v Oxford United (H) Match Thread

Kernow

46 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

He usually looks to play out quick then gives up so not sure if it's him or the outfield players at fault but either way we never break quickly when it goes back to him.

I think the run to the edge of the box and feint to roll it out is automatic for him. I’m not sure he’s honestly looking for a quick out ball, otherwise I’d be expecting our midfield/attackers to be on their toes a bit quicker (with all that pace they have! 😁). The quick, flat kick from hands dried up after a few games last year, and the couple he did try later in the season either went straight out or were dealt with by the opposition.  He’s a great shot stopper though. And has kept us in games more often than not.

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Closing remarks were interesting on the squad building front, words along the lines of “we’ve not changed everything we want to yet, people are under contract” and also “we’ll probably add a few more by the end of the window”. 

My favourite bit was:

’there’s games we’ll dominate and lose by a goal.. there’s games we’ll dominate and win by three goals’ 

I like that we’re going to dominate games as a prerequisite - nice to hear! 

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

You could be correct , we “Lost” 20k last Tuesday for the midweek Blackpool game. Not seen any running totals on the crowd for Oxford like we usually do. Weather should not be a problem tonight.

No, but it's still a midweek game in prime holiday season. Not sure how many they've sold, but I think we will be seeing 25k

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

You could be correct , we “Lost” 20k last Tuesday for the midweek Blackpool game. Not seen any running totals on the crowd for Oxford like we usually do. Weather should not be a problem tonight.

Come on. You know very well that a mid week first round game during the holiday season in the EFL cup is, and has never been, any sort of reasonable measure of how many fans we have “lost” whether in general or for mid week games specifically.

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Come on. You know very well that a mid week first round game during the holiday season in the EFL cup is, and has never been, any sort of reasonable measure of how many fans we have “lost” whether in general or for mid week games specifically.

I think Jim cast his bait looking for a bite. He'll be delighted that he reeled you in so quickly 😂

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

I posted on the first page of this thread what I think the attendance will be.

Irrespective of how many actually turn up, we have around 22,000 season ticket holders, a minimum of 3,000 non season tickets + around 1,000 Oxford fans. It doesn’t really matter if a few season ticket holders don’t turn up, the seat is still paid for.

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I think Jim cast his bait looking for a bite. He'll be delighted that he reeled you in so quickly 😂

No really. I don’t understand why crowds go down in midweek. We only had 22k for our big cup game last season v WHUTD( them 5k). I know fans work late etc , but don’t we pick up fans who work Saturday’s? And if you are a ST holder and can’t go - let your mate have it who will get behind the team.

10 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

No really. I don’t understand why crowds go down in midweek. We only had 22k for our big cup game last season v WHUTD( them 5k). I know fans work late etc , but don’t we pick up fans who work Saturday’s? And if you are a ST holder and can’t go - let your mate have it who will get behind the team.

There will always be other mitigating factors at play, work, childcare, transport, caring commitments, bed times with work/school the next day (aside from during holidays), geography, perhaps simply down to the costs involved etc.

From what I’ve gathered on here there are a number who attend home games on a Saturday with a fair commute involved so perhaps can only do so on a weekend.

People go when they can, if there’s something preventing them attending midweek that’s their business. We mostly get good crowds midweek for the league we’re in and excellent crowds on a weekend, none of which is to be sniffed at for me. 

31 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I don't disagree. I went to the Blackpool game but I thought your remark about  a loss of £20k for that game was a wind-up. If I got that wrong I apologise and I'll change my opinion to just 'plainly bonkers.' 😂. Why do you think we closed two stands from the outset of the tickets going on sale?

I think the majority of STH who don't attend mid-week League games are shift-workers or people who travel above average distances and don't have DCFC mates on their doorstep to lend them to. I know of several junior STH who are not allowed to go midweek because they've got school next day. I live locally and rarely miss but when I go on holiday, my Derby fan mates are all STH (22k out of 25k regulars are) and I don't have anyone to pass it on to. My seat goes unused but it's no big deal because I've chucked my money in the pot anyway.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

15 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I don't disagree. I went to the Blackpool game but I thought your remark about  a loss of £20k for that game was a wind-up. If I got that wrong I apologise and I'll change my opinion to just 'plainly bonkers.' 😂. Why do you think we closed two stands from the outset of the tickets going on sale?

I think the majority of STH who don't attend mid-week League games are shift-workers or people who travel above average distances and don't have DCFC mates on their doorstep to lend them to. I know of several junior STH who are not allowed to go midweek because they've got school next day. I live locally and rarely miss but when I go on holiday, my Derby fan mates are all STH (22k out of 25k regulars are) and I don't have anyone to pass it on to. My seat goes unused but it's no big deal because I've chucked my money in the pot anyway.

I know the Blackpool game didn’t work out , but it was a great chance to take kids along with no school and it was very affordable. I went to all the Papa Jons games last season and was suprised to see fans in their Rams shirts bringing kids in Man City shirts. Never in our day🙈