Electric Vehicles

ram59

I've just been reading that China has devised a nuclear powered battery with almost zero radiation risk. Output is minimal and the life of the battery is 50 years. Interesting how this develops. First step will be a phone battery but who knows how it will go? 

We're still in the infancy of power development. Charging will be quicker, safer and battery capacity will be better. Right now it's workable but inconvenient. I'm sure filling stations were equally inconvenient in the dawn years of the petrol car. 

17 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I've just been reading that China has devised a nuclear powered battery ......................

I can just imagine pulling into the filling/charging station............

'Eight ounces of plutonium please' (what could possibly go wrong)?

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I've just been reading that China has devised a nuclear powered battery with almost zero radiation risk. Output is minimal and the life of the battery is 50 years. Interesting how this develops. First step will be a phone battery but who knows how it will go? 

We're still in the infancy of power development. Charging will be quicker, safer and battery capacity will be better. Right now it's workable but inconvenient. I'm sure filling stations were equally inconvenient in the dawn years of the petrol car. 

Yeah - we had an LPG camper van for a while and it was a nightmare trying to find places to fill it up before it ran out. Didn't help that the fuel gauge was totally unreliable

But back on point - the EV race isn't actually about EVs at all - it's just about who can come up with the best battery solution. The car part is largely irrelevant. Just wheels to get you from A to B

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I'm sure filling stations were equally inconvenient in the dawn years of the petrol car. 

If yer use Costco, it still is since they quadrupled* their membership since covid!   🤣

*I made that stat up, but that's how it seems.  No way was it anywhere near as busy, pre-covid.

7 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

From my experience, the AC has negligible impact on the range. Driving style (going above 58mph, quickly accelerating, late braking) and temperature (cold) result in range dropping off. In the more extreme UK conditions going along the A38 at about 75mph, with quick acceleration off roundabouts, my true range would be about half. In the summer, going to and from work at 50mph I would get my true range.

Even ICE cars are impacted by driving style. Depending on how you currently drive and the car you have, you could probably get an extra 15% more miles out of it if you practice hypermiling - something I grew accustomed to when driving electric. Even on a long distance motorway journey, I wouldn't go above 60mph as it would take longer to get to my destination by going faster and charging on the motorway than it would by going slower and only charging when I arrive at the final destination.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

This is the key quote from the article I think. 

"most legacy car makers, at least those that are bothering to make EVs at scale at all, are still focused on the top end of the market, selling premium and heavy and high cost EVs, largely to protect their ICE business. In the US, the major car makers are retreating rapidly on their EV plans."

It's the likes of GM, Ford and Toyota who have most to lose here.

10 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

This is the key quote from the article I think. 

"most legacy car makers, at least those that are bothering to make EVs at scale at all, are still focused on the top end of the market, selling premium and heavy and high cost EVs, largely to protect their ICE business. In the US, the major car makers are retreating rapidly on their EV plans."

It's the likes of GM, Ford and Toyota who have most to lose here.

Well the ICE manufacturers will all lose out eventually anyway when they are forced to move to EVs or cease to exist

My point was that the cheapest Tesla model in the UK currently is £43k - and that's a ridiculous price for a normal person 

If BYD are bringing EVs to market at a third of that price, they are quickly going to marginalise Tesla as a "high end" brand, unless Tesla also start to make an affordable model

43 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Well the ICE manufacturers will all lose out eventually anyway when they are forced to move to EVs or cease to exist

My point was that the cheapest Tesla model in the UK currently is £43k - and that's a ridiculous price for a normal person 

If BYD are bringing EVs to market at a third of that price, they are quickly going to marginalise Tesla as a "high end" brand, unless Tesla also start to make an affordable model

Even more ridiculous is an Astra for close to £40K and a Mini for over £50K - those are the manufacturers that will realy suffer if BYD undercut them....

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

image.thumb.png.31b00f48ad9d237c77875deba4e00eba.png

Tesla was the only manufacturer to win more than one award at the S&P global mobility automotive awards released yesterday.

They actually won four awards.

BYD won nothing.

10,000 EV cars abandoned in China. 

Chinese E bikes on fire as well. 

Edited by cstand

On 17/01/2024 at 14:13, Stive Pesley said:

Yeah - we had an LPG camper van for a while and it was a nightmare trying to find places to fill it up before it ran out. Didn't help that the fuel gauge was totally unreliable

But back on point - the EV race isn't actually about EVs at all - it's just about who can come up with the best battery solution. The car part is largely irrelevant. Just wheels to get you from A to B

I had a lpg conversion freelander, crock of poo in general, but we could run on either gas or petrol ?

17 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I had a lpg conversion freelander, crock of poo in general, but we could run on either gas or petrol ?

Yeah ours was duel fuel to be honest, but it was so uneconomical on petrol, compared to LPG we developed an aversion to running it on petrol unless we were desperate

• 1 month later...
On 27/02/2024 at 12:22, Stive Pesley said:

Looks like I was right, as reports are now suggesting that Tesla are binning their mass-market affordable Model 2 plans

Seems that their tanking share price is focusing their minds on cracking self-driving, rather than mass market production of a standard drive EV - as long term, it's self-driving that will win the market (and up the share price)