January Reinforcements

sage

5 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Warne has dampened expectations by telling us that we should not expect it to be ‘amazing’.  😞  (daily podcast) 

I fear we will be selling footballers and buying athletes 

You mean like Wilson or ward or nyambe or fornah ,,,, again this is a silly twist to beat warne with ,,, it’s very clear and has been for some time successful footballers have to be athletes first and foremost, you only have to look at the stick given to hourihane by some ( unfairly a lot of the time in my view ) over work rate and distance covered in games to see the contradiction in terms,,, personally I want athletes who are good footballers at the club , it creates unity on the pitch and the training field 🤷🏻‍♂️

56 minutes ago, Crewton said:

What's your evidence for that 'fear'?

If you look at the mix of players signed there have been mainly older players to do a job for now but the younger ones, Fornah, Wilson and JJ(only a loan I know but maybe with a view to a permanent) and arguably Ward(27 when he signed and a 3 year contract) aren’t just athletes. They are all athletes of course but they can also play and have quality. So for me that evidence doesn’t support an argument that we are only after big strong lads who can run about and are physical but have no skill

14 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Probably but equally if they want to leave and have no intention of signing a new contract then that’s out of our hands slightly isn’t it.

Also think we should probably worry about the championship when we get there.

All true, yet you have to plan for the future

46 minutes ago, Archied said:

You mean like Wilson or ward or nyambe or fornah ,,,, again this is a silly twist to beat warne with ,,, it’s very clear and has been for some time successful footballers have to be athletes first and foremost, you only have to look at the stick given to hourihane by some ( unfairly a lot of the time in my view ) over work rate and distance covered in games to see the contradiction in terms,,, personally I want athletes who are good footballers at the club , it creates unity on the pitch and the training field 🤷🏻‍♂️

In the PL they are pretty much all excellent footballers AND athletes. It’s much harder in this division to find players who are both. 

The Hourihane thing is bizarre. We have a manager who is constantly going on about kms run at pace. And yet game after game he selects a midfielder who can’t play that game and he allows him to be made captain !! You can argue he’s a worthwhile luxury item because of his delivery boy credentials but it risks demotivating the grafters 

9 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

In the PL they are pretty much all excellent footballers AND athletes. It’s much harder in this division to find players who are both. 

The Hourihane thing is bizarre. We have a manager who is constantly going on about kms run at pace. And yet game after game he selects a midfielder who can’t play that game and he allows him to be made captain !! You can argue he’s a worthwhile luxury item because of his delivery boy credentials but it risks demotivating the grafters 

It's about finding balance. You can just about manage to carry the likes of Hourihane when he's the only one you're having to carry. With Korey Smith injured, the midfield has worked much better than it had done with both Smith and Hourihane in it. We still do need a bit more pace though, we would be in serious trouble if NML got injured.

13 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Instead of just another cheap jibe, please explain where the excuses were made.

Did you listen?

I did.

My jibe isn't cheap, he already talks of it being a difficult window, not looking forward to it..but then says it isn't difficult to sign players. 

Were my jibes last January cheap also? I see Warne admits the concerns I had were actually correct.

12 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Blacket Taylor 

adami or whatever his name is at Wimbledon.

but I think we’ll end up with non.

id happily sell bird and cashin ( loan back) then try for Langstaff 

Shepherds Pie

Chicken Buriani or whatever its called from curry house

Probably end up with non.

I'd happily sell peas and Carrotts, buy some back then buy some salmon.

11 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Did you listen?

I did.

My jibe isn't cheap, he already talks of it being a difficult window, not looking forward to it..but then says it isn't difficult to sign players. 

Were my jibes last January cheap also? I see Warne admits the concerns I had were actually correct.

Easy to get players, difficult to get the right players at a reasonable price.

He's just setting expectations, which is sensible. I think jumping straight to ''these are excuses'' already is a little unfair. He's proved doubters wrong on the field in recent weeks, maybe we should wait and see what happens before judging? 

The emergence of Wilson, Ward coming back, maybe JJ starting to make a contribution and NML looking fitter has given us an edge that we didn't have before. Depends who we lose in the window but from where we are now, I think we don't need much. I'd love to see a proper target man number 9 added to the squad, someone who can really get up and head it

6 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

He's just setting expectations, which is sensible.

Exactly.

I'm yet to hear a manager in December say that they will have a fantastic January transfer window, everyone get hyped.

The less he says, the less he can be pulled up on if things don't materialise as he hoped, then used as a stick to beat him with.

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

IMO CH is an integral part of the team, not all players need to run at pace, he constantly delivers key passes that create good opportunities from both open play and set pieces. Could we get better, of course, do I believe that we have anyone at the club better than doing the job he has been tasked to do, not IMO.

21 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

The emergence of Wilson, Ward coming back, maybe JJ starting to make a contribution and NML looking fitter has given us an edge that we didn't have before. Depends who we lose in the window but from where we are now, I think we don't need much. I'd love to see a proper target man number 9 added to the squad, someone who can really get up and head it

Both good going forward. Ward's dead ball kicks are very good. Against Orient I thought Ward looked suspect defensively and I see Wilson as the better defender of the 2. They exploited that and a better team would have profited from it. I hope it's more "ring rust" than poor defending and that he will improve on that game on game.

I think the thing is with our midfield that a mobile, aggressive midfield will unsettle them. 

We don’t really have a true ratter, though in time I hope Fornah can be the man. We have two good passers in Bird and Hourihane and Thompson to come back as a bit of an all rounder.

Smith for me is tidy but not a top six player at this level.

We definitely need a new midfielder, especially if Bird goes.

44 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Easy to get players, difficult to get the right players at a reasonable price.

He's just setting expectations, which is sensible. I think jumping straight to ''these are excuses'' already is a little unfair. He's proved doubters wrong on the field in recent weeks, maybe we should wait and see what happens before judging? 

You are right about him proving doubters wrong on the pitch, he is doing that, I'm happy to admit.

I am now happy to keep my counsel and will review his actions in Feb.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Did you listen?

I did.

I did and nothing in his interview sounded like an excuse. Anything to get another dig at him will do for a few posters on here.