Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

The first half hour or so is the worst. 

The rest is only really interesting if you only listened to the Western perspective where groups like Azov don't exist, nobody is trying to undermine Russia, NATO is a tree planting organisation, Putin is Hitler with months to live etc. 

But if you listened to anything he's said for years then it's just repeated. 

I definitely think it's a great interview but not for the reasons it's supposed to be. I think it's great in the same way it's great to hear Netenyahu's stance on Palestine. They unintentionally tell you what they really intend. Putin was loud and clear throughout of how he views Ukraine. At some point he even said something along the lines of "The West and nearly all of the world recognise Zelensky as the Ukrainian President".... Well, yeah. We do. 

He speaks a lot about democracy and freedom. About America has infiltrated this and that. Rigged elections. Liberations. Self defence. Historical claims. 

Where else have you heard that kind of talk recently? 

The only justification of war is in true self defence. It's not self defence if you have bases thousands of miles from home. It's not self defence if you're funding wars thousands of miles from home.

It's naive of course. Because everyone is looking after their interests abroad. Influencing elections. 

Rich powerful people justify war, do none of the dying and society is like 'yeah but we had no choice really" 

My Step Dad and my father in law were military. I'd like to ask them what they thought they were actually defending but it would probably cause offence. Especially as my Step Dad lost a friend in Ireland. It does seem easy to get people to justify killing. Human nature of course 

On 09/02/2024 at 14:29, David said:

Forget the cars and rockets, I have no interest in them at all, not sure how you can’t see the difference between old twitter and new twitter, how?

- The awful X branding, which he took from one night out of the replies to a tweet he made. The same X he tried with PayPal and failed.

- The twitter domain is hardcoded into the site where he can’t even change it, might have been a better chance had he not sacked off all the lead engineers.

- Verification system gone. It was flawed, yet the idea was sound and most cases worked. Now it’s a paid system.

- Paid subscribers replies are now boosted to the top, many of them spammy or Elon’s followers. Pay to be seen is the biggest change that’s destroyed the platform.

- Limited number of posts for non subscribers, DM limits.

- The For You feed is full of Elon and his followers like DogeDesigner that appear to do nothing more than spend their day fluffing his ego.

- Ads are all drop shipping sites now, repetitive.

- Have I mentioned that god damn awful X branding? 

I have no real problem with bringing his version of free speech to the platform, releasing the likes of Trump, KT Hopkins, Tommy Robinson and allowing Joey Barton to make a fool of himself. Go for it.

When I say he’s destroyed it, I’m referring to the points above, which I’m not sure you could argue against, yet you will because it’s Elon.

As I said previously, I had no prior interest in Elon, non whatsoever, so this isn’t some historical hatred that has expanded into X.

I’m a simple man, used Twitter for football and news away from politics. It was by far the greatest platform on the internet. Now it’s just destroyed in my personal opinion and I’m pissed because there is no real alternative out there so I find myself having to check several websites more often and don’t get the same interactions.

Some good points. But I'm afraid I don't really care about the branding - I still call it Twitter. 

Yes you're right verification is a mess. I'd say it always has been, and it's hard to instigate a fair "verification by degree of fame" system, but part of the reason for the current system is obviously financial. Same as ads.

I've no problem with "pay to be seen". If you want a free service, why are they obligated to make it as good as a paid service? As I said, I haven't seen a difference, and the fee is very, very small.

I remember original Twitter always trying to muck around with and curate my feed. Hated it - always avoided it then. Similarly I ignore "for you" now.

I'd say KT Hopkins is the right's version of Carol Vorderman. They should indeed both be allowed on the platform. No one is forced to follow them.

Current ads and subscription fees are partly down to online campaigns from various Bamfords trying to stop corporations advertising on Twitter. Because they hate Musk, despite all the amazing good he's done for the world. And those craven corporations cowtow and stop. Twitter needs money from somewhere to keep itself running. Blame the people who shut down its income stream, despite being a massively popular site. Surely by now we're all immune to ads to an extent? I don't really see them.

Finally, something that really heartens me about Twitter, despite our deeply polarized world, is that whenever I look at what's trending (generally, not for me) it's almost always football. Meaning it's clearly where most people still discuss the beautiful game. And that gives me some hope for the future.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'd say KT Hopkins is the right's version of Carol Vorderman. They should indeed both be allowed on the platform. No one is forced to follow them.

This is really desperate stuff. The right's version of Carol Vorderman could be, say Teresa May? Penny Mourdant? I'm struggling to think of many other reasonablish centre right women to be honest.

Maybe we could even say Liz Truss, who probably beleives in opposite things to Vorderman in terms of taxation and economics?

The left's version of KT Hopkins? I don't really think there is one. Perhaps there is some vile human who celebrates when a trans woman attacks another woman. Or who tries to incite illegal immigrants to murder the existing population?

I love the plea against polarisation later though that I don't even think is ironic. 

33 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I just heard Musk described as some people's "emotional support billionaire" and it seems strangely accurate. 

Seems to be the case with some. He is revered in the same way that Trump is.

Muskers - the new Trumpers?

Edited by Eddie

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Seems to be the case with some. He is revered in the same way that Trump is.

Muskers - the new Trumpers?

Musk and Trump both appeal to pathetic and weak men. Because they are so obviously pathetic and weak themselves.

They think - if these fellow pathetic insecure people can become rich and powerful, then maybe one day I can too

Except - becoming rich and powerful doesn't make anyone happy. It hasn't worked for them and it won't work for you either

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Musk and Trump both appeal to pathetic and weak men. Because they are so obviously pathetic and weak themselves.

They think - if these fellow pathetic insecure people can become rich and powerful, then maybe one day I can too

Except - becoming rich and powerful doesn't make anyone happy. It hasn't worked for them and it won't work for you either

Where do pathetic weak jealous men fit in the picture, asking for a friend 😂

https://mashable.com/article/x-twitter-elon-musk-bots-fake-traffic

An unprecedented 75% of twitter traffic found to be fake bots during the superbowl

Yet twitter were crowing about how many impressions they got

True to form, sounds like Musk is happy to artificially inflate his numbers to impress investors

"Solved the bot problem" my arse 

1 minute ago, Stive Pesley said:

https://mashable.com/article/x-twitter-elon-musk-bots-fake-traffic

An unprecedented 75% of twitter traffic found to be fake bots during the superbowl

Yet twitter were crowing about how many impressions they got

True to form, sounds like Musk is happy to artificially inflate his numbers to impress investors

"Solved the bot problem" my arse 

Another article to back this up

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/15/x-paid-post-promotion-advertising

Worth also looking into the Mr Beast and Elon Musk interaction which subsequently led to a quarter of a million dollar payout on the video he posted. 

His site, can do what he likes. I miss Twitter.

1 hour ago, David said:

Another article to back this up

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/15/x-paid-post-promotion-advertising

Worth also looking into the Mr Beast and Elon Musk interaction which subsequently led to a quarter of a million dollar payout on the video he posted. 

His site, can do what he likes. I miss Twitter.

Thank god Musk is standing up to the corporate elites that routinely dump on the little guy.

"Putin didn't just kill a person, he wanted to kill our hopes together with him, our freedom, our future."

"The fury, the anger, hatred for those who dared to kill our future"

The future leader of Russia?  Really?

She knows exactly why Putin killed Navalny and will share that info soon, stay tuned, don't miss an episode.

Edited by ramit

31 minutes ago, ramit said:

"Putin didn't just kill a person, he wanted to kill our hopes together with him, our freedom, our future."

"The fury, the anger, hatred for those who dared to kill our future"

The future leader of Russia?  Really?

She knows exactly why Putin killed Navalny and will share that info soon, stay tuned, don't miss an episode.

Brimming over with empathy aren't you?