Derby v Cambridge Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

2 hours ago, MaltRam said:

Need to find a spark. Step forward Bird and Sibley next match.

Why, did Sibbo come up on the player lottery again? Which position did he spin this time: right-back?

Otherwise, I fear he’s going to be warming that bench for at least 70 minutes at Blackpool, and not straying too far from it even after he gets off it. Hope I’m wrong!

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He's now on his list of not good people 

Is there a wall for that?

Incidentally you’ve done well to apparently forget enough Derby players such that Washington makes your all time worst 20 / possible worst 10. We’ve had whole teams who could have taken up 11 of the 20 spots available! (That said, we weren’t in League One for some of those)

Edited by jameso

30 minutes ago, jameso said:

Is there a wall for that?

Incidentally you’ve done well to apparently forget enough Derby players such that Washington makes your all time worst 20 / possible worst 10. We’ve had whole teams who could have taken up 11 of the 20 spots available! (That said, we weren’t in League One for some of those)

Just a book he adds to after training.  It's full of those who fail the bleep test and tear muscles in the warm down.

Frustrating yesterday in that we actually had a lot of the game, played some good stuff in between the boxes and created a lot of good situations while being quite solid, but while we created 3 excellent chances and should’ve won the game, we didn’t create much else. The final third needs sorting out. Waggy got into a position in the first half in the middle of their half in the 10 position where he turned and a bit of magic he’d have been running at the box in a great position - if only we had Didzy at that moment. 

Positives though - is that not 4 unbeaten in all competitions now?

11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Best performance of the season by an absolute mile, but final touch wasn’t there. I just hope that we don’t throw the baby out with the bath water based on us not winning this game. We suffocated a capable Cambridge side to absolutely no opportunities due to a controlled, concise approach. The final ball lacked, individually not good enough, but the set up and system is one for much promise. 

So, so much better and a progressive performance. I can see a ton more promise with what I saw today than our usual approach of trying to turn the game into a basketball match. 

I’ll agree that it was a relief that we never felt like conceding. For me to have been as optimistic as you are moving forwards I’d have needed to have seen us create a bit more (even if it didn’t lead to a goal).

2 decent heading opportunities (I’d only say Waghorn’s was clear cut) and a runaway train style run with NML for 2 thirds of possession is slim pickings. 

I’d agree that it was much easier to watch than when he creates as you call it a basket ball match. 

Slept on it ‘balanced’ thoughts

positives: 

1) first home game of the season I feel like I can say we never looked like losing. We were so in control we could have played for 900 minutes and not conceded which, even against weak opposition, hasn’t felt true this season before. 

2) Nelson looks better and better as the weeks go on. We’ve got a fantastic CB at this level and a player I hope can make the step back up with us when we need it. 

3) Nyambe is such an intelligent footballer but with all the physical attributes Warne would want from a player. Been a pleasure watching him. 

4) Forsyth is Forsyth. How he keeps going with 0 knees and a resurgence at left back after 2 years at CB. When Cashin looks like the weakest part of a back 4 (and he isn’t weak at all) you know you probably have the best defence in the division… 

5) Fornah showed everything you’d want from someone in his position yesterday he mopped absolutely everything up. Was always there when they broke the lines. My dad who doesn’t really comment on players in the game turned and said ‘that big lad in the middle is tidying everything up’. 

6) Barkhuizen has the pace but also some technical ability to go with it which makes the attack feel like it’s a little bit less kick and rush. 

7) we did dominate the match. Which is what I’d asked to be seeing at home. 

Negatives 

1) no one in the final third showed any sort of real quality at all. 

2) don’t want to single anyone out for having a stinker but there was one player who’d have been frustrated with his performance I think. A bit sloppy.  

3) I’m all for keeping the ball and recycling it if nothing is on (I’ve called for this and want to see it) but on some occasions, as Warne would say, the players needed to be a bit braver and trust their team mates with a firm pass forwards to them in the middle. Trust them to control it and move it on even if they have a few players around them because that’s how we’ll pull teams apart who are happy for a point. 

4) the balance up top isn’t right. I’d rather see a focal point with NML and Bark either side of them with an actual creator playing behind them rather than having 2 strikers. 

The last point which is neither positive or negative is that we held a team off at arms length who would have snapped your hand off for a point. Can we do this firstly away from home? Can we do this against a Barnsley or a Bolton etc? 

8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Slept on it ‘balanced’ thoughts

positives: 

1) first home game of the season I feel like I can say we never looked like losing. We were so in control we could have played for 900 minutes and not conceded which, even against weak opposition, hasn’t felt true this season before. 

2) Nelson looks better and better as the weeks go on. We’ve got a fantastic CB at this level and a player I hope can make the step back up with us when we need it. 

3) Nyambe is such an intelligent footballer but with all the physical attributes Warne would want from a player. Been a pleasure watching him. 

4) Forsyth is Forsyth. How he keeps going with 0 knees and a resurgence at left back after 2 years at CB. When Cashin looks like the weakest part of a back 4 (and he isn’t weak at all) you know you probably have the best defence in the division… 

5) Fornah showed everything you’d want from someone in his position yesterday he mopped absolutely everything up. Was always there when they broke the lines. My dad who doesn’t really comment on players in the game turned and said ‘that big lad in the middle is tidying everything up’. 

6) Barkhuizen has the pace but also some technical ability to go with it which makes the attack feel like it’s a little bit less kick and rush. 

7) we did dominate the match. Which is what I’d asked to be seeing at home. 

Negatives 

1) no one in the final third showed any sort of real quality at all. 

2) don’t want to single anyone out for having a stinker but there was one player who’d have been frustrated with his performance I think. A bit sloppy.  

3) I’m all for keeping the ball and recycling it if nothing is on (I’ve called for this and want to see it) but on some occasions, as Warne would say, the players needed to be a bit braver and trust their team mates with a firm pass forwards to them in the middle. Trust them to control it and move it on even if they have a few players around them because that’s how we’ll pull teams apart who are happy for a point. 

4) the balance up top isn’t right. I’d rather see a focal point with NML and Bark either side of them with an actual creator playing behind them rather than having 2 strikers. 

The last point which is neither positive or negative is that we held a team off at arms length who would have snapped your hand off for a point. Can we do this firstly away from home? Can we do this against a Barnsley or a Bolton etc? 

See that wasn't so hard was it 😀 ... I don't disagree with much of that.  

Except I think we 'almost' created a lot and it was just one of those days, but I can see how a different interpretation is that we huffed and puffed a bit ineffectively and Waghorn/Collins didn't work.

NML is getting a lot of criticism generally but I thought he beat his man regularly and drove the ball low but it didn't quite fall right.

Nelson, Niambe and Fornah were all brilliant.  Washington and Sibley didn't really have the impact I'd have hoped. 

Felt very much 'nearly' yesterday which is why some of the stuff being posted is ridiculous and tbh just plain wrong. 

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

See that wasn't so hard was it 😀 ... I don't disagree with much of that.  

Except I think we 'almost' created a lot and it was just one of those days, but I can see how a different interpretation is that we huffed and puffed a bit ineffectively and Waghorn/Collins didn't work.

NML is getting a lot of criticism generally but I thought he beat his man regularly and drove the ball low but it didn't quite fall right.

Nelson, Niambe and Fornah were all brilliant.  Washington and Sibley didn't really have the impact I'd have hoped. 

Felt very much 'nearly' yesterday which is why some of the stuff being posted is ridiculous and tbh just plain wrong. 

I’ve said time and time again I go into every match full of optimism and with a fresh slate. I never go into a game criticising the team and Warne before a ball is kicked. 

I think the frustrations for many boil down to it taking us until basically October to try and dominate and control a match? 

If this was the plan v Wigan in that first match just think how much further along we’d be by now? 

That’s where I’m still a bit frustrated. It feels like ‘early signs are positive’ shouldn’t be said as we approach October? 

Anyway if we play like that in every game we’ll win most of our matches when the quality in the final third shows and we’ll draw/lose some where our quality is missing. Either way it’s easier not to concede when we have complete control of the game which was a positive. 

8 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I've been watching since 1961 and going away since 1965. I have seen us near to extinction twice. I have seen us become Champions of England twice. I watched all of our European Cup and UEFA Cup away games in the 1970s. I am extremely supportive of David Clowes for saving our club. I don't boo the players or manager at games and I never have done. I have done my journey and so far to date I have watched Derby in c.2500 games. I have seen the highs and the lows and I still come back for more because I love the club. I've nearly completed the claim to be 'Derby 'til I die.'

But I reserve the right as a supporter to say it's good when it's good, it's bad when it's bad and in my opinion the the recent home form has been appalling and not good to watch and I am entitled to express that opinion. I don't do dishonesty.

If you have no appreciation of what Nigel Clough (2009-13) did for this club, I can only say that you would fall into the category of supporters who his father referred to as 'blind idiots' when he managed our club. If you think that what you are watching under Paul Warne at the moment is acceptable, I can assure you that Brian Clough would have called you 'a blind idiot' again.

Having said this, I hope and trust that you enjoy good vision. If not I am sorry and fully sympathetic to your problem.

Belper 2 Consett 1...after being 1-0 down, Got soaking wet, Had a good few beers and an enjoyable day was had...there's life after DCFC ☺️

As Corporal Jones would say..."they don't like it up em", 2500 games BR and more to come...that's 1k more than me, I'll never ever reach those highs 👍

Why did our leading goal scorer start with a ban from entering the area, and an order to take all free kicks and corners?

Why is it always the final pass that goes awry, and not one of the passes preceding it?  We need to cut out those final passes!

Why are we so inept in the final third?  Perhaps we need to split the pitch into four, and see how we do in quarters!

Since the new rule about showing the added mins, why does the main screen clock (correctly) run to 90min+, but the South Stand clock reset the second half at 00mins?  Get a new South Stand clock, if it can’t cope with showing the first half added mins then resetting at 45 for the second half!

Why was I stupid enough to ignore the recent past performances, and set off full of deliberate ignorance and misguided positivity?  When will I ever learn!

9 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Pail Warne’s observation that when we tried playing through the middle the passes got blocked misses the fact that he had the wrong player in the key position. He put Waghorn in the number 10 role, and the lad looked lost. He should be up front, although he is happy playing out wide. This is quite ripe for another pro-Sibley comment, so here it is. He was sat on the bench yet again. Warne acknowledges that Sibbers is the best finisher at the club, so when we are struggling to score, why put him on the bench? His best position is at number 10, but when he finally gets on, 65 minutes too late, it is stuck out wide, where Waggy prefers to be! What if Warne had played a number 10 in the number 10 role, instead of giving the job to a player whose only link to the role is having a number 10 on his back?

This. All day long.

Another reason it will always be a lottery under Warne, his tactical sense is just incomprehensible.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Frustrating yesterday in that we actually had a lot of the game, played some good stuff in between the boxes and created a lot of good situations while being quite solid, but while we created 3 excellent chances and should’ve won the game, we didn’t create much else. The final third needs sorting out. Waggy got into a position in the first half in the middle of their half in the 10 position where he turned and a bit of magic he’d have been running at the box in a great position - if only we had Didzy at that moment. 

Positives though - is that not 4 unbeaten in all competitions now?

That's like saying you're on the Titanic but at least you've got a gin & tonic! 😄

Edited by RoyMac5

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

This. All day long.

Another reason it will always be a lottery under Warne, his tactical sense is just incomprehensible.

The thing is, it’s entirely dependant on what they do, because we just do the same thing over and over again without reacting to what they do.  Yesterday, they ceded the middle of the park to us and tried to defend their 18 yard box. Which they did very well.  So we had lots of aimless possession in the middle but didn’t have the craft to break them down.  In other games they might press us high and we get forced into lumping it long to beat the press. But none of it’s down to what we’re doing.