Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

Seen a lot on twitter today about Musk threatening to sue the Anti Defamation League for, well, defamation. Apparently he has upset the Jewish organisation by accusing the ADL of pressuring advertisers to pull out which they have taken to be anti-semitic.

Musk is Jewish himself so be interesting how this pans out unless its all theatre.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Interesting to Musk coming out to defend Russell Brand before it's even been revealed exactly what he's accused ofΒ πŸ€”

This is going to be tricky. Musk defenders are going to have to become Brand fans. I guess Brand was just having a go on some young things right?

On 16/09/2023 at 22:56, ariotofmyown said:

This is going to be tricky. Musk defenders are going to have to become Brand fans. I guess Brand was just having a go on some young things right?

Are you not doing pretty much the same as musk here ? There’s a topic already running on brand where some are trying to speak on the issue rather than polarised mud slinging from one side or the other

Elon Musk has suggested that all users of X, formerly called Twitter, may have to pay for access to the platform.

In a conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the billionaire said a payment system was the only way to counter bots.

"We're moving to having a small monthly payment for use of the system," the Tesla and SpaceX boss said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-66850821.amp

This would be the final nail in the Twitter coffin.

His public war against the bots will push away the average user that will refuse to pay.

Although the real war I believe is taking control out of the advertisers hands who are threatening his attempts of running a free speech platform.

Threads is now well positioned to take over and dominate that corner of social media. With fully working search, they are only a trending topics page away from offering that original Twitter feel platform.

On 20/09/2023 at 02:43, David said:

Elon Musk has suggested that all users of X, formerly called Twitter, may have to pay for access to the platform.

In a conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the billionaire said a payment system was the only way to counter bots.

"We're moving to having a small monthly payment for use of the system," the Tesla and SpaceX boss said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-66850821.amp

This would be the final nail in the Twitter coffin.

His public war against the bots will push away the average user that will refuse to pay.

Although the real war I believe is taking control out of the advertisers hands who are threatening his attempts of running a free speech platform.

Threads is now well positioned to take over and dominate that corner of social media. With fully working search, they are only a trending topics page away from offering that original Twitter feel platform.

I thought Threads was dead and buried, but if he genuinely makes people pay for Twitter then they've got a golden opportunity.

Of course he's talking to Netanyahu btw.

32 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I thought Threads was dead and buried, but if he genuinely makes people pay for Twitter then they've got a golden opportunity.

Of course he's talking to Netanyahu btw.

Threads is still chugging along, nowhere near the same amount of people though.

They launched way too early without basic features needed to take over.

The amount of people that signed up on launch though shows there is appetite to abandon X.

28 minutes ago, David said:

Threads is still chugging along, nowhere near the same amount of people though.

They launched way too early without basic features needed to take over.

The amount of people that signed up on launch though shows there is appetite to abandon X.

I think the vast majority of the early signups were a combination of people being anti-Musk and general curiosity. I suspect most, like me, signed up and haven't even opened the feed since.

But if Musk insists on a paywall then he's handing them an audience on a plate. The good thing is, Threads will have had time to work through the inevitable teething issues by then.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like another new app update that means the preview of any news story web link no longer appears, so you have no idea what the link is about.

Presumably this is just some duff attempt at stopping people clicking away from the site on to other stuff, but it's yet one more change that makes the platform circle the drain a little faster

πŸ‘

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Looks like another new app update that means the preview of any news story web link no longer appears, so you have no idea what the link is about.

Presumably this is just some duff attempt at stopping people clicking away from the site on to other stuff, but it's yet one more change that makes the platform circle the drain a little faster

πŸ‘

It's all got a bit silly, hasn't it? Analysts are saying he'd now be lucky to recoup 30% of what he paid and users and advertisers alike continue to desert the platform in droves. The fat lady isn't singing just yet, but Threads have her in a dressing room warming up.

To be honest, I'm at a loss to grasp what it was he was hoping to achieve, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't this. You'll not be surprised to hear that I won't be paying for X or any of the other apps Musk would like us all to use and I'd not be surprised to see that whole plan disappear down a K-hole pretty swiftly.

On 06/10/2023 at 11:48, Stive Pesley said:

I was spot on it seems

image.png.020751a2bfbc18722e8bd807f93af0a2.png

Β 

Good article here about the ruination of social media in general

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/infinite-scroll/why-the-internet-isnt-fun-anymore

Β