Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

It wasn’t that bad as a stand alone away performance I’d agree. 
I think if you add in the context that we were playing the worst team in the division by some distance it becomes more frustrating. It was such an opportunity to get back to back wins and put some of the negativity behind us. 
I’d say I agree that players need to be held accountable. NML at times is so completely devoid of quality (which is more frustrating as at the start of last season he looked the best winger in the division). Collins has got To score from 2 yards out. Forsyth and Collins both (whilst we were building pressure) uselessly lumped crosses straight out behind the goal when we were in dangerous positions. 

BUT the first half we didn’t look up for it. We needed to use our quality to take the sting out of their enthusiastic start and then turn the screw’s ourselves. The responsibility for getting the players fired up - especially after an excellent away result against Blackpool - is Warnes. 

Don't disagree with a word you have said, the best one to sum up the day is in there as well.

Frustrating.

That for me lies with the players today, Collins in particular.

Missing out  midfield also means that we’re predictable, so much play trying to go down a congested flank. Also, Cashin, Fozzie trying to find a perfect long ball down the line all the time. Someone didn’t send Max Bird the memo. As soon as he came on he was breaking the lines with passes along the floor into the middle and getting it wide with more guile. The move where Collins had his chance in the centre of goal was fantastic. That pulled their players into the middle until Bird released Barks with a fantastic slide through pass into the space that was created 

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

I've really really really wanted to give Warne the benefit of the doubt. 

Even after watching that, I was still just about onside, let's face it Collins should have scored at least once today, that's not on the manager.

His Radio Derby interview has tipped me over the edge.

Giving up midfield as a deliberate ploy when facing the 24th best team in the league, without a single goal to their name all season, how on earth do the squad take confidence in their abilities when that's the managers mindset?

Even if that attitude was successful over a season, what happens beyond?  

Ipswich are running wild in the division above, having been promoted last season, can anyone honestly see a PW led Derby County doing the same if we somehow squeaked promotion this year? 

He talks a good game, but plays a pretty poor one.

Ipswich spent millions in league 1 to get them out of the division, we have relied on frees and short term deals this summer! 

Warne can only work with the squad that he’s got and there is a massive wage in Sonny Bradley who is sat in the bench week in and week out! The recruitment is the problem this year. Oxford brought in Ruben Rodrigues and Harris, two players we could have easily attracted! 

44 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Bloody hell haven't listened to a Warne analysis for a number of weeks.

We didn't want the ball in the middle because they had an overload in there. Didn't want to try to put through balls to the strikers because they had 3CBs. We just needed to get into the wings more and get more crosses in more quickly.

Now getting defensive over Dom asking him why Sibley didn't come in when we needed goals and he's called him the best finisher at the club...  Well we had other unused subs. Bradley didn't come on. Vickers didn't come on

Straight back to not listening to his interviews me!

Hasn’t done himself a bunch of favours there TBF.

6 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Are we to assume that the 10 teams who've beaten them, and the 11 others who managed to keep a clean sheet against them so far this season did so because their manager also had the tactical brainwave of not playing through the middle of the pitch?

Should we also assume the other team that didn't beat them are awful and have no chance of promotion?

3 minutes ago, David said:

Don't disagree with a word you have said, the best one to sum up the day is in there as well.

Frustrating.

That for me lies with the players today, Collins in particular.

I can understand why individuals frustrate you the most but for me it was the flatness of the first half that then put the players under pressure to perform which goes a little way to explaining why they were so bad with their quality in the final third. 

1 minute ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Ipswich spent millions in league 1 to get them out of the division, we have relied on frees and short term deals this summer! 

Warne can only work with the squad that he’s got and there is a massive wage in Sonny Bradley who is sat in the bench week in and week out! The recruitment is the problem this year. Oxford brought in Ruben Rodrigues and Harris, two players we could have easily attracted! 

Sorry but thats bull. He's clearly a huge part in the recruitment and in Sonny and his best mate Wash we've signed two of the worst in recent memory. Probably the two biggest earners to boot. 

45 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You (and others) appear to have misunderstood my stance. I’m not a staunch Paul Warne supporter, I’m not looking to get into either camp. I’m in the middle, or perhaps slightly more “Warne in” because I’m tired of the circus Derby has been for the last few years and am quite content to have a bit of stability for a while without the drama. That’s maybe where I fit into a minority. 

I don't think you're in a minority, I think most have just bothered arguing the toss with people that think if they post their same opinion every week that they are clearly the majority. 

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe because Washington has 130 career goals compared to Sibleys 10?

Sibley has only spent 2 seasons below the champ, isn’t a striker and has far fewer appearances. Other than that, a fair comparison 😂

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Should we also assume the other team that didn't beat them are awful and have no chance of promotion?

Yeah. Portsmouth have no hope 👀

6 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Maybe they wanted to play in a team that played through midfield? I imagine this isn't the first time this exalted tactic has been played? Players talk to each other.

6 minutes ago, Rev said:

His Radio Derby interview has tipped me over the edge.

Giving up midfield as a deliberate ploy when facing the 24th best team in the league, without a single goal to their name all season, how on earth do the squad take confidence in their abilities when that's the managers mindset?

He got his tactics right at Blackpool, Hit them on the break and we score 3, Today the tactic of missing out on our midfield to play it wide is a worry, You do your homework on the opposition as you should, But to be concerned about a team that hadn't scored a goal all season and only 1 point from their games shows me PWs tactics are way short of where they should be.

I'm neither a Warne in or out and unless DCFC do something so catastrophic with results he's here until the seasons end, My concern is PW and tactics are as confusing to supporters who are trying to understand what he's doing and saying🤷‍♂️  

47 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You (and others) appear to have misunderstood my stance. I’m not a staunch Paul Warne supporter, I’m not looking to get into either camp. I’m in the middle, or perhaps slightly more “Warne in” because I’m tired of the circus Derby has been for the last few years and am quite content to have a bit of stability for a while without the drama. That’s maybe where I fit into a minority. 

In fairness look at our permanent manager record: 

Rooney - chose to leave

Cocu - agreed to leave (giving up lots of compo) 

Lampard - Chelsea poached 😂 

Rowett - Stoke poached 

Out of the last 5 permanent managers, none have been outright sacked (yet, mr Warne). That must be close to a record in the top 4 divisions ??? 

Waghorn may be marginally better but I don't think he's a good footballer. He has some excellent qualities such as striking a dead ball but as with all our forward players (except Barkhuizen) I wouldn't trust them to control the ball under pressure, turn on the ball and play a pass into space for someone. Having said that, I suspect paul Warne has banned even attempting anything but crossing the ball from absolutely anywhere and flinging a head at it.