Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm planning on becoming the go-to guy for glamping opportunities on my professional Twitter account. So various reasons, including adding legitimacy, allowing for longer posts (which I believe are being favoured by the algorithm over threads), ranking highly in replies and search, etc.

I don't like it but $8 a month is nowhere near enough to feel guilty about.

Wouldn't say it gives you anymore legitimacy when everyone can pay for it.

The rest though, understandable.

Facebook page I would have though would be a better fit, that combined with Instagram. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

Facebook page I would have though would be a better fit, that combined with Instagram. 

Twitter miles better than those two for what I'm trying to do. It will be my face on the account, not my company. Already got plenty of channels that are doing okay at bringing leads in for the company.

I'm basically trying to do what these guys are doing but for glamping:

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

12 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Twitter miles better than those two for what I'm trying to do. It will be my face on the account, not my company. Already got plenty of channels that are doing okay at bringing leads in for the company.

I'm basically trying to do what these guys are doing but for glamping:

Do you think your face on the account will be good for business?Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think the bloke is a ringpiece, but I'm going to be subscribing to Twitter Blue for work reasons pretty soon. I'm not going to feel bad about paying $8 a month, as it's hardly going to move the needle. Plus he's not exactly the devil reincarnated.

I can see why people subscribe, and they probably can't be arsed with the grief they get for doing it tbf.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually quite like Elon. I like space x, I like Tesla, I like PayPal. I don’t understand at all what he’s doing with twitter. Like all billionaires he can be a bit of a t***** detached from reality. 

I just find it amusing that the backlash against blue ticks has been such that some refuse to pay for it on moral grounds. And now he’s had to give an option to hide it. What used to be a sigh of legitimacy, and badge of honour, is now almost seen as a badge of shame. 

23 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Don’t get me wrong, I actually quite like Elon. I like space x, I like Tesla, I like PayPal. I don’t understand at all what he’s doing with twitter. Like all billionaires he can be a bit of a t***** detached from reality. 

I just find it amusing that the backlash against blue ticks has been such that some refuse to pay for it on moral grounds. And now he’s had to give an option to hide it. What used to be a sigh of legitimacy, and badge of honour, is now almost seen as a badge of shame. 

Indeed. It amused me to see that #bluetickw**ker was trending the other day 😂

6 hours ago, cstand said:

Insight into Musk changing Twitter to X, it was always a long term plan explained by a work colleague.

I personally don’t think a super app will work.

https://www.axios.com/2023/07/25/elon-musk-everything-app-twitter-x#

I kind of figured that he had a plan to do that all along. The fly in his ointment was he never really wanted to buy Twitter, he just wanted to buy a platform with a ready-made userbase, so he didn't have to waste time trying to build the user numbers. There is no logical place for "old Twitter" in a super app. Starts to make sense now

On 31/07/2023 at 23:59, Comrade 86 said:

Well, no, Twitter is not still Twitter. It's now X, 'the cornerstone of the soon to be 'everyday / everything' app suite' that none of us knew we needed. You've clearly not been paying attention. Tutt-tutt.

Also, a rather more reasoned and credible footy analogy might be when Wimbledon re-branded and moved to Milton Keynes, in which case the correct answer to your hypothetical query, would be, yes, they lost a shitload of fans, most of them in fact, in much the same way as Derby would if they moved the club eastside and rebranded us the Romford Rams.

But interestingly, X.com redirects to Twitter.com rather than vice versa, which you would typically expect. Especially if you want to establish a new brand.

So a more accurate analogy (for now) would be Wimbledon moving to Milton Keynes but all their fans still have to watch games from Plough Lane on a big screen.

I'm not sure if this is a technical issue and will change, or if Elon is half-assing it.

On 03/08/2023 at 21:54, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm planning on becoming the go-to guy for glamping opportunities on my professional Twitter account. So various reasons, including adding legitimacy, allowing for longer posts (which I believe are being favoured by the algorithm over threads), ranking highly in replies and search, etc.

I don't like it but $8 a month is nowhere near enough to feel guilty about.

It makes sense if you use it for business.

I got at least $20k of clients from it between 2008 and 2010, and I really liked it.

Now I've not had a client from there in a decade, but then again, I use it mainly to follow SEO people and marketers as well as comedians.

But I have almost 4,600 followers and if I post anything, the reach is meaningless. 

I suspect the blue tick would make a huge difference and I would totally buy it of I wanted to use it for clients again.

twitter.jpg

Edited by Bob The Badger

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah but it's never worked very well. I've blocked loads of the idiot Derby fans accounts but they keep appearing because of searching on the hashtag #dcfc.

I think you need Mute for that.

Block stops them seeing your tweets, so they are unable to comment on your tweets and unable to @ tag you.

5 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I think you need Mute for that.

Block stops them seeing your tweets, so they are unable to comment on your tweets and unable to @ tag you.

Tbh I can't be bothered now as there's so many other posters using #dcfc that I'd be messing around with it all day! 😄

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah but it's never worked very well. I've blocked loads of the idiot Derby fans accounts but they keep appearing because of searching on the hashtag #dcfc.

You can't have blocked them then, block sends them to cyber space.

The Block thing is clearly because people are blocking accounts doing promoted tweets

So it's kind of understandable that he wants to remove a feature that limits the reach of what people are paying for, but still - as usual -  his way of going about it is idiotic

All he had to say was, we're looking in to how to change the Block  feature so you can't block promoted tweets