Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What is our wage budget out of interest?

https://www.capology.com/club/derby-county/salaries/

I already know the response will be that these numbers are probably wrong, but they are likely in the right ballpark and are well sourced. If you look up the other clubs we are spending significantly more.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. This is their level? That you Paul?

The back four and keeper are easily Championship standard. The midfield too. We're a bit iffy up front in the striker department. But this squad has the ability to play well in the Championship, but most of them won't be there with Warne that is true.

A squad with ‘the ability to play well in the Championship’ would not be this inconsistent and frustrating in League 1.

Players with ‘the ability to play well in the Championship’ would not have given a League One club a second glance.

If this group of players are genuinely above this level, surely they would put it all together more often, even in spite of the manager?

If we have players above this level, which the evidence suggests is not the case, then they are doing a fairly poor job of showing it and that can’t all be down to the manager.

Expectations are worryingly low when we are trying to justify why it's not a disgrace not to beat Cheltenham let alone Cheltenham in their current malaise

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

A squad with ‘the ability to play well in the Championship’ would not be this inconsistent and frustrating in League 1.

Players with ‘the ability to play well in the Championship’ would not have given a League One club a second glance.

If this group of players are genuinely above this level, surely they would put it all together more often, even in spite of the manager?

If we have players above this level, which the evidence suggests is not the case, then they are doing a fairly poor job of showing it and that can’t all be down to the manager.

And yet there are enough examples of a good manager getting better results out of a squad players than the previous manager, are there not?

Edited by RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Regardless of how we played we should be beating Cheltenham in there current form …not good enough 

Yes a very poor outcome for Derby County under any circumstances. In his post match interview Warne indicated that he wasn't unhappy with the performance, but also said that the game is about scoring goals.

Pre match, I was convinced that there would be more than enough in the squad to be beating bottom of L1 Cheltenham. I am beginning to wonder if the players have the motivation to win games like this. The manager needs to get the players focused on delivering the results that are required to ensure the minimum of a top 6 position in this league. 

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

This forum is turning into a totally joyless place.

Thought that with our near extinction there would be now some vestige of positivity, new owner, new manager, new start.

Sadly not.

Warne has been here a year. In management terms that is very much not 'new' and that is not something that can seriously be used in his defense in my opinion.

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Warne has been here a year. In management terms that is very much not 'new' and that is not something that can seriously be used in his defense in my opinion.

Interesting that you mentioned Warne in your reply.

I was commenting on how joyless this forum has become.

Think your answer sums that up.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

The forum mood typically reflects what is happening on the pitch. Joyless football leads to joyless fans.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Your comment leading to that reply specifically mentioned “new manager” so why would you be surprised if the reply mentions Warne?

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The forum mood typically reflects what is happening on the pitch. Joyless football leads to joyless fans.

Good point - when was the last time that there was a good atmosphere by our fans at our play at home?

13 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Hourihane stated at the Fan Forum something along the lines of "adapt to what the manager wants or you're put of thr team".

It's reasonably possible that the players are too scared to actually pass to each other to retain the ball for extended periods of play. They may not want to risk being dropped for not getting the ball forward quick enough.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

No the whole forum is a cliche now.

I could safely predict the replies tonight together with the other members who gave likes to those responses.

From someone whom has suffered with depression all of their lifes mood is what you make of it, if you choose to accentuate the negatives in everything then of course you will be joyless.

But you have determined this outcome.

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

This forum is turning into a totally joyless place.

Thought that with our near extinction there would be now some vestige of positivity, new owner, new manager, new start.

Sadly not.

And this is the fallback position, Will there be a time when our "near extinction" will not be used as a hammer to slam down on those who are not happy with PW or the performances the players are putting in.

It's the only vestige some posters can come out with 😉

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

I could safely predict the replies tonight together with the other members who gave likes to those responses.

From someone whom has suffered with depression all of their lifes mood is what you make of it, if you choose to accentuate the negatives in everything then of course you will be joyless.

Sorry, but the fact that the commentary in here is mostly negative is not because everyone collectively decided to be negative, it's because what we are seeing on the pitch is rubbish and it's being called out as such. 

I was really hopeful that the Blackpool game was a turning point, but here we are again. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

On the one hand isn’t the forum something of a microcosm of wider “society” (albeit in a niche way, since we share one specific concern/interest which most others do not)?

On the other, by the logic in your message, if you are stating that the forum is joyless, then isn’t it that you’re failing to find the joy in the forum?