Young Derby Players who didn't/haven't have the career we thought they may have done

sage

Taylor

Wisdom            Addison                Carbon         Lowe

Hughes               P.Williams       Hendrick

Barnes               Ramage                        

Sturridge       

Any others?         

If you said 'all of them' it wouldn't have been far off - we've had a problem with taking top academy prospects and getting them ready for senior football for whatever reason. We definitely don't seem to have a problem with getting in potential prospects and nurturing them through the academy but it's just the final important bump that seems to impact us.

A lot of clubs will be in a similar boat, but we don't seem to have many success stories either. Jeff Hendrick collected the biggest fee and that was off the back of a purple patch for Ireland in a tournament. I actually think it had little to do with his form with ourselves which was pretty poor in that season before he left. 

Huddlestone is the only one who actually went on to play at a high level. Barnes and Hughes have been the most impressive technically. Sibley still the best I've seen for Derby at academy level, but sadly getting to the point where that's unrecognisable at a senior level. 

We'll have to see how Kaide Gordon, Liam Delap, Dylan Williams and Omari Kellyman get on in the coming years. 

31 minutes ago, sage said:

Taylor

Sturridge       

Any others?         

Nyatanga, Holmes & Bennett spring to mind as highly touted youth internationals that didn't come to much.

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We'll have to see how Kaide Gordon, Liam Delap, Dylan Williams and Omari Kellyman get on in the coming years. 

From memory, weren't all of these U18 prospects that got prematurely bumped up the pecking order (and sold) due to our situation? Bit harder to judge us for that final stage of youth development if that's the case.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

From memory, weren't all of these U18 prospects that got prematurely bumped up the pecking order (and sold) due to our situation? Bit harder to judge us for that final stage of youth development if that's the case.

That's my point - they will get the benefit of further development elsewhere so we get to see how these 'top prospects' develop. All four were very highly rated at a young age, Kaide Gordon in particular. Kellyman is getting a lot of plaudits at Villa at the moment, he's seen as their top prospect coming through. 

1 minute ago, whiteroseram said:

Not the same level of expectation, but Miles Addison deserves a mention. Wasn't expecting him to reach the levels of a lot of these, but thought he'd kick on of not for injuries 

Game against Man U and I thought he’d play for England 

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Dean Holdsworth.

Well, he's a youngster compared to me........

....and Sage.....🤣

Actually Ralph, he is older than me and younger than you

8 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Not the same level of expectation, but Miles Addison deserves a mention. Wasn't expecting him to reach the levels of a lot of these, but thought he'd kick on of not for injuries 

I knew he wouldn’t make it when I saw him buying a bottle of “chekov” vodka from Mr booze 😂

1 hour ago, sage said:

Taylor

Sturridge       

Any others?         

Think a few of them have done ok.  Depends on expectation level.  Taylor did as well as I thought he would. Hughes, Hendrick, Williams and Sturridge all had mostly top flight careers. Barnes -and Hughes- had their level reduced by injury. Lowe was underused as was Ramage in the Cox 92 revolution of talent hoovering that didn't work.   Ramage was probably a shoe in for a step backup at Watford as he scored a lot of goals as a 10 before injury finished that opportunity.  Wisdom was captain of England U21's had been in the Liverpool first team fairly often and had just signed a 4 year contract when we had him on loan.  A different beast with 2 loans that had failed and a season asleep in Austria coming back  His recent interview didn't really inspire as a can do guy who meets being dropped head on either.  Carbon was never going to be good enough to dislodge what we had at the time on a regular basis.  If he'd been around and waited for Bragstaad and Prior he may have had a better chance.