v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

1 minute ago, hintonsboots said:

What do the collective think of Max Birds contribution today. He’s a young player and academy graduate I really want to do well. Is he good enough?

He worked hard but not much came off for him. He found himself in some positions he was only just getting used to in pre-season, but with far less time to react, including with his back to goal much more than we've seen him before.

It's early days and he's a good player - I'm not too concerned about anything from Max today, but it certainly wasn't one of his better games.

10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

If some fans are giving him up on our manager after 1 game, they are s*** fans. Who cares what they think? 

It’s not one game is it, people also looking at end of last season.

were given a host of reasons as to why we failed to make the play offs. Not sure how many of them have been addressed.

Really hoping it comes good, obviously need a striker in asap. A decent unbeaten run would help no end in getting some patience. 

Thought we looked ok in parts. Notably after our goal and confidence is up. However, we deflated quickly. 

I thought our midfield was generally poor. Smith and Hourihane constantly looking for a sideways pass. Hourihane in particular very slow. We just looked obvious in our play. A big contrast to Wigan’s neat triangles. 

We lacked guile. Just waiting for crosses to go in. Only exciting player was Kane Wilson. Hopefully, things approve when they’ve all played together a little more but the midfield is of concern 

Just now, Rich3478 said:

It’s not one game is it, people also looking at end of last season.

were given a host of reasons as to why we failed to make the play offs. Not sure how many of them have been addressed.

Really hoping it comes good, obviously need a striker in asap. A decent unbeaten run would help no end in getting some patience. 

The past is gone. Judge him on this season. It's been 1 game. If our fans can't be patient for one defeat, maybe they should go watch another sport. 

Fortunately, I'm old enough to know that the early season games are usually not an indication of how the season  develops. Today doesn't mean very much at all.

The worry is though, there were some really troubling signs there.

The back three are painfully slow. It won't have gone unnoticed that Wigan just kicked the ball past them and got through with ease.

The midfield three were too static and offered very little. They were neither aggressive nor creative. I can't see those three being the right blend. 

The bright side was both of our right sided wing backs created a lot of chances. Unfortunately, we didn’t have strikers in the right place to convert them, or midfielders bursting into the box to pick up the 2nd balls

Wildsmith was also quite poor. Back to the nervy keeper he looked when he first signed, rather than the confident, consistent player who finished the season.

I'm glad it was the first game of the season. They are often anomalous to what follows, so not too worried. If that was the 10th game, I'd be seriously concerned though.

Not completely comfortable with the captain. It makes him difficult to drop, and I'm not convinced that he's better than Smith and Bird, and we can't play all three together 

On that showing, we need 2 strikers and creative midfielder if we're going to compete.

2 minutes ago, jameso said:

He worked hard but not much came off for him. He found himself in some positions he was only just getting used to in pre-season, but with far less time to react, including with his back to goal much more than we've seen him before.

It's early days and he's a good player - I'm not too concerned about anything from Max today, but it certainly wasn't one of his better games.

He’s much better deeper when he can get us on the ball not with his back to goal and I thought Smith was poor today but he’s not on his own.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yeah the Cashin booking didn’t look like much to me, aerial challenge nowhere near the goal, bumped the bloke but was hardly anything in it 

The ref had had a pretty good game until that point.

(Lino was rubbish we should have had a penalty. Why didn’t he see all that blatant shirt pulling ?.  He couldn’t see a touch line either ) 

But the Cashin one was so so wrong. Two blokes jumping for a ball shoulder to shoulder. One of the two was chunk of Irish granite so the other player fell over and said piece of granite didn’t. Foul play ? 🤣 

It's one game, and it's important not to overreact, but that was fu**ing abject at every level. We were one-dimensional, slow, unfit, and worst of all we didn't even execute our own plan well. We gifted Wigan two goals, but every time they broke through the midfield screen, they looked dangerous and could have scored 3 or more today. Nelson looked uncomfortable on the ball, he isn't a WCB in a million years, constantly passing back, making us lose the initiative, and Bradley doesn't have the legs to cover the ground needed in the role he played today. That's what led to the mistake for the first goal, a negative pass which put pressure on Bradley which then led to a Wyke rounding Wildsmith. 

Wigan killed us in the transitions, and there were gaping holes in the middle of the park, which any half-decent team would thread through. Seen towards the end of the first half but also early in the first half, which was an end-to-end show. But it wasn't just in defence and transition where we were poor. The attack was absolutely woeful. The lack of positive forward passing combined with the slow tempo and static movement made the crosses so so easy to defend against. I can't remember more than 2 times we actually tested their goalkeeper seriously. 

It isn't just the performance that lacked passion, creativity, or decisiveness, but the tactics that led us to our downfall, failing to create any clear-cut chances and, at times, leaving us wide open. The lack of urgency towards the end and the dearth of options from the bench make it clear we're in no state to be challenging for promotion if this is the tenor of things to come. Warne said he wouldn't just copy what he did at Rotherham, but this style of football reeks of low percentage chuck it in the box and see what happens nonsense i.e., precisely what he did at Rotherham. 

I don't think I've seen an opening day performance this bad since Paul Jewell's 08-09 opener against Doncaster. Warne needs to improve and fast if he wants to stay in this job. 

18 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Wildsmith was also quite poor. Back to the nervy keeper he looked when he first signed, rather than the confident, consistent player who finished the season.

I thought all your other points were fair ones but would suggest that Wildsmith didn't finish the season as strong as he'd been midway through it, and he's looked a little wobbly in pre-season and then again today. I don't know if the signing of Vickers has had the opposite effect to the one (presumably) intended, but I don't think he'll be allowed more than another wobble before we see the new guy - in the league, I mean.

Edited by Guest
typo

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

It's one game, and it's important not to overreact, but that was fu**ing abject at every level. We were one-dimensional, slow, unfit, and worst of all we didn't even execute our own plan well. We gifted Wigan two goals, but every time they broke through the midfield screen, they looked dangerous and could have scored 3 or more today. Nelson looked uncomfortable on the ball, he isn't a WCB in a million years, constantly passing back, making us lose the initiative, and Bradley doesn't have the legs to cover the ground needed in the role he played today. That's what led to the mistake for the first goal, a negative pass which put pressure on Bradley which then led to a Wyke rounding Wildsmith. 

Wigan killed us in the transitions, and there were gaping holes in the middle of the park, which any half-decent team would thread through. Seen towards the end of the first half but also early in the first half, which was an end-to-end show. But it wasn't just in defence and transition where we were poor. The attack was absolutely woeful. The lack of positive forward passing combined with the slow tempo and static movement made the crosses so so easy to defend against. I can't remember more than 2 times we actually tested their goalkeeper seriously. 

It isn't just the performance that lacked passion, creativity, or decisiveness, but the tactics that led us to our downfall, failing to create any clear-cut chances and, at times, leaving us wide open. The lack of urgency towards the end and the dearth of options from the bench make it clear we're in no state to be challenging for promotion if this is the tenor of things to come. Warne said he wouldn't just copy what he did at Rotherham, but this style of football reeks of low percentage chuck it in the box and see what happens nonsense i.e., precisely what he did at Rotherham. 

I don't think I've seen an opening day performance this bad since Paul Jewell's 08-09 opener against Doncaster. Warne needs to improve and fast if he wants to stay in this job. 

Spot on

it is very early days, but lets not beat around the bush there are red flags there as there has been all summer.

we have not strengthened our squad & today was the worst possible start we could have had.

time will tell  but we cant just put our hands over our eyes and hope for the best, actually that sounds like a good idea i may well do that

What a shambles. Wildsmith Cashin Bradley smith Bird and Collins were all embarrassing. If someone offers us 2 packets of crisps and a mars bar for Bird we should take it. He is going back. Poor control and passing and just goes missing in the game. Lightweight and just a waste of space. 

Edited by Somersall Ram
Missed bits

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

yes the fitness and speed at which we play is a real real concern.

i have said it for ages to get out this league you need athletic young players not old slow players it just doesnt work. its going to be a slog of a season thats for sure hopefully it will get better but it is a real concern for me we looked so under prepared compared to wigan

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

it's important not to overreact,

but that was fu**ing abject at every level.

I'm trying to reconcile the first two statements (?!)

0-2 at home to Reading in 2020?