Electric Vehicles

ram59

8 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Thanks for the replies, and for the avoidance of doubt, I'm only asking about the charging infrastructure as a problem I want to see solved - rather than being a grumpy old git suggesting that EVs will never work because (shakes fist)

I hate owning a car anyway - petrol or electric. I just want the cheapest option available to me, with the least hassle. Does anyone actually make an EV yet that isn't a willy-waving "big car"? Feels like car design in general has been increasing the size for a long time. When you see "big cars" from the 70s and 80s now, they look tiny in comparison to the massive cars that everyone seems to have these days (what my wife calls "fat bloke cars")

image.thumb.png.eacef7cbe897c370e30dc73675075dbe.png

The only vehicles in the ads seem to be expensive suv types. Are there any smaller, cheaper ones or do they have less range than these?  My petrol car is 15 years old, low milage and still going strong. Will an ev still be "going strong" after 15 years with low milage? Not sure about the battery tech so any info most welcome!

13 minutes ago, Magicman said:

EV are over hype once they load the charges they become expensive not only to buy but run. The great climate change hoax is being exposed and once the subsidy scams for green energy are lumped into it its all a con trick to control the sheeple.

Top trolling.

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

They've been trialling the use of chargers built into lamposts - but even if they added a charger to every lampost (at goodness knows what cost), it wouldn't give everyone that needs it access - so there's no obvious solution.

I'd love to know what the legal situation will be if someone iinjures themselves tripping over a charging cable that's been left across the pavement.....

Only 14.99 from Amazon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EDION-Trip-Hazard-Warning-Charging/dp/B0BKPLCW1F

3 minutes ago, TimRam said:

The only vehicles in the ads seem to be expensive suv types. Are there any smaller, cheaper ones or do they have less range than these?  My petrol car is 15 years old, low milage and still going strong. Will an ev still be "going strong" after 15 years with low milage? Not sure about the battery tech so any info most welcome!

More info than you can shake a stick at here:

https://www.speakev.com/forums/#general-electric-vehicle-discussion.1

Most batteries have to have at least an 8 year warranty (I think).

I started looking at Kia's and Hyundai's for their respective warranty terms (7years & 5years), and I think MG have recently joined in with 7 years warranty?

6 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

That already looks twice as big as I need it to be!

Had a look at a Seat Mii - but they seem to cost almost double the petrol equivalent. The prices have to come down if they want mass adoption surely?

Have a look on something like carwow. I've not researched small EV cars as I don't want one. 😉 

I like the look of the Kias and Hyundais as they come with lots of tech as standard. As for cost, yeah they are much pricier new comparably  it seems. I think there are deals to be had in the used EV market as there were lots bought as company cars for the tax breaks they got.

17 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Couple over the road from me have 2 EVs - think one is a Kia and the other a VW - both smallish 'city' cars...

What model kia is it? Website states cheapest model on road price is £40k+ I would not be able to finance £40k car. Still unsure about a second hand one or buying process. Do they tell you battery strength and how long they will last? Is mileage a good indication?

Edited by TimRam

3 minutes ago, TimRam said:

What model kia is it? Website states cheapest model on road price is £40k+ I would not be able to finance £40k car. Still unsure about a second hand one or buying process. Do they tell you battery strength and how long they will last? Is mileage a good indication?

With the Kias you either can buy an Approved Used car that has full 7 year warranty or one (Assured) with the remainder of the original warranty left.

The battery size is 'indicated' by the mileage you can expect ie 

https://used-uk.kia.com/

image.thumb.png.acd752e185e04210449891fa53ac5a5f.png

a 64kwh battery is expected to do 280 miles - but will be dependent on temperature and driving. As well as battery kwh you also have to consider the charging speed.

10 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Sorry mate - no idea as I'm not really into EVs so only pay attention as they drive past in their 'milkfloat'.....if I get chance I'll have a look this weekend...

I think one of the things that surprised me as an ICE driver was that you have to learn new driving techniques to get the best economy out of EV cars. Regenerative braking being one of the main ones I think. I'm only just at the start of investigating EVs but think our next car will be one and to that end we had a smart meter fitted to take advantage of cheap/night electricity for charging. The next bit is looking at getting a charger fitted, although that isn't a necessity.

Edited by RoyMac5

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I saw this news article - sounds like they are way ahead of Tesla in this regard

Meanwhile, as a city dwelling family who do about 2000 miles a year in our one small 3 door car, I have no issues with replacing it with an EV when the time comes, but as we live in an area of terraced houses, I've still yet to have anyone explain to me the plan for how we charge EVs. There are only a handful few houses around us with EVs and that has already led to "spaghetti pavement" scenarios with trailing wires

There is no doubt this is a challenge. If the government was genuinely serious they should have forced house builders to come up with a solution for this 5 years ago.  Still new houses being built in the same way. It's bonkers.

For all the existing properties, if there is demand there will be a solution. In the same way they managed to run cable TV across all the cities in the 90s and 2000s there will surely be an equivalent focus on pavement digging in the coming years.  Like this option maybe: https://www.urbanelectric.london/

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

It's just amazing how chaotic our government is. They win one bi-election in Uxbridge by opposing ULEZ and now some think tank consultants seem to think that their only hope of victory in the next election is to embrace the petrol engine. It is just heartbreaking to watch 

It's incredible how they have managed to anger the Green lobby and the car manufacturers at the same time. 

I'm all for electric vehicles, if more money was spent building the infrastructure necessary to be at the same convenience as a petrol/diesel car. Living on a terrace street for the example, where are you meant to charge the vehicles? Do we go and park in a designated charging area for 10-15 minutes then drive home? 

Let's not forget petrol and diesel won't just disappear off the streets, even when the ban does come into force, they'll be a mix for another 5-10 years afterwards. We might even see Hydrogen cars come into the market, if the price of developing these cars went down