Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

14 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

The story of x.com is quite interesting. He's paid a lot of money for the specific domain name twice, and seems obsessed with it yet incapable of realising that it really doesn't work as a domain name at all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.com_(bank)

I think he'll give it up soon so I've registered www.x-formerlyknownastwitter.comΒ for which I'm going to charge him Β£20 million when he realises he's fooked it up.

Think About It GIF by Identity

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Except, that isn't at all what the lawsuit is about and you well know it.Β 

Fair play you got me guv - there is also the bit where he posted his agreement with an anti-semitic conspiracy theory, and the bit where companies ads are being served up next to racist posts.Β 

But actually it doesn't matter at all what it's "about" - the important bit is that he's a free speech absolutist who is launching a lawsuit against people saying and doing things he doesn't like.Β Β 

14 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Fair play you got me guv - there is also the bit where he posted his agreement with an anti-semitic conspiracy theory, and the bit where companies ads are being served up next to racist posts.Β 

But actually it doesn't matter at all what it's "about" - the important bit is that he's a free speech absolutist who is launching a lawsuit against people saying and doing things he doesn't like.Β Β 

Clearly don't agree with his anti-semitic post, but this is completely an unrelated thing. You can be a free speech absolutist and believe that a non for profit organisation like media matters should be held to account if you can demonstrably prove that what they are telling advertisers is false. It just isn't the "own" you think it is. He isn't calling for average citizens to be arrested for saying things he disagrees with.Β 

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You can be a free speech absolutist and believe that a non for profit organisation like media matters should be held to account if you can demonstrably prove that what they are telling advertisers is false.

Good luck to him. How can he prove it's "demonstrably false" when he admits in his statement that it's entirely possible for adverts to be served alongside objectionable hate posts - because they proved it!

His argument seems to be that they somehow manipulated the platform into proving the point. Good luck suing someone for that

How about he just doesn't allow racist, white supremacist, nazi posts in the first place? Or failing that (because we all know he deliberately bought twitter in order to increase that sort of thing) - how about he offers his advertisers a tier where they can select the "please don't serve my ads next to racist content" box

So much of it is on him - and yet again his petulant entitled billionaire response it give it all billy big-balls stuff about "thermonuclear" lawsuits. Whatever one of them isΒ πŸ˜‚

Β 

Β 

Β 

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Pretty sure that's libel

Not when you look at all the accounts which had been banned for that sort of stuff that he has deliberately let back onto the platform.

And as you admit - he's not averse to quote tweeting anti-semitic stuff himself. Which even though you "clearly don't agree" with him doing that - you're happy to fight his corner? Carry on - it's a good lookΒ πŸ™„

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Not when you look at all the accounts which had been banned for that sort of stuff that he has deliberately let back onto the platform.

And as you admit - he's not averse to quote tweeting anti-semitic stuff himself. Which even though you "clearly don't agree" with him doing that - you're happy to fight his corner? Carry on - it's a good lookΒ πŸ™„

By fighting his corner, you mean objecting to your bad take on the law suit and then your libellous follow up? Not so much standing up for him, as arguing against your points which I think are complete falsehoods. There are valid reasons to dislike Elon, in my opinion he posts questionable things and I'm not convinced by how he treats his employees, but why invent fake reasons?Β 

Pretty snide second paragraph mind, not really surprised by it coming from you though.Β 

Edited by Andicis

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Pretty sure that's libel

Is it? I mean, he openly said he wanted twitter to be a free speech zone, and his early actions were to reinstate far right accounts.Β 

You can't be a free speech absolutist without accepting the far right will post nazi rhetoric. He bought it to stop the limitations on the far right. I can't see how that's in any way libellous. I

33 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Is it? I mean, he openly said he wanted twitter to be a free speech zone, and his early actions were to reinstate far right accounts.Β 

You can't be a free speech absolutist without accepting the far right will post nazi rhetoric. He bought it to stop the limitations on the far right. I can't see how that's in any way libellous. I

The poster said he bought the site with the intention of increasing the number of nazi and white supremacist postings, given that kind of post is still against Twitter's rules, I would say that clearly is not his intention.Β 

Bit heavy in here, innit!  😲

Anyway... What I'd like to know... not being into this sort of thing... is when they used to tweet, re-tweet etc, what do they do now?Β  Do they re-x?Β  Re Cross?

Surely tweeting is a thing of the past now, so what's the term nowadays?Β Β πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Β 

Β 

I know it doesn't actually matter, but it actually does!Β Β πŸ‘€

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

Bit heavy in here, innit!  😲

Anyway... What I'd like to know... not being into this sort of thing... is when they used to tweet, re-tweet etc, what do they do now?Β  Do they re-x?Β  Re Cross?

Surely tweeting is a thing of the past now, so what's the term nowadays?Β Β πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Β 

Β 

I know it doesn't actually matter, but it actually does!Β Β πŸ‘€

"Post" and "re-post" I believe.

The whole Twitter thing is frustrating. I think you need the odd mad b****** like him to do crazy stuff like SpaceX and Tesla. But he's spending so much time making the best social media platform much worse (in my opinion) and increasingly moving towards the right that I can't really look past it. He obviously has his supporters on Twitter/X, but I do think it's tanked his reputation significantly.Β Β 

I wonder whether, deep down, he regrets ever getting involved with it.

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

Clearly don't agree with his anti-semitic post, but this is completely an unrelated thing. You can be a free speech absolutist and believe that a non for profit organisation like media matters should be held to account if you can demonstrably prove that what they are telling advertisers is false. It just isn't the "own" you think it is. He isn't calling for average citizens to be arrested for saying things he disagrees with.Β 

Surely all Musk has to do is show the code and he'll win the case:

IF post_subject contains ("anti-semitism" OR "racism" OR "islamaphobia" OR "far-right conspiracy" OR "incitement to violence") OR poster = "elon_musk" THEN REPLACE advert WHERE company_category in ("woke", "gay loving", "not anti trans", "employs non-whites in senior positions") WITH advert WHERE compay_owner in ("murdoch", "tufton street", "trump", "russian")

8 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

You have never looked at all the previously banned accounts on Twitter/X πŸ˜‚ Anyone that has is wasting their life away for nothing.Β 

The question people should ask themselves is whether they believe they should decide for themselves what they choose to see or hear, or whether they think it's better for someone else to decide that for them? Do you want to make your own decisions, or have a "progressive" in California know what's best for you?Β 

Musk bought Twitter because he felt it was important people were able to decide for themselves. What had happened to it, was that it had, in part, become an arm of the Democrat regime, run by the American far left. Here he is talking recently with (a very odd looking) Joe Rogan about it:

On Twitter everyone can curate their own feeds, so you don't have to see people you don't want to, but your feeds are no longer censored and controlled by others like they used to be.

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

On Twitter everyone can curate their own feeds, so you don't have to see people you don't want to, but your feeds are no longer censored and controlled by others like they used to be.

That's absolute garbage. Musk has explained at great length how people paying for blue ticks now have their content boosted by his algorithm, and those that don't pay for a blue tick have their content suppressed. If that's not "having your feed controlled by others" then I don't know what it is.

The platform is now a complete waste of time. I've stopped looking at it, but the last time I did I was surprised to see that I had two dozen notifications. Every single one was spam of some description