Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

We seem to be in a bad place right now and should consider ourselves lucky to collect 7 points from our last four games. That could actually have been maybe 1-2 points or something like that based on performance.

Big challenge for Warne now to find the right starting eleven because as it looks right know we are in some trouble. I hope he can find a way out of this right now because otherwise we actually might find ourselves below top 6 within weeks. That's how bad I think we’re playing at the minute.   

53 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

So do you think the players we currently have now are as good as we had during the years you mentioned. The answer is emphatically NO. So why do you expect them to play like them. The fact is we no longer have money to throw around, have a shoestring budget currently and cannot afford the type of players you want. This is a time for patience, understanding and support for the Club/team - not beating everyone up because we are not as good as we were in the hay days. We were nearly “no longer” - people need to get realistic!.

Relative to the league we are in, yes. Warne has a squad that is as good as, if not better than they had relative to the league they were in.

The idea that Warne is some impoverished coach with no resources and a begging bowl is utter nonsense. Our wage bill (even on our business plan), pulling power as a club (purely on size), facilities etc eclipse the rest of the division with maybe one or two exceptions.

We are currently less than the sum our parts and ultimately the buck stops with the manager.

23 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

players have been giving the ball away so much in the last few games-Warne cannot be blamed for that-they need to take a bit of responsibility.

He has to take a share of the responsibility because if he is telling them to get the ball out wide or up the pitch as quickly as possible the players are required to attempt riskier passes in to contested areas of the pitch more frequently.

The tactical setup is the reason we have chaotic pinball matches. 

Now, I agree that the players are executing poorly, but that just compounds the issues with the tactical setup.

4 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Relative to the league we are in, yes. Warne has a squad that is as good as, if not better than they had relative to the league they were in.

The idea that Warne is some impoverished coach with no resources and a begging bowl is utter nonsense. Our wage bill (even on our business plan), pulling power as a club (purely on size), facilities etc eclipse the rest of the division with maybe one or two exceptions.

We are currently less than the sum our parts and ultimately the buck stops with the manager.

Oh and for anyone saying my expectations should be more realistic, Warne has said a few times that they want to be, and are aiming to be in the top two. Should his expectations be more realistic as well then? 

9 hours ago, Sparkle said:

We weren’t in the third division since Arthur Cox built a very good side 

Yes agree, but when Mr Cix took us up we had some very poor games i was there mate, and the season after in the old second division we smashed it, some great away days as a 15 year old as well like Stoke away, Oldham away and the best of the lot sheffield United away with 10000 Rams fans, great times indeed. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

40 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Am sure Warne said last night that we were outbid for a player by a team in the same league as us

I feel firmly stuck in the ‘I don’t want Derby to sack Paul Warne but am concerned about how bad the football is’ corner.

The league table does not lie but the performances across this entire season as a whole have been pretty abject. I am very, very concerned that we would not survive in the Championship under Warne. We absolutely won’t playing like this. 

21 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I feel firmly stuck in the I don’t want Derby to sack Paul Warne but am concerned about how bad the football is’ corner.

The league table does not lie but the performances across this entire season as a whole have been pretty abject. I am very, very concerned that we would not survive in the Championship under Warne. We absolutely won’t playing like this. 

What in the past season and a half gives you re-assurance that Warne will be able to change his game plan? He had three goes with Rotherham, is that what you think we should accept?

Edited by RoyMac5

I see little point in changing now and I do believe we’ll be top 6.  Top 2, who knows.  It could come down to what happens in the next few days, who goes , who stays, injured players coming back and, out of al, the clubs up there, who can be most consistent.

I did walk away yesterday slightly concerned for Warne.  The booing, jeers sarcastic cheers when Hourihane went off doesn’t bode well for him long term.  I said to my mate, it’s a long time since we’ve heard that level of angst in a home crowd.  It’s a shame but I do wonder if he’s reached a tipping point?

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Interesting how the dynamics of the argument has shifted by the same posters from a few months ago with Warne won't get us promoted to now Warne won't be able to keep us in the Championship (assuming therefore that he will have got us promoted)

Did you think he'd get us in the Top 6 last season out of interest? Was that worth arguing about?

56 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am sure Warne said last night that we were outbid for a player by a team in the same league as us

And? It doesn't magically alter the fact that we've got resources that most L1 clubs could only dream of. 

So we got outbid for a striker, oh well. Was that the only striker we could possibly sign? Of course not.

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

And? It doesn't magically alter the fact that we've got resources that most L1 clubs could only dream of. 

So we got outbid for a striker, oh well. Was that the only striker we could possibly sign? Of course not.

Just making the point that transfer fees out trump training facilities, our huge history and fanbase etc etc which you mentioned in your original post.

And obviously we don't have the resources of other league 1 clubs if one has outbid us for a player we were in for. 

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Oh and for anyone saying my expectations should be more realistic, Warne has said a few times that they want to be, and are aiming to be in the top two. Should his expectations be more realistic as well then? 

Assuming we are promoted how good is our current geriatric army expected to be at the championship level.

Why is smith not in Sheffield Wednesdays plans, probably because he's the wrong side of 30 and not of the quality needed at that level like much of our current squad. Yet smith is supposedly a prime target for us and is the same age as the most of the other strikers we have.

Before they even joined us their record read Injury prone. They have very little resale value.

Our salary budget is high because we are paying their championship level wages.

last season those older players ran out of steam towards the end of the season.

In my opinion, We lack a team capable of successfully competing at the championship level.

Should we not have looked for younger talent from the lower leagues that might have a resale value in the future and perhaps wouldn't have us on such high wages.

Has warme changed from his Rotherham teams, did he promote similar teams to ours in the past, only to find they couldn't succeed in the Championship once promoted?

13 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just making the point that transfer fees out trump training facilities, our huge history and fanbase etc etc which you mentioned in your original post.

And obviously we don't have the resources of other league 1 clubs if one has outbid us for a player we were in for. 

I bet our wage bill is much higher than theirs is.

34 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I see little point in changing now and I do believe we’ll be top 6.  Top 2, who knows.  It could come down to what happens in the next few days, who goes , who stays, injured players coming back and, out of al, the clubs up there, who can be most consistent.

I did walk away yesterday slightly concerned for Warne.  The booing, jeers sarcastic cheers when Hourihane went off doesn’t bode well for him long term.  I said to my mate, it’s a long time since we’ve heard that level of angst in a home crowd.  It’s a shame but I do wonder if he’s reached a tipping point?

That'll be what, his second or third tipping point this season? I've lost count.

Edited by oodledoodle

4 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Salary cap and enforced EFL business plan notwithstanding? Was Clough having flog players like Shinnie for two bob and would he have been able to renew contracts for Jags and the like? I'd argue that coming out of admin and a forced relegation, Warne's brief has been as tough as any in recent memory. Just my opinion, mind! 

Completely the opposite IMO.

Warne came in after the majority of the hard work was done, he was handed what was already a top 8 (potentially top 6) squad and has since been allowed to bring in a good number of players, albeit limited on transfer fees, on wages higher than the majority of our competition can pay.

Added to that, his first full season in charge is one in which the quality of the opposition we face is below standard in an already low quality league, owing to 2 of the relegated teams having points deductions with Reading particularly in a mess.

I can't think of any manager in living memory other than perhaps Lampard with an easier brief. (Should have got us promoted with the standard of loan player we had, but he was also up against teams with even greater spending power)

That's not to say that it's dead simple, that there aren't still challenges we face, but he's not a rookie manager, getting out of League One is his speciality and he should fully be expected to achieve that with the resources he's been given.

Warne is supposed to be our trump card, but at times it's more like he's a joker in the pack 

Edited by May Contain Nuts