Kernow

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Ward   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth

Thompson   Hourihane

Mendez-Laing   Bird   Waghorn

Collins

Subs: Vickers, Bradley, Rooney, Wilson, Elder, Smith, Washington

I don't think that we will be seeing a lot of Ward as RB in a back four. He played there for Peterborough against us at London Road in the first half. He was awful and Roberts and Dobbin took him apart. At half-time, Ferguson changed the formation and the game. He went to 3-5-2 with Ward wide right in the midfield and he was brilliant as Peterborough took us apart to win 2-0. The Peterborough fans warned us when we signed him that he was a wing-back or a winger but not a full back.

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I don't think that we will be seeing a lot of Ward as RB in a back four. He played there for Peterborough against us at London Road in the first half. He was awful and Roberts and Dobbin took him apart. At half-time, Ferguson changed the formation and the game. He went to 3-5-2 with Ward wide right in the midfield and he was brilliant as Peterborough took us apart to win 2-0. The Peterborough fans warned us when we signed him that he was a wing-back or a winger but not a full back.

Exactly my point 👏

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You made me fact check. I only recalled him touching it around the 90 minute mark after chasing shadows for most of the half. 

He was actually on the ball only 5 times. 1 successful pass (57 mins), 4 unsuccessful (54, 65, 74, 93).

Wow, that's pretty insane. Might as well play someone like Darren Robinson if that's what we're getting.

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You made me fact check. I only recalled him touching it around the 90 minute mark after chasing shadows for most of the half. 

He was actually on the ball only 5 times. 1 successful pass (57 mins), 4 unsuccessful (54, 65, 74, 93).

Interesting and valuable fact thank you. But I feel duty bound to guide you that there is a beautiful world outside.

23 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Can / should Forsyth play LWB twice in 4 days?

We'll be paying good money to have Elder as our first choice LWB, so perhaps he'll be forgiven for Blackpool and be given the nod?

Forsyth shouldn’t have had to come on and play last Tuesday but unfortunately he is our best defender currently 

What are we going to be coming up against tomorrow, then?

Here's a blog by an Oxford supporter on their away trips so far! Nice days out ruined by the football.

https://www.rageonline.co.uk/fans-view-23-24-no1-cambridge-away/

All the faults that were there previously were back – and some – and laughing in our faces. How cruel is that given this was supposed to be the start of a positive new epoch?

Not one of our new outfield starters impressed me. Our movement of the ball was painfully slow.

There was little movement in the final third and our goal threat was patently lacking. Our full-backs never got going in an attacking sense. The number of long cross-field high balls was embarrassing.

Talk about easy – this may turn out to be the easiest game of football the Cambridge defence have all season.

This one could be a one off. However on this evidence we may have reason to worry that yet again we are not up to competing with teams that play like Cambridge do. Or that Manning can’t adapt to different styles of opponents and can only play one way.

https://www.rageonline.co.uk/fans-view-23-24-no-2-bristol-city-away/

We had no creativity. We had no one who could run with the ball. We had no width.

We didn’t mark. We left the men Bristol got wide alone. Or if we did try to mark we often got the wrong side of the man.

We didn’t close down. We didn’t win 50:50s.

We’ve got players way off form let alone a little below their best. The defence we thought was sorted is anything but.

It’s a long term project. He’s only been here a matter of months so turning on him would be nonsensical but there’s head and heart. I’ve often written that it takes me ages before I start shouting or even thinking that it’s time for the manager to go.  However, for Liam to win me round he’s got to start producing soon.

Positives? – Some are obviously needed. So I’ll go with, we’re at home on Saturday and it will all be very different. I can’t though produce any logical argument to support that.

That being said they did go on to win the home game on Saturday!

Edited by Kokosnuss

Not sure what to expect from Oxford, to be honest. 

We're looking at a team with 3 wins in 7 months. Only two away wins since last October - Fleetwood in January and Forest Green in April. Despite all that, they were our manager's pick and a lot of peoples choice for a promotion rival this season. A tight home win against Carlisle missing their best player may not have been the confidence boost they were all hoping for so hopefully we're playing a side that is slightly overrated and undercooked. 

Ruben Rodrigues is their fans pick. Cameron Brannigan is a cause of frustration as much as inspiration nowadays and they don't seem to have a lot of goals in their side. Billy Bodin isn't a bad and does chip in, but Marcus Browne seems to be more miss than hit. Ruben Rodrigues will be the one to watch but still very unproven at this level and Mark Harris who does have a bit of pace but his finishing makes Conor Sammon look like Alan Shearer by all accounts.

It will be an interesting game. I'm hoping to see us suffocate the life out of the game and them in a controlled, dominant victory. We just don't seem to do that enough. 

3 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Any thoughts on Wildsmith’s distribution. Personally, I sometimes find it infuriating  I get “calm heads” and all that but he rarely passes it out quickly when he has a chance. Waits for us and the opposition to reset. Think at home especially, it brings our tempo down. 

He usually looks to play out quick then gives up so not sure if it's him or the outfield players at fault but either way we never break quickly when it goes back to him.

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Not sure what to expect from Oxford, to be honest. 

We're looking at a team with 3 wins in 7 months. Only two away wins since last October - Fleetwood in January and Forest Green in April. Despite all that, they were our manager's pick and a lot of peoples choice for a promotion rival this season. A tight home win against Carlisle missing their best player may not have been the confidence boost they were all hoping for so hopefully we're playing a side that is slightly overrated and undercooked. 

Ruben Rodrigues is their fans pick. Cameron Brannigan is a cause of frustration as much as inspiration nowadays and they don't seem to have a lot of goals in their side. Billy Bodin isn't a bad and does chip in, but Marcus Browne seems to be more miss than hit. Ruben Rodrigues will be the one to watch but still very unproven at this level and Mark Harris who does have a bit of pace but his finishing makes Conor Sammon look like Alan Shearer by all accounts.

It will be an interesting game. I'm hoping to see us suffocate the life out of the game and them in a controlled, dominant victory. We just don't seem to do that enough. 

Interesting points. From what I've heard they will like to play it around at the back and I'm hoping that this suits us, that we can press better than last year and force some errors.