Pride Before The Fall-Ryan Conway

TuffLuff

@Macintosh’s post in the Waggy thread pointed this out but Ryan Conways book about the Cocu-Rooney years has a release date and is available for pre order: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pride-Before-Fall-Play-Off-Extinction/dp/1801505039

Be interesting to see if anything new comes from it and I hope it does well for Ryan.

Maybe worth pointing out that Ryan himself hasn’t posted anywhere that there is a confirmed release date or anything just yet so may be best to hold off,m until he announces? Especially if you want a different link to Amazon!

Edit:

Ok it’s all up and confirmed on the Pitch Publishing website with a few different links so guess we are all good!

https://www.pitchpublishing.co.uk/shop/pride-fall

Edited by TuffLuff

7 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Maybe worth pointing out that Ryan himself hasn’t posted anywhere that there is a confirmed release date or anything just yet so may be best to hold off,m until he announces? Especially if you want a different link to Amazon!

perhaps rooney’s lawyers have a thing or two to say about the release date   I would imagine MM’s lawyers might take a look as well 

I really wanted it to work out with Cocu. Obviously, I want it to work out with every Derby manager but I really thought we were onto something with Cocu, it just felt like we had got ourselves someone a bit special. So sad when that didn't happen, and equally sad to see that Vitesse, who he is now managing, have only achieved the 30% win rate that he got at Derby.

If ifs and buts were apples and nuts eh!

7 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I really wanted it to work out with Cocu. Obviously, I want it to work out with every Derby manager but I really thought we were onto something with Cocu, it just felt like we had got ourselves someone a bit special. So sad when that didn't happen, and equally sad to see that Vitesse, who he is now managing, have only achieved the 30% win rate that he got at Derby.

+1

From the snippet we've seen, there's confirmation he was undermined by Mel recruiting Rooney.

11 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

+1

From the snippet we've seen, there's confirmation he was undermined by Mel recruiting Rooney.

What's the reason at Vitesse? He's a lovely bloke for sure, maybe Mel wanted a back up just in case? 

8 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I see it now as the right man at the wrong time. How he infiltrated the youth into the squad and our style of play was exactly what Morris and the fans were after and it was taking a very good shape on the pitch before the covid shutdown. I don’t think anyone was expecting play offs that season, but I think the players and the fans were just starting to buy into what Cocu was wanting. Then covid happened and behind the scenes it was falling apart. Reading the post on the Waggy thread it seems that Rooney was dividing the players, our scouting and recruitment was a mess and the finances speak for themselves. That second season everyone’s heads went and it just got worse and worse.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What's the reason at Vitesse?

He's doing well there. Vitesse weren't very good at all before he joined so it was always a difficult job, his main aim was safety which he managed quite easily in the end. I imagine they also have ownership issues as their owner (or former, not sure) is a Russian oligarch. Won last 5/7 of the season including a 1-0 win away at champions Feyenoord.  

43 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

and equally sad to see that Vitesse, who he is now managing, have only achieved the 30% win rate that he got at Derby

Ah okay @Jubbs I just accepted the 30% win rate at Vitesse. Maybe it will get better as it did here for a time.

58 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

perhaps rooney’s lawyers have a thing or two to say about the release date   I would imagine MM’s lawyers might take a look as well 

I can't really think that Rooney should be worried; I expect him to come out of it very well. If Mel decides that the contents inspire him to 'relish' another day in court which is his usual starting point, then expect him to end up capitulating completely with an out of court settlement, providing no non-disclosure agreements are breached. Following his actions within the club that we already know about, his starting point would be as one of the least-likely petitioners ever to want to step foot inside a UK libel court; any self-respecting KC would genuinely 'relish' the opportunity to cross-examine him, a la Rebekah Vardy. Remember also that the wraps would be removed in court from any existing non-disclosure agreements; it would risk the whole murky story being fully exposed. 

The last thing Mel is seeking is any more bad publicity about his time with Derby County. There's been enough and he's trying to put it behind him. There is enough we already know to make it a very interesting story without introducing anything that might be open to ridicule. I expect that Ryan has fully researched the Administration Post on here, purely as a comprehensive barometer to public feeling; Boycie could become famous throughout the land!

I've booked my pre-order and I eagerly look forward to reading it. It will be good that the story of this dark period in the club's history will be available so soon. Well done Ryan Conway for getting in so early.

On 08/08/2023 at 13:29, Brailsford Ram said:

I can't really think that Rooney should be worried; I expect him to come out of it very well. If

why would rooney come out of it well? only one reason, threats from his lawyers. You’re (still) deluded if you think Rooney was a positive for us either as a player or manager. Big mistake to fall into the trap set by Rooney’s pr team that, if Morris was bad for us, Rooney must have been good for us. We had a lucky escape from Rooney and his agent  

You should look at the extracts from the book in the Waghorn thread. Not convinced those extracts will make the published version mind you. 

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

why would rooney come out of it well? only one reason, threats from his lawyers. You’re (still) deluded if you think Rooney was a positive for us either as a player or manager. Big mistake to fall into the trap set by Rooney’s pr team that, if Morris was bad for us, Rooney must have been good for us. We had a lucky escape from Rooney and his agent  

You should look at the extracts from the book in the Waghorn thread. Not convinced those extracts will make the published version mind you. 

Nah, not sure about that one bit.

Rooney had his personal interests but it's hard to deny he stood by the club in their darkest hour - sometimes paying out of his own pocket to do so. We all know Rooney had no invested interest in Derby and was here for a share of the club or some business interest - why would he be here for anything else. But my view is that he acted with decency and integrity (inside the boundaries of someone here for business reasons) and could have completely dropped us (and others around him) under the proverbial bus on more than one occasion. Doesn't mean I want Rooney back, or anything like that, but I do appreciate what he did for us at the time he did it.

I know, you don't agree!

10 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Nah, not sure about that one bit.

Rooney had his personal interests but it's hard to deny he stood by the club in their darkest hour - sometimes paying out of his own pocket to do so. We all know Rooney had no invested interest in Derby and was here for a share of the club or some business interest - why would he be here for anything else. But my view is that he acted with decency and integrity (inside the boundaries of someone here for business reasons) and could have completely dropped us (and others around him) under the proverbial bus on more than one occasion. Doesn't mean I want Rooney back, or anything like that, but I do appreciate what he did for us at the time he did it.

I know, you don't agree!

Brilliant figurehead, so so manager.

We needed a figurehead more than we needed a manager, so it suited both parties.

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Maybe it’s just me but I can’t think of a period of Derby’s history that I’d be less interested to revisit.

I mean, if I’m honest, I want to forget it!

I thought the same about Nigel Pearson’s tenure, but we appear to be currently witnessing the live recreation!

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think you are in a small minority, not unusual, if you don't think there was some good in how Rooney held the club together when Morris stopped communicating information about our parlous state to everyone, including him as the manager who was doing everything he could to muster enough points to defeat the points penalty with the team packed with academy players. Did you not watch the wins against Fulham and Bournemouth? We were relegated for the sins of Mel, not Rooney.

I read the extracts from the book and I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why that will not appear in the published version and I don't think that Rooney or his advisers will even blink if they bother to read it. Max Lowe's comments are expressed opinions of a footballer about his experience of a former manager. The sort of opinions that are published every day of the week in the football world. Rooney himself has frequently made adverse comments about people in the football world. When was the last time a player or a manager sought resort to settle his differences in the libel courts? Sugar v Venables and Willy Morgan v Tommy Docherty come to mind in the past 60 years but they rested upon actions that could be proved to be dishonest and malicious, Rumpole. There is no mileage in what Max Lowe has said. The statements about Cocu and Rooney are just what they say they are - perceived rumours and nothing more. Nothing for anyone to fear. You cannot be libelled for stating what you perceive to be an honestly held opinion.

If you think there is more to it I can only say that you are a conspiracy theorist or a misguided sensationalist or simply lacking in knowledge and experience of the workings of the legal system. You see things that others don't. I'm looking forward to reading it. If you are hoping for a legal intervention from Rooney, I think disappointment will be staring you in the face.

Edited by Brailsford Ram