Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

6 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

SSSIIIBBBBLLLLEEEEYYYY!!!!! Its a no-brainer, and actually having to drop him at the slightest opportunity is the only remaining condition of administration still imposed by the EFL. 

Sibley didn’t start at Blackpool.

Just throwing this in as I can’t see it’s been mentioned:

Cheltenham might be on a dismal run but their only point so far this season came at…

…Portsmouth (0-0 draw, obviously)

12 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

SSSIIIBBBBLLLLEEEEYYYY!!!!! Its a no-brainer, and actually having to drop him at the slightest opportunity is the only remaining condition of administration still imposed by the EFL. 

He's usually on the bench, though... impossible to drop him from the starting XI as he's not in it. 🙂

12 minutes ago, jcidaho said:

I would start Sibs. It's a different game than against blackpool. They are going to park the bus, and we can't unlock it with simply crossing all the time. Sibs would help with running at players and dislodging them, and actually making shots.

Absolutely. Horses for courses. Open them up early …

47 minutes ago, jcidaho said:

I would start Sibs. It's a different game than against blackpool. They are going to park the bus, and we can't unlock it with simply crossing all the time. Sibs would help with running at players and dislodging them, and actually making shots.

On the bench for Sibs it is, then!

I think a bit of rotation may be good with it being a 3rd game in a week.

I would bring Barkhuizen & Sibley in for Wilson & Bird. Not sure its worth risking Bird starting 2 in a row after his injury. I did think we should give NML a rest & start Wilson but last season NML battered these away, not sure if its the same left back for them though?

I reckon we will name the same starting 11 though.

5 hours ago, jcidaho said:

Don’t be ridiculous! You can’t start that “ common sense” nonsense on here!

2 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Another gem from Cloughy was “never change a winning side”.

Seems like good advice but then he never had a side with so many old legs in it as we do now.

I don’t remember him ever resting Dave Mackay when Dave was fit to play

3 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think a bit of rotation may be good with it being a 3rd game in a week.

I would bring Barkhuizen & Sibley in for Wilson & Bird. Not sure its worth risking Bird starting 2 in a row after his injury. I did think we should give NML a rest & start Wilson but last season NML battered these away, not sure if its the same left back for them though?

I reckon we will name the same starting 11 though.

I'm pretty sure Bird will be starting. He only played 70 minutes and he's young and fit.

7 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Definitely a test for us tactically in terms of an away game where we are possibly expected to take the initiative. 

This, for sure. We’ve had some brilliant results away from home, with them mainly coming against the so-called better teams in the division who invariably come at you. This has allowed to play on the break a lot of the time. 

Different animal tomorrow. Pattern of play is likely to be more like a home game. We need to find a way. 

If we're going to let Cheltenham score one goal, we have to let them score first for the absolute hysterics that would follow.

Obviously in an ideal world they don't score and we make the most of the opportunity to improve the goal difference, but if if they were to score and it was a late consolation goal, so what, you would get the odd grumble but nothing OTT.

Imagine if they score though in the 20th minute, we go in at half time 0-1, oh boy, it would be spectacular, fans would be thinking we're going to be global front news story from the Derby Telegraph to the Afghan Times. 

That 40 minutes of pure entertainment before smashing 3 in the second half ourselves would be perfection.

So yeah, let them score first or not at all please.

On 05/10/2023 at 13:30, Gabby'sThighs said:

I don't know if Twitter links work but THIS was the 2nd goal Cheltenham conceded on Tuesday. An absolute calamity!
Don't want to curse it but I can't wait for Barkhuizen, NML, K Wilson, and even Collins to get amongst this lot.

That has to be one of the most hilarious but equally tragic things I’ve ever seen 🤣