Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

28 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

A sad end to a local man that did his best, Those that know are aware what a family member did when Lionel lost his money, DC will better take note, If/when DCFC get promoted he'd better sell as fans will expect something that DCs money can not buy...success.

There's no guarantee any amount of money buys success at below Prem level (and not even then *cough* Red Dogs *cough*).

So maybe Clowes will follow a different path, I see no reason for him to sell.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

There's no guarantee any amount of money buys success at below Prem level (and not even then *cough* Red Dogs *cough*).

So maybe Clowes will follow a different path, I see no reason for him to sell.

Agree Roy, This is not a dig at David Clowes, And I thank him for saving DCFC as he did last year, Lionel tried, DC will try, But eventually the fans will demand...look how some now are thinking why aren't DCFC buying Waghorn?, Funds are counted for even with the Bielik/Knight savings it shows there's not a lot of loot floating about, We'll be fine this season I'm sure.

Next season will be a decision DC will have to make whether to stick or twist, Francis Lee said "when the fans start to complain I'm off" when he bought Man City...and off he went, Leicester won the EPL a few years back, Now up schitt Creek without a paddle, Luton have costed their season in the EPL where the ground has taken a financial hit on their promotion.

I remember very well how Lionel lost his money, Fans have a huge part to play, Our fans are no different, Tomorrow is a different story.

Enjoy the game.

I wish fans would accept that Derby cannot "splurge" the cash anymore. It's only just over 12 months ago that we were on the verge of total oblivion - no ground; no players; no club - nothing whatsoever.

We've been to the edge of the abyss, looked in and we don't ever want to go there again.

I do not want to see an owner "splash" the cash and offer us dreams, then run out of money and see it all collapse.

If we have to buy players who are, by other club or division standards, "cheap" or loans, so be it, until the club is back on firm footing, without any embargos or EFL restricted business plans, when, perhaps one day, we can go back to trading players in the normal way.

David Clowes has a plan which he set out in his interview a few months ago, in which he hoped that Derby would be back, and competing, in the Championship within 5 years and if Derby have to remain in Division 1 for another season, I will accept that because I love my football watching my home town club Derby County FC.

Let's not get over excited about who may or may not be transferred, in or out of the club, in the next few weeks, because there is still 27 days to go before the transfer window closes on the 1st September.

Let the games begin - COYR's

2 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

A slight difference there...it's called expectation

Then I hope the fans can lower their expectations to a level where Derby can compete, not only on the field, but also as a trading company with a firm business structure and plan to sustain the club for many years to come.

A club of Derby's size cannot afford to carry on being a 'boom & bust' club, irrespective of the size of its fan base or ground and training facilities.

The money in the Premier league is just killing the lower EFL clubs, where Luton Town, will receive a minimum of £105 million for one season in the Premier, followed by another £60 million over the next 3 seasons, if and when they get relegated.

We’re in league 1, this is the mend and make do league, we need to learn how to buy cheap sell high. 

The reality is players we would’ve picked up relatively easily in the championship are now off the menu. We’ll have first pick of those at our level and decent loan opportunities. 

yes it would’ve been incredible to start with a full set of good strikers but it’s not that realistic, if we get a youngster in and any one of smith / Rhodes / waggy we would’ve done very well. 

1 minute ago, dantheram said:

We’re in league 1, this is the mend and make do league, we need to learn how to buy cheap sell high. 

The reality is players we would’ve picked up relatively easily in the championship are now off the menu. We’ll have first pick of those at our level and decent loan opportunities. 

yes it would’ve been incredible to start with a full set of good strikers but it’s not that realistic, if we get a youngster in and any one of smith / Rhodes / waggy we would’ve done very well. 

You can't buy cheap and sell high if you only deal in 31 year old free transfers

34 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

A slight difference there...it's called expectation Ryan Blaney Thumbs Up GIF by NASCAR

'Slight' being the operative word. If we see a plan, and we see progress, we should get behind it and enjoy the ride.

If David Clowes and his executive staff say we can't afford a player, that's that. Anyone who needs that explaining after the last few years needs to be placed in a long term residential institution, and sat by the sunny window.

5 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

'Slight' being the operative word. If we see a plan, and we see progress, we should get behind it and enjoy the ride.

If David Clowes and his executive staff say we can't afford a player, that's that. Anyone who needs that explaining after the last few years needs to be placed in a long term residential institution, and sat by the sunny window.

With her for company!😅

IMG_0386.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

You can't buy cheap and sell high if you only deal in 31 year old free transfers

Exactly this, we are using our normal tactic of signing premier league castoffs assuming they will be good enough for the championship..only now we are league 1 we are signing championship castoffs.

Today will show how much work is needed to be done with the team.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Exactly this, we are using our normal tactic of signing premier league castoffs assuming they will be good enough for the championship..only now we are league 1 we are signing championship castoffs.

Today will show how much work is needed to be done with the team.

Because of the negative tone of the first paragraph, I'm reading the second paragraph with that tone in my head.

Hopefully that 2nd paragraph will be true...just not in the way I think you mean.

And if so...that you will be as fulsome in your praise as I tend to feel you will be whole-heartedly negative if it goes the way it feels you almost wish it will.

Unfortunately, even if we win some fans will just say Wigan are in tatters, wait til we play away etc.

Let's try and enjoy the victories at least shall we.

I'm not sure I've seen as much interest in a bloke who was average for 3 years whilst here. Is 3 years older and has scored 3 goals in two years.  Whatever we've offered him is probably too much.  That Sheff Wednesday game is make glasses a bit rose tinted I fear. If he signs OK, if not there are others as capable and probably better.