v Blackpool (H) Match Thread

Ambitious

Just now, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I agree with you. Although, isn’t that the case with both Wigan andBlackpool? Why is it that their players look better organised do you think? 

Did Wigan look more organised than us? We created a number of very good chances against Wigan, I don't think it's poor organisation that made Bradley underplay a pass or Wildsmith flap at the ball. 

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

That's fair enough, but squad wise I'm not enturly sure we'd get that much better whoever was the manager - older one dimensional players are the ones we can get free/cheap with some level of ability in their one dimension, or we could get prime run-around-a-lot guys with an even lower skill set.

So we are stuck in limbo right now. Trying to do what we are doing, we are better with lower “talent” with the legs and stamina we need than what we do have. Ideally you’d have a bit of both, but currently we have all of one and none of another. It’s going to be a mammoth remainder of the transfer window, that is for sure. 

The big worry is we could easily be 4 games into the season with 1 or less points and out of the league cup to boot. We have never been a good away team and we always struggle at Burton, and Oxford are a good side. We need to get this thing organised - fast. 

Edited by Srg

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yano to drop out of the playoffs you actually have to be in them in the first place.....remember that massive unbeaten run we went on when we were pushing for Automatic promotion?

Probably not as some folks appear to have selective memories on here and always regurgitate the negative outcomes to reinforce their own personal narratives. 

I haven't tried to defend the indefensible this evening but by Christ there's some people on here that I'm sure have a voodoo doll of Warne sitting at home. 

Love your optimism but question for you is, from what we have seen this do we look better it worse than last season?

If the later then this team wouldn’t have made the play offs anytime during last season.

Forget the concerns about what's going on in attack, having just caught those highlights and I couldn't watch the game as I was working I'd be gravely concerned about the tortoise and the slug partnership in the centre of our defence, route one easy as you like every time in behind. Doesn't matter what lack of quality there is in the opposition if we gift that option to any side in this league, you don't need quality to use it just pace and its not even really quick just comparatively quick. We cannot play a high line with the likes of Bradley and Cash. 

Losing in the league cup isn’t catastrophic, neither is losing 2 matches in a row. However, as it’s the start of the season until that first point and win is earned, fans will be on edge.

It also doesn’t help that there’s pressure both internally and externally for us to be one of the front runners. Also our form towards the back end of last season will start to make things look unsavoury the longer our poor start continues. 

I’m pro Warne and want it to work. But lose the next two and things will start to get sour on here and throughout the fan base in general. Can’t say I’ll be immune to this either.

Hoping we’ve got a few decent signings up our sleeve ready to join asap.

Just now, Andicis said:

Did Wigan look more organised than us? We created a number of very good chances against Wigan, I don't think it's poor organisation that made Bradley underplay a pass or Wildsmith flap at the ball. 

I can’t answer as I couldn’ t go as am on holiday but from everything I have read Wigan seemed better organised and had a clear pattern of play that was evident to see. I have to be honest and say I haven’t really understood what we are trying to achieve for quite some time. 

Just now, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I can’t answer as I couldn’ t go as am on holiday but from everything I have read Wigan seemed better organised and had a clear pattern of play that was evident to see. I have to be honest and say I haven’t really understood what we are trying to achieve for quite some time. 

So to clarify, you are making claims about organisation in a game you didn't watch. Classic. 

It’s not the formation, it’s how it’s being applied. It seems the lessons from Saturday haven’t been learned as from what the highlights show we commit far to many players forward and create massive gaps leaving us vulnerable to the counter attack. Long balls punted forward and isolated wing backs trying to whip balls in.

I like Warne but he style of football gives me concerns.

Edited by 8Leeds

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Here is a question: how much impact do you think defensive mistakes have had on us so far this season? Personally, I believe we conceded at key moments against Wigan from catastrophic mistakes which massively impacted on our performances. Tonight wasn't good, again another defensive error. The senior professionals making these mistakes should be the one receiving the flack. 

To a degree you can’t legislate for individual errors but its a bit simplistic.

Two goals from crosses, one of which was an obvious error too. Then two from other errors. But we were all over the show with zero organisation for both, especially tonight’s. Then you have the 1 on 1 Wigan missed a minute after their first (one through ball and straight in), a 2 on 1 missed tonight where we lose the ball on the edge of their area, the player takes one player on and somehow they’re in.

We look horribly disorganised. It’s a new back 3 but I don’t really buy that as an excuse. Add that to weird stuff like Bird playing as an advanced midfielder (won’t go as far as saying it’s as a 10 but certainly doesn’t suit him and not sure why it’s happening) and I don’t see how anyone can say it isn’t concerning? Don’t really care about the cup but equally don’t agree with outright writing off anything that happens in it, especially when it means it’s 2/2 for home losses.

1 minute ago, REDCAR said:

Love your optimism but question for you is, from what we have seen this do we look better it worse than last season?

If the later then this team wouldn’t have made the play offs anytime during last season.

Wasn't optimism particularly was more of an observation around depending on your personal viewpoint of Warne one chooses to either highlight the losing streak last season (and ignore the winning one) or vice versa. 

Just meant to add some balance to a debate which appears to be sadly lacking in it.