Electric Vehicles

ram59

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TimRam said:

If you are in a shunt what's to say the batteries have not been compromised.

Do you have links regarding the first part? Just need education on the batteries used in cars. Every one I've used in many devices does not last years with the same power after many recharge cycles. Is it true an ev could be written off even if an accident is "slight" due to the unknown state of batteries?

There's lots of information out there but here's a link to a reasonable article.

Just in respect of the batteries following an accident...basically insurance companies are being ultra cautious and instead of replacing individual cells which have been damaged in an RTC,they are replacing the whole lot which is unnecessary and expensive.There are companies out there that already repair damaged batteries.It will just take time for insurers to catch up.

Also you can't really compare EV batteries to mobile devices batteries,they are completely different.

https://www.evconnect.com/blog/how-long-does-an-electric-car-battery-last

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

For all the dead tree press making comments about the damage to the roads being caused by heavy EVs, apparently this was not quite the correct evaluation of a report into road damage. 

Yes, they acknowledged that average vehicle weight is increasing, but of course we have heavy vehicles delivering goods every day. However, the report made a correlation between increased adverse weather and increased road damage. 

It's likely that the biggest causes of the extra damage are environmental, so global warming will be more responsible than the batteries - and they will be helping with the global warming problems, rather than adding to them. The papers don't want to tell you that though! 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, GboroRam said:

For all the dead tree press making comments about the damage to the roads being caused by heavy EVs, apparently this was not quite the correct evaluation of a report into road damage. 

Yes, they acknowledged that average vehicle weight is increasing, but of course we have heavy vehicles delivering goods every day. However, the report made a correlation between increased adverse weather and increased road damage. 

It's likely that the biggest causes of the extra damage are environmental, so global warming will be more responsible than the batteries - and they will be helping with the global warming problems, rather than adding to them. The papers don't want to tell you that though! 

Agree on the road damage issue ,ie it’s caused in the main by heavy vehicles not slightly heavier ev s, don’t agree on the better for the environment bit yet as claims are made only on what comes out the back of them and if governments ect are serious about improving things then they really need to be doing in depth research into the pros and cons of all new tech before jumping blindly in and pushing stuff on the public with this forced consumerism which we all too often find to be blind alley s which all too often turn out to be just as damaging or even more so but fill the pockets of the few and keep the taxes rolling , covering up a financial system that has deep problems ,

so in short , im not anti ev , I think they are part of the answer but are not THE answer

Edited by Archied

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/05/2024 at 12:16, Stive Pesley said:

I'm not anti-EV either. I would just rather the EVs were efficient integrated public transport EVs and we stopped with the folly of cars being a status symbol and everyone in the family needing to have one. 

A completely integrated transport system can only be achieved in city's and towns and it should definitely be taking place but a large part of the country just isn't viable or suitable and will always need some form of personal transport and a clean and efficient EV is the ideal solution for those areas.

On 01/05/2024 at 18:09, GboroRam said:

My washing machine has just packed up ,,,,, bloody global warming😡

13 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Well, made the decision to buy an EV. 300 miles on a full charge. 

My work allows staff to charge up for free, and I reckon a couple of trips to remote sites per week will allow me to claim enough mileage to cover the finance on the car. 

Pays for itself. 

What car have you gone for?

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

My work allows staff to charge up for free, and I reckon a couple of trips to remote sites per week will allow me to claim enough mileage to cover the finance on the car. 

Pays for itself. 

Easy choice then,plus a much nicer drive and zero emissions 👍

4 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Pays for itself. 

300 miles on a full charge, hope the sites aren't too remote.

9 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Easy choice then,plus a much nicer drive and zero emissions 👍

In what way a “much nicer drive”? - my diesel saloon is a lovely place to be, drives wonderfully, is Euro 6 rated so emits mainly water. Not sure what an EV would bring that could possibly make it in any way “nicer”…

28 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

In what way a “much nicer drive”? - my diesel saloon is a lovely place to be, drives wonderfully, is Euro 6 rated so emits mainly water. Not sure what an EV would bring that could possibly make it in any way “nicer”…

Smoother,quieter,quicker...there's no comparison to be honest,try and have a drive of one if you can,it will open your eyes mate.

13 hours ago, Wolfie said:

What car have you gone for?

Hyundai Kona 64Kw.

200bhp, not that I drive fast but far better pick up than my Clio GT.

Top speed 102, which sounds puny but even in Germany I won't go over a ton on the autobahn. 

Bargain. I was looking at a hateful, evil tesla but with all the extras and dealer sleight of hand, a 290 monthly payment turned out to be over 400 on PCP. I ended up with a HP of 345 per month. Happy motorist here. 

13 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Hyundai Kona 64Kw.

200bhp, not that I drive fast but far better pick up than my Clio GT.

Top speed 102, which sounds puny but even in Germany I won't go over a ton on the autobahn. 

Bargain. I was looking at a hateful, evil tesla but with all the extras and dealer sleight of hand, a 290 monthly payment turned out to be over 400 on PCP. I ended up with a HP of 345 per month. Happy motorist here. 

Was the jump in monthly cost the “optional” extras like Tesla remotely turning the brakes on and allowing the radio to work?

24 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

70 miles is my usual one, if I'm going to anywhere 100+ miles I'll use a different method. 

Since I retired,I've delivered new cars on a part time basis (about a 50 percent mix of petrols and electric cars,very,very rarely a diesel) and despite my initial scepticism,I've found that the British charging infrastructure is actually now very good and improving on a weekly basis.

I regularly deliver from 150 to 300 miles away with just a comfort break every couple of hours which allows a 30 minutes top up charge whilst I'm there.

The trouble is,that the media are perpetrating myths that don't stand up anymore about ev's but it's all the public have to go on

I started my journey with a plug in hybrid three years ago but having found that I use electric 90 percent of the time,we are moving to a full EV in a couple of months (polestar 2 or Hyundai ioniq 5 most probably as they are my favourite cars to deliver)

56 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Smoother,quieter,quicker...there's no comparison to be honest,try and have a drive of one if you can,it will open your eyes mate.

Careful of pedestrians in carparks. One was at my shoulder overtaking before I knew it was there. My hearing is good. Quite a shock to be honest.

Edited by TimRam

5 minutes ago, tinman said:

Was the jump in monthly cost the “optional” extras like Tesla remotely turning the brakes on and allowing the radio to work?

No. The optional maintenance extension seemed prudent, as tesla will charge thousands if anything breaks. Then the really attractive Apr wasn't available so the rates went up. And because it was PCP I thought it sensible to pay for the bodywork package, because they'll shaft you on the return of the vehicle.