Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

Shouldn't we all be thinking of Rhodes as being another McGoldrick? The similarities are there for many to see, yet mostly, the negatives are his scoring record is not what it used to be (if it was we'd need to find £5m), his hair is thinning and he can't run the 100m in under 11 seconds? A rotation of Collins, Washington and Rhodes, with a little bit of Dajourne Brown, maybe some Sibley and Barkhuizen thrown in, looks okay to me for building a squad to get us out of this division. At least most have heard of him, know what a excellent career he has had, and didn't have to look him up on Wiki.

On 19/07/2023 at 07:28, SSD said:

50 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

Shouldn't we all be thinking of Rhodes as being another McGoldrick? The similarities are there for many to see, yet mostly, the negatives are his scoring record is not what it used to be (if it was we'd need to find £5m), his hair is thinning and he can't run the 100m in under 11 seconds? A rotation of Collins, Washington and Rhodes, with a little bit of Dajourne Brown, maybe some Sibley and Barkhuizen thrown in, looks okay to me for building a squad to get us out of this division. At least most have heard of him, know what a excellent career he has had, and didn't have to look him up on Wiki.

The problem is (problem being my opinion) I feel Collins/Washington/Rhodes are a similar mold. I would of liked a different option and someone who can frighten defenders with pace behind when a target man isn't working. However, the flip side to this is hoping 1 of the youngsters can make the the step up and give us that injection of pace, I don't know. 

Rhodes is a good option no doubt, but he's far from the final piece. Happy to be wrong but he's no Didzy and definitely not someone I'd have on the wage bill going into (potentially) the championship next year.

1 hour ago, Macintosh said:

Shouldn't we all be thinking of Rhodes as being another McGoldrick? The similarities are there for many to see.

1. They're both strikers in the twilight of their career dropping down a league.

2. Uuuuuuum, no, that's it really unless you're really stretching the list out..

1. They're both male

2. They've both made a living from professional sport.

3. They're both in advance of 33 years of age.

4. They're both above 6 ft tall

5. They both prefer wearing trunks to boxer shorts

6. They both secretly wear contact lenses

7. They've both played international football

8. They've both played over 37,000 but fewer than 38,000 minutes of club football.

9. They've both played for Sheffield Wednesday.

10. They both prefer cats to dogs 

Edited by Kokosnuss

I think Rhodes would score goals but my hunch is that his demands have stalled the deal. I don't doubt the rumours he's been to the club, nor that they believed he would sign, but I'm wondering whether whatever was loosely agreed, at the last minute he's done a Martin / Didzy and demanded a 2 year contract adn we've rightly baulked.

14 hours ago, SK47 said:

Happy to be wrong but he's no Didzy and definitely not someone I'd have on the wage bill going into (potentially) the championship next year.

To be fair, when we signed McGoldrick, in the twilight years of his career, I didn’t expect him to go on and have the most prolific season of his career.

If he's not sure he wants to be here and that's what is holding the deal up then take whatever we have offered off the table and move on. Simple as that. Warne said he only wants players that want to be here, if he is half-arsed about it then it's a massive no from me at least for whatever that is worth.

If it's more a case of Huddersfield not letting him go until they have got someone in then fair enough, wait a week and see where we are at. 

30 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

To be fair, when we signed McGoldrick, in the twilight years of his career, I didn’t expect him to go on and have the most prolific season of his career.

No-one did but seems everyone wants a 20+ goal striker (obvs!) Which he wasn't until he played for us! 🙂

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If he's not sure he wants to be here and that's what is holding the deal up then take whatever we have offered off the table and move on. Simple as that. Warne said he only wants players that want to be here, if he is half-arsed about it then it's a massive no from me at least for whatever that is worth.

If it's more a case of Huddersfield not letting him go until they have got someone in then fair enough, wait a week and see where we are at. 

I think it's the latter - I'd imagine the numbers would've needed to be sorted early into in the negotiation. Rhodes is on £1m+ per annum at Huddersfield. It's not a contract we can walk into and take on, like we believe we did with Collins. 

Rhodes, if signed, will be our highest paid player. I would've assume it would've looked something like £15k a week over two years or within that region to make it worthwhile. 

14 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I don’t know the full story (do any of us?) but rather than not wanting to be here, do you think it might be more a case of seeing what other offers he might get first - higher level football, better wages etc? We shouldn’t kid ourselves that Derby are such a big draw that players just jump at the chance to come here rather than weighing up their options.

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t know the full story (do any of us?) but rather than not wanting to be here, do you think it might be more a case of seeing what other offers he might get first - higher level football, better wages etc? We shouldn’t kid ourselves that Derby are such a big draw that players just jump at the chance to come here rather than weighing up their options.

I'm not kidding myself on that front, if he wants to wait for other offers then fair enough. He should also understand that if he does that the risk on his part is Derby run out of patience, sign someone else, and he doesn't manage to find himself a better offer. It goes both ways and we can't wait forever whilst he figures it out for himself.

Of course, he might be really keen on the move and desperate to get here but factors outside of his and our control are holding it up. If that's the case then I look forward to  him coming on board if those issues get resolved.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I think it's the latter - I'd imagine the numbers would've needed to be sorted early into in the negotiation. Rhodes is on £1m+ per annum at Huddersfield. It's not a contract we can walk into and take on, like we believe we did with Collins. 

Rhodes, if signed, will be our highest paid player. I would've assume it would've looked something like £15k a week over two years or within that region to make it worthwhile. 

We of course don't know the figures, but I think it fair to assume that Rhodes is probably already on at least £15k p.w. with HTFC, with 1 year still on his contract. He will want a 2 year contract minimum to come to us, and I doubt at any lower wage. When I read that our budget is perhaps similar to last year I smile, because I suspect Sonny Bradley is not far from silmilar terms. These are quite big numbers for a League 1 side.

23 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Where have you got £1m+ a year from!?

26 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

If it would take £15k pw to sign him then we should immediately walk away from the table. This is a player who has only been good enough to play 30% of the league minutes over the past 7 seasons.

Given his history and style of play, I'd be surprised if his game time differed with us. We should be looking at about £6k, with Huddersfield paying the difference.

9 minutes ago, TZM said:

Where have you got £1m+ a year from!?

According to their fans, he's their highest earner on £20k+ a week - £20k a week is £1m per annum - so it would be north of that. I have seen £25k, 30k... They have £20m wage budget based on their 21/22 figures. 

15 hours ago, SK47 said:

The problem is (problem being my opinion) I feel Collins/Washington/Rhodes are a similar mold. I would of liked a different option and someone who can frighten defenders with pace behind when a target man isn't working. However, the flip side to this is hoping 1 of the youngsters can make the the step up and give us that injection of pace, I don't know. 

I would not consider Washington and Collins to be similar, but I can certainly see them developing a partnership. I'm hoping the team and the style of play that Warne is planning is one that wins matches. Some tinkering, yes, but built around this squad he has assembled, with his preferred wing-backs and lots more shots from outside the area. I don't think Manchester City would want a speedy Vardy signing just in case Haaland is ineffective, similarly with Kane at Spurs etc.

If there was a noticeable weakness last season it was the inability to convert hundreds of corners and free-kicks in the opposition box. The delivery was always excellent, but the threat was rare. Cashin, Bradley and Nelson will be a different proposition and Washington and Collins [and Rhodes] can feed off any knockdowns, that is their strength. I am wishing for an extra 15 goals to come via that this season and the front two players to deliver 30 goals collectively, whatever the combination.

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

According to their fans, he's their highest earner on £20k+ a week - £20k a week is £1m per annum - so it would be north of that. I have seen £25k, 30k... They have £20m wage budget based on their 21/22 figures. 

£8,100 (£421,200) I was told. Their highest paid players are Faustino Anjorin at £27,000 and Matthew Lowton at £24,000, then the rest are all in single figures. Duane Holmes £6,400.

3 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

£8,100 (£421,200) I was told. Their highest paid players are Faustino Anjorin at £27,000 and Matthew Lowton at £24,000, then the rest are all in single figures. Duane Holmes £6,400.

killing eve bullshit GIF by BBC America

16 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

Good morning is that Huddersfield Town Football Club? - Yes sir. How may we help you?

Can I speak to your payroll department please? Of course. Just connecting you sir.

Good morning, Payroll. How can we help you?

I would be grateful if you might confirm the weekly wage of Jordan Rhodes please?

How would you be spelling the surname sir?

R H O D E S

Ah yes, found him sir. Would you like gross or net figure? Gross will be fine thank you.

Well, Mr Rhodes is currently earning £8100 per week, but he may have other benefits. Is that all you need?

No you have been ver, ... well actually, it might be useful if you might also confirm the weekly wage of your two highest paid footballing employees, and perhaps Duane Holmes?  Of course sir, how would you be spelling the latter's surname .......

Edited by i-Ram

16 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

Is that from the same website that said Haydon Roberts was on £38k a week?