Derby County vs Exeter City (H) Match Thread

Idiakez

Much needed 3 points and a higher tempo with better pressing and passing. Exeter City look nailed on for relegation and by far the poorest team I’ve seen this season. Our defensive unit look solid and we must keep Nyambe until the end of the season.

One thing I’d advise Warne to do is show the players a video of Bobby Charlton shooting from distance. Their body shape is completely wrong when striking the ball, we should have scored 10 tonight rather than the 3.

Use that as a template going forward.

The new formation, the intent, the style.

Practise it, make it our thing. Plenty of roles in that setup where players can rotate and interchange - for example put Fornah where Hourihane was, Hourihane in place of Sibley, NML back out right, Barkhuizen on the left, Ward / Wilson / NML / Barkz can all operate on either side as required. 

Perhaps it won't work against better teams but perhaps stop fearing them and impose our own game on them.

Keep at it though. Recruit to suit where we can. Actually have a bloody identity!

Edited by Kokosnuss

Derby were okay. Exeter offered absolutely nothing and I think Wildsmith had to keep warm, I don't think they had a shot on target.

Played the ball through midfield alot more and we created even more chances, funny that. Get them more involved and we look alot more dangerous. That's what I want from Derby every game. Solid, in control, no scary moments, let the quality shine through.

Ryan Nyambe is one of the best right backs I've seen in a long time. He didn't give their winger a sniff. Even when he lost the ball, he soon knocked the player off the ball in no time. Quality player, get him signed up on a longer deal.

Player ratings 

Wildsmith  6 

Nyambe    7 

Nelson      7 

Cashin      7 

Foz           7 

Bird          8 

Hourihane 7 

Sibley       5 

NML        7 

Wlison     7 

Waggy     6 

Washington  6 

Collins     6 

Smith       6 

Barks       6 

TFFT

enjoyed it fair and fair play to CH 

so many more shots and this was the result, in my opinion, of selecting a balanced but attacking side and playing football 

We have plenty of options to rotate or use the subs at 60 mins to keep players fresh

fornah smith and CH can all play plenty of games and on a showing like that Max B can play in them all

Wash can’t take JCs place and Then John Jules can take his place 

keep the faith with sibs, as someone said he made good runs and created space for others plus a great ball to barks for good goal astonishingly ruled out 

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Practise it, make it our thing. Plenty of roles in that setup where players can rotate and interchange - for example put Fornah where Hourihane was, Hourihane in place of Sibley, NML back out right, Barkhuizen on the left, Ward / Wilson / NML / Barkz can all operate on either side as required. 

Yep and keep Wags up top. I know Warne is desperate to play Collins, but someone has to stop him unless there is no other option.

Hopefully TJJ is back soon to give us more options.

7 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Get 

Perhaps it won't work against better teams but perhaps stop fearing them and impose our own game on them.

They don't know who is where most of the time, lets keep them in their one position and leave the rotation until next season?

Edited by RoyMac5

7 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Much needed 3 points and a higher tempo with better pressing and passing. Exeter City look nailed on for relegation and by far the poorest team I’ve seen this season. Our defensive unit look solid and we must keep Nyambe until the end of the season.

One thing I’d advise Warne to do is show the players a video of Bobby Charlton shooting from distance. Their body shape is completely wrong when striking the ball, we should have scored 10 tonight rather than the 3.

Should also have shown the players videos of David Beckham crossing the ball

11 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

or 2 even 😂 

Ok performance and decent win! Liked the look to the team, midfield looked better. Think bird creates as much from a deeper position as he does further forward. Was good tonight.

Sibley disappointed a bit, hopefully gets a little run there though.

First goal was lovely football!

hopefully build on it Saturday