main chances today came from doing both of those things 😅

It can be derived from his interviews and is evident on the pitch that these are the 2 biggest tenets of our game, and today, key to our success.

It's not even a negative comment.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

38 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

What are you even on about? Nobody said that Paul Warne has said the phrase "my mantra is to run harder, get it out wide and cross it".  You're arguing a point that wasn't made, asking for proof of something nobody claims was said.

Not a fair assessment? Really? You're trying to deny that the core principles of Warne's approach are running hard (pressing) and getting lots of balls into into the box from wide areas (crossing)? Even though that's literally what we do more of than anything else? You're denying that while in the same breath pointing out that our main chances today came from doing both of those things 😅

It can be derived from his interviews and is evident on the pitch that these are the 2 biggest tenets of our game, and today, key to our success.

It's not even a negative comment.

The poster wrote word for word "whose managers mantra is to get it to run harder, get it out wide and cross it 🤣" Maybe look at the dictionary for the word mantra "a statement repeated frequently"

Our winning streak is based on a defence base that has conceded only 3, all of this by accident, or have we a manager who tells his players more than just get it out wide and cross it ? For me he is a lot more than this, we often have more possession that other team's, we work teams one side to the other, to create space, we have scored both from crosses and playing the ball around.  

None of which I really see the instructions to the players, to get it out wide and cross it, not even today 🤨

We don’t need to do too much this window. Defence doesn’t really need anything unless we get injuries or Cashin leaves.

Midfield/wingers we could probably do with another player, preferably with pace to add some depth and a different option.

Up front is where we can make the most difference, Collins works hard but is limited and TJJ is talented, but we can’t be sure of his fitness.

We need a goal scorer, it’s the area we are weakest, we’re creating a good number of chances, but failing to capitalise on them, we haven’t suffered too much as yet, but some games are tighter than they need to be.

All that said, if we can’t really find a quality improvement and the option is bringing in someone like Lee Gregory (as mentioned in the tranfer thread) then we should just stick with what we’ve already got.

21 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

The poster wrote word for word "whose managers mantra is to get it to run harder, get it out wide and cross it 🤣" Maybe look at the dictionary for the word mantra "a statement repeated frequently"

Our winning streak is based on a defence base that has conceded only 3, all of this by accident, or have we a manager who tells his players more than just get it out wide and cross it ? For me he is a lot more than this, we often have more possession that other team's, we work teams one side to the other, to create space, we have scored both from crosses and playing the ball around.  

None of which I really see the instructions to the players, to get it out wide and cross it, not even today 🤨

I'm aware of the dictionary definition, I'm also aware that the English language is a beautiful thing and common use of a word or phrase can differ slightly.

Not that there's only one valid dictionary either -  an alternate definition for mantra is 'a word or phrase that is repeated often or that expresses someone's basic beliefs- I'd very much say that the description matches Warne's beliefs about how to play the game, all the evidence is there even if you choose to ignore it.

Nobody said the mantra alone covers all aspects of our play, and obviously it doesn't define our defensive performance.

Again you're looking for criticism that isn't there, and constructing arguments which haven't been made in order to then dismiss them. 

If you can't see that the main part of our attacking gameplay often is, and was today based on working the ball into wide areas  then I'm not really sure what to say, because it's clear you'll argue that black is white toward off any perceived criticism of Warne, whether it's actually there or not 

Edited by May Contain Nuts

5 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

We don’t need to do too much this window. Defence doesn’t really need anything unless we get injuries or Cashin leaves.

Midfield/wingers we could probably do with another player, preferably with pace to add some depth and a different option.

Up front is where we can make the most difference, Collins works hard but is limited and TJJ is talented, but we can’t be sure of his fitness.

We need a goal scorer, it’s the area we are weakest, we’re creating a good number of chances, but failing to capitalise on them, we haven’t suffered too much as yet, but some games are tighter than they need to be.

All that said, if we can’t really find a quality improvement and the option is bringing in someone like Lee Gregory (as mentioned in the tranfer thread) then we should just stick with what we’ve already got.

Sticking with what we’ve got is not an option for me. We need a striker and winger this window. That will be the difference in autos and playoffs

4 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Sticking with what we’ve got is not an option for me. We need a striker and winger this window. That will be the difference in autos and playoffs

I’d agree, but it’s a difficult and expensive position to recruit for in January.

Hopefully we get the player we’re looking for, but buying for the sake of buying is what we need to avoid.

Maybe the loan market will offer the best option for a striker.

1 hour ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I'm aware of the dictionary definition, I'm also aware that the English language is a beautiful thing and common use of a word or phrase can differ slightly.

Not that there's only one valid dictionary either -  an alternate definition for mantra is 'a word or phrase that is repeated often or that expresses someone's basic beliefs- I'd very much say that the description matches Warne's beliefs about how to play the game, all the evidence is there even if you choose to ignore it.

Nobody said the mantra alone covers all aspects of our play, and obviously it doesn't define our defensive performance.

Again you're looking for criticism that isn't there, and constructing arguments which haven't been made in order to then dismiss them. 

If you can't see that the main part of our attacking gameplay often is, and was today based on working the ball into wide areas  then I'm not really sure what to say, because it's clear you'll argue that black is white toward off any perceived criticism of Warne, whether it's actually there or not 

Criticism? Show me where I said it was that ? I said it was a myth that PW has a mantra of getting the ball out wide and cross it, why is that a criticism ?

It appears you agree with me though, as you say, we work the ball, we press better, we just don't simply get the ball and get it out wide and cross it and run more, as put in the post.

Seems therefore we are also all in agreement that Warne is getting the best out of these players both tactically and with his results, in addition he was right in his assessment in his interview 😏

If we are going to spend some money, personally I'd like to see us put a bid in for Macaulay Langstaff. 15 goals already this season puts to bed the 'One Season Wonder' concerns. Be interesting to see how much County would want for him mind.

Another good option would be Jake Young at Bradford, currently on loan at Swindon but due to be recalled. Only 22 and currently the League Two Leading Scorer (behind Langstaff). Think we'd be able to get hime at a decent price. 

I also like Jodi Jones at County and think he'd provide good competition for NML. International Pedigree & also currently topping the Assists Chart in League Two.

59 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

What about getting John-Jules until the end of the season, currently due to go back to Arsenal in a few days time. Seems strange that if he is going back, why have him on the subs bench today at Wigan.

Maybe because he was the most likely to come off the bench if we were in need of a goal. What happens with him in January won't become relevant until January.

I wonder whether the last few weeks would have altered our approach to the window. We’re within touching distance of the top 2 now, so if we have a good transfer window, there’s no reason we can’t make it.

I don’t think we will, or want us to take a gamble by overspending. That would be deja vu when it doesn’t pay off.

But last window, our additions were ineffective and our season ended up with nothing.

I think if we can avoid being weakened, even if it means Cashin is sold but loaned back, then that’s one big step. We need someone who is a reliable option to swap for Collins, if he got injured, we probably can’t rely on TJJ, Waghorn or Washington to lead the line for a run of games. If we can also get another winger, as other than NML we seem to be very wasteful in this area, then we should hopefully be alright.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

I wonder whether the last few weeks would have altered our approach to the window. We’re within touching distance of the top 2 now, so if we have a good transfer window, there’s no reason we can’t make it.

I don’t think we will, or want us to take a gamble by overspending. That would be deja vu when it doesn’t pay off.

But last window, our additions were ineffective and our season ended up with nothing.

I think if we can avoid being weakened, even if it means Cashin is sold but loaned back, then that’s one big step. We need someone who is a reliable option to swap for Collins, if he got injured, we probably can’t rely on TJJ, Waghorn or Washington to lead the line for a run of games. If we can also get another winger, as other than NML we seem to be very wasteful in this area, then we should hopefully be alright.

I’m not too bothered about a winger. NML, Barks, Wilson and Ward will provide chances. Collins is the workhorse. We need a finisher.

Also hope we get a first choice midfielder with some class, to give us options when the fixtures mount up and legs get tired.

ATM we don’t have a strong enough three man midfield if we had to counter a strong opposition midfield.

We’ve been allowed to use effectively a four man midfield with two wide players.

Thompson’s return will help, and Fornah is a good sub, but for me another midfielder (Dan Crowley would be 😊)is the step towards top two.

Great win yesterday. Let’s hope we can win the next two!