Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

• 2 weeks later...

This is what the free speech brigade ultimately fear isn't it? The Saudi government have literally sentenced someone to death for their posts on Twitter

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/08/29/saudi-arabia-man-sentenced-death-tweets

Luckily he's got free-speech absolutist Elon Musk on his side - leaping to the defence and condemning the Saudis. Or has he?Β 

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/saudis-kingdom-holding-company-maintain-twitter-stake-2022-10-28/

Radio silence so far

35 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

This is what the free speech brigade ultimately fear isn't it? The Saudi government have literally sentenced someone to death for their posts on Twitter

Luckily he's got free-speech absolutist Elon Musk on his side - leaping to the defence and condemning the Saudis. Or has he?Β 

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/saudis-kingdom-holding-company-maintain-twitter-stake-2022-10-28/

Radio silence so far

Technically, despite being a free-speech absolutist in the infamous BBC interview Musk said something along the lines of Twitter will abide by the law of the land and if people want to change that they should vote in different Govts - obviously a lot easier in some parts of the world than others πŸ˜•

https://www.firstpost.com/opinion/in-calling-for-twitter-to-abide-by-law-of-land-elon-musk-has-taken-correct-call-he-deserves-praise-12458662.html

I also note from the article that he was also sentenced to death for his tweets, retweets and youtube activity.Β  I guess one of those doesn't fit the borderline obsessive anti-Musk narrative that some people have on here.

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Radio silence so far

Just to make sure I have got this right you are criticising Musk and not the Saudis ?

Β 

Β 

Edited by cstand

5 hours ago, maxjam said:

I also note from the article that he was also sentenced to death for his tweets, retweets and youtube activity.Β  I guess one of those doesn't fit the borderline obsessive anti-Musk narrative that some people have on here.

Are you really trying to find a way to make me saying "being sentenced to death for social media activity is unacceptable" an "anti-musk" viewpoint? Cos that would be weird

For avoidance of doubt I believe that the the Saudi regime is abhorrent and murderous. I'm just wondering if Musk feels the same way but can't say it because they own him

Β 

Β 

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Are you really trying to find a way to make me saying "being sentenced to death for social media activity is unacceptable" an "anti-musk" viewpoint? Cos that would be weird

For avoidance of doubt I believe that the the Saudi regime is abhorrent and murderous. I'm just wondering if Musk feels the same way but can't say it because they own him

No I'm just commenting on some of the at times petty things that get thrown at Musk on here.Β 

Why single out Musk for a social media death sentence in Saudi Arabia, when Youtube was mentioned as well?Β  Musk as already said that Twitter has to abide by the law of the land, just as the BBC and every other social media company have to.Β  I personally think thats a fair statement and sets the rules equally for everyone, certainly far more so than under the previous ownership or the other social media giants that tend to operate under more nebulous rules that objectively favour one side of the argument.

I haven't seen Youtube taking issue with the death sentence.Β  Maybe its because the Saudi's invest in their parent company Alphabet Inc as well.Β  Oh, and for good measure the Saudi's also invest in Meta/Facebook so I guess they are all as compromised as one another.Β  But yeah Musk bad man *shakes fist at sky*

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

No I'm just commenting on some of the at times petty things that get thrown at Musk on here.Β 

Why single out Musk for a social media death sentence in Saudi Arabia, when Youtube was mentioned as well?Β  Musk as already said that Twitter has to abide by the law of the land, just as the BBC and every other social media company have to.Β  I personally think thats a fair statement and sets the rules equally for everyone, certainly far more so than under the previous ownership or the other social media giants that tend to operate under more nebulous rules that objectively favour one side of the argument.

I haven't seen Youtube taking issue with the death sentence.Β  Maybe its because the Saudi's invest in their parent company Alphabet Inc as well.Β  Oh, and for good measure the Saudi's also invest in Meta/Facebook so I guess they are all as compromised as one another.Β  But yeah Musk bad man *shakes fist at sky*

Musk is a bad man and this thread is about him and Twitter.

Feel free to open one about Facebook or YouTube.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Musk is a bad man and this thread is about him and Twitter.

Feel free to open one about Facebook or YouTube.

My post was about Musk, I was arguing that Twitter/X isn't doing anything different to anyone else in the social media space re. Saudi Arabia.Β 

The only thing it is trying to do differently is allow the law of the land, rather than the will of the will of the owners to dictate its online policy - talk crap from a left or right perspective, as long as its lawful, it is generally allowed.Β  Other social media platforms tend to more strictly censor one side of the argument.

12 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Who owns Youtube? I have no idea, other than being part of the mega Alphabet/Google corp - which for the record, I fully expect to be a corrupt organisation who couldn't care less about human rights. Musk on the other hand has publicly offered to pay the legal fees of anyone who gets into trouble for exercising free speech on Twitter, so it's perfectly OK to call him out on why he has remained silent here

I think what you're saying is that he's OK to turn a blind eye because he has said he'd respect the laws of the land. Even if that law is "the death penalty for anyone mildly critical of the regime". Wow

I mean - it kind of sounds like you're OK with the death penalty for talking naughty on social media. Which is weird because you were normally one of the first to pile in to slag off Muslims for their beliefs, before they banned religion

Elon fanbois being tied up in knots over this.Β 

10 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I think what you're saying is that he's OK to turn a blind eye because he has said he'd respect the laws of the land. Even if that law is "the death penalty for anyone mildly critical of the regime". Wow

I mean - it kind of sounds like you're OK with the death penalty for talking naughty on social media. Which is weird because you were normally one of the first to pile in to slag off Muslims for their beliefs, before they banned religion

Of course you would assume thatΒ πŸ‘

FWIW and just in case it needs spelling out, I am obviously not okay with the death penalty for social media posts.Β  I'm arguing is that its a bit 'Musk bad man' to single out him when literally every major corporation bends over backwards when it comes to earning the almighty dollar in that part of the world.Β 

38 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Who owns Youtube? I have no idea, other than being part of the mega Alphabet/Google corp - which for the record, I fully expect to be a corrupt organisation who couldn't care less about human rights. Musk on the other hand has publicly offered to pay the legal fees of anyone who gets into trouble for exercising free speech on Twitter, so it's perfectly OK to call him out on why he has remained silent here

Elon fanbois being tied up in knots over this.Β 

Β 

27 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Of course you would assume thatΒ πŸ‘

FWIW and just in case it needs spelling out, I am obviously not okay with the death penalty for social media posts.Β  I'm arguing is that its a bit 'Musk bad man' to single out him when literally every major corporation bends over backwards when it comes to earning the almighty dollar in that part of the world.Β 

I'm sure a big part of the reason why Musk is being criticised here is because the people in this thread simply don't like him. But the bolded part of Stive's post is also very relevant.

Although anyone who took that offer seriously is a fool - it was clearly one of the many promises he makes and decisions he takes on a whim, then appears to forget about the next day.

10 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Radio silence so far

This thread is about rebranding of Twitter to X, if you just want to criticise Musk and free speech feel free to start another thread that way we can keep threads on topic and interesting instead.Β 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

My post was about Musk, I was arguing that Twitter/X isn't doing anything different to anyone else in the social media space re. Saudi Arabia.Β 

The only thing it is trying to do differently is allow the law of the land, rather than the will of the will of the owners to dictate its online policy - talk crap from a left or right perspective, as long as its lawful, it is generally allowed.Β  Other social media platforms tend to more strictly censor one side of the argument.

I've seen the medium described as 'Xitter' a few times.

I assume that the X is pronounced the Chinese way - 'Sh'.

9 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Although anyone who took that offer seriously is a fool - it was clearly one of the many promises he makes and decisions he takes on a whim, then appears to forget about the next day.

Can't think why

https://nypost.com/2023/08/22/elon-musks-escalated-ketamine-use-could-be-causing-erratic-behavior-new-yorker-expose-suggests/