Young Derby Players who didn't/haven't have the career we thought they may have done

sage

I'm assuming you mean "didn't live up to expectations" but I'd be tempted to have Lee Camp in goal - promising goalie, pushed out Lee Grant, Derby lad... didn't stay much longer and ended up playing for the filth down the road!

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

That's my point - they will get the benefit of further development elsewhere so we get to see how these 'top prospects' develop. All four were very highly rated at a young age, Kaide Gordon in particular. Kellyman is getting a lot of plaudits at Villa at the moment, he's seen as their top prospect coming through. 

That's right you produced him of your conveyor belt at 17

Omari Kellyman has quickly established himself as the next player off the conveyor belt of talented footballers that Aston Villa academy has produced in recent times.

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Bogle's done well since he left. He was playing really well before his big injury.

I had high expectations of him when he broke through to the first team. He looked like he had something special about him and spoke well for someone so young.

However something very trivial made me lose respect for him. It was during the first lockdown I think. 

He played a game of Fifa against a player from another team (can't remember who now). It was live streamed and after not seeing any football for weeks I was quite looking forward to this encounter.

It was an anticlimax. Bogle got a right spanking and quit the game part way through and without any explanation disappeared off line.

Like I said earlier it seems trivial but it did make me think, has this kid got the mental strength to make it if he can quit so easily. I was very disappointed with him but time is a great healer.

Hope he makes the big time and proves me wrong and that we have a big sell on clause incorporated into his deal. 

10 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I had high expectations of him when he broke through to the first team. He looked like he had something special about him and spoke well for someone so young.

However something very trivial made me lose respect for him. It was during the first lockdown I think. 

He played a game of Fifa against a player from another team (can't remember who now). It was live streamed and after not seeing any football for weeks I was quite looking forward to this encounter.

It was an anticlimax. Bogle got a right spanking and quit the game part way through and without any explanation disappeared off line.

Like I said earlier it seems trivial but it did make me think, has this kid got the mental strength to make it if he can quit so easily. I was very disappointed with him but time is a great healer.

Hope he makes the big time and proves me wrong and that we have a big sell on clause incorporated into his deal. 

Haha, I completely forgot about those fifa tournaments between pro footballers! Seems like a lifetime ago.

Wouldn't read too much into it tbf. Could be interpreted as being weak mentally, but a lot of elite athletes are terrible losers (see Ronaldo, Michael Jordan, etc). Does come across dickish, mind.

7 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Haha, I completely forgot about those fifa tournaments between pro footballers! Seems like a lifetime ago.

Wouldn't read too much into it tbf. Could be interpreted as being weak mentally, but a lot of elite athletes are terrible losers (see Ronaldo, Michael Jordan, etc). Does come across dickish, mind.

I totally get them being bad losers but giving up is different I think. You can be a bad loser after a game but whilst it's still in progress I doubt very few of those elite athletes completely give up. 

Professional pride should keep you going. Many a game has looked a lost cause but you have to keep going to the end. Port Vale away last season is a prime example.  

22 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Lee Morris if that counts? Really had high hopes for the lad but don't know what went wrong?  

Injuries.

Gary Twigg and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson for me, both had half decent careers, but I thought they would make it big.

Henrik Ojaama was another I rated highly.

Adam Murray, Marvin Robinson, Pablo Mills and the local lad who came through at 15 at same time as Huddlestone, highly rated at the time (name escapes me).

Ivan Calero, Santos and Koblenz more recently.

Miles Addison looked immense when he first came through. I'm glad to see he's doing well as a fitness trainer.

Will Hughes has had a good career but I thought he'd have a great career. Playing for a side who has regular European football. Not as a sub for Crystal Palace. 

Callum Ball was never going to be good enough. Not sure what people saw in him. Looked like a lad who developed very early and used his physical size to bully youngsters off the ball. Once he went up to men's football then he looked completely out of his depth. Scored a couple of goals but he soon faded away.

Edited by SSD

On 21/07/2023 at 19:31, Damon1985 said:

Lee Holmes?

On 21/07/2023 at 19:31, Damon1985 said:

Lee Holmes?

His career was blighted by “The Derby Way”. I saw him come through in the reserves/under 18, and he was a really exciting player who lit the crowd up when he got on the ball.

He did the same when he appeared in the first team it was the same. There was a buzz whenever he got the ball, because he could beat his man, put good crosses in a d wasn’t afraid to shoot. Yet even though we were playing poorly and struggling to score, he was usually on the bench, at least until the last 10 or 20 minutes, or when we were behind and the game was almost gone. He was extremely left footed, but more often than not his pittance of minutes would be on the right wing. He was sent out on loan (to Walsall, I believe) but his head was already gone.

What a waste! We have done it to others as well, and my fear is that we are doing the same to Sibley.

On 21/07/2023 at 16:49, sage said:

Taylor

Wisdom            Addison                Carbon         Lowe

Hughes               P.Williams       Hendrick

Barnes               Ramage                        

Sturridge       

Any others?         

They all did well except ' Barnes ' on basis I don't know who the heck he is !!

21 hours ago, InstaRam said:

Lee Morris if that counts? Really had high hopes for the lad but don't know what went wrong?  

I was going to say that. He got injured early on and his game was all about pace. I remember his debut for us and he was properly rapid.