Supporters Board

Huge step for us as a football club, one that will enshrine a layer of transparency and accountability into the fabric of DCFC and ensure its long-term standing as a community asset rather than simply an investment opportunity. Any steps towards democratising football should be welcomed with open arms and I’m proud that we’re one of the clubs leading the way on this. 

My only questions would be relating to governance - I understand it would be existing members of the SCG and the Rams Trust who essentially get to elect members of the Supporters Board, which I agree with in principle. How easy will it be to remove elected members from their position if necessary? Who gets the final say?

5 minutes ago, Vimto Enjoyer said:

Huge step for us as a football club, one that will enshrine a layer of transparency and accountability into the fabric of DCFC and ensure its long-term standing as a community asset rather than simply an investment opportunity. Any steps towards democratising football should be welcomed with open arms and I’m proud that we’re one of the clubs leading the way on this. 

My only questions would be relating to governance - I understand it would be existing members of the SCG and the Rams Trust who essentially get to elect members of the Supporters Board, which I agree with in principle. How easy will it be to remove elected members from their position if necessary? Who gets the final say?

My mistake, three members will be made up from the RT and the SCG, whilst the other three will be chosen by various representatives from DCFC, the Football Supporters Assoc. and one “independent local person of standing”.

Which actually makes my question more pertinent, I suppose. 

I'm disappointed 'academy' isn't included in the SB discussion topics, as I feel it should be a key pillar of our club. At least the finances are included (accounts). I hope at least 1 member of the SB will understand the accounts and not just look at the key figures (profit and wages) 😅

Looks good. Really impressed with how they've scoped this - It works be difficult to ignore existing SCG members but it is essential that the right skill sets are defined and required to a good balance. Also a mix of age, gender etc, so important.

Anyone who's ever served on a disfunctional committee of a golf/rugby/football club will recognise this importance.

My 2p...

I'm happy this will sit separate from the SCG and, by extension, RamsTrust. I've nothing against RT - I'm indeed a member FWIW - but for the sake of the hate sent in their direction, the Supporters Board really needs to be independent of that.

The club has a difficult job on its hands in sifting through what I'm sure will be a very popular application process - but putting it in the hands of the FSA aswell should avoid any accusations of planting stooges in there...

Overall, this looks very well planned so far. Would this have happened under He Who Should Not Be Named? No.

26 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

My 2p...

I'm happy this will sit separate from the SCG and, by extension, RamsTrust. I've nothing against RT - I'm indeed a member FWIW - but for the sake of the hate sent in their direction, the Supporters Board really needs to be independent of that.

The club has a difficult job on its hands in sifting through what I'm sure will be a very popular application process - but putting it in the hands of the FSA aswell should avoid any accusations of planting stooges in there...

Overall, this looks very well planned so far. Would this have happened under He Who Should Not Be Named? No.

Not quite sure about the non involvement of RT & SCG
RamsTrust are guaranteed one place. Members of SCG guaranteed 2 places.

In line with the FSA’s recommendations, it is proposed that the SB consists of six members, constituted as follows:

1 x member from Rams Trust as the official supporter group focussed on governance issues (as per guidance in the White Paper).

2 x existing members from the groups that make up the SCG which meet (or plan to meet) FSA core principles.

3 x independent members

It is proposed that the three independent members of the SB be selected on an application process, against an agreed role specification (to be agreed with the final selection to be made by a three-person panel consisting of:

1 x DCFC representative (likely to be a board member)

1 x FSA representative

1 x independent local person of standing (business/local government etc

Edited by Old Spalding Ram

12 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Not quite sure about the non involvement of RT & SCG
RamsTrust are guaranteed one place. Members of SCG guaranteed 2 places.

In line with the FSA’s recommendations, it is proposed that the SB consists of six members, constituted as follows:

1 x member from Rams Trust as the official supporter group focussed on governance issues (as per guidance in the White Paper).

2 x existing members from the groups that make up the SCG which meet (or plan to meet) FSA core principles.

3 x independent members

It is proposed that the three independent members of the SB be selected on an application process, against an agreed role specification (to be agreed with the final selection to be made by a three-person panel consisting of:

1 x DCFC representative (likely to be a board member)

1 x FSA representative

1 x independent local person of standing (business/local government etc

I understand your point - but I didn't say they wouldn't be involved, but it would be separate.

I think it is right they are involved as the 'biggest' and longest standing official SG.

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I understand your point - but I didn't say they wouldn't be involved, but it would be separate.

I think it is right they are involved as the 'biggest' and longest standing official SG.

I was just replying to your comment regards the Supporters Board being independent from those groups who already have a voice within the club.

I was just expecting the constitution to be a little more …………………radical.👍

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm disappointed 'academy' isn't included in the SB discussion topics, as I feel it should be a key pillar of our club. At least the finances are included (accounts). I hope at least 1 member of the SB will understand the accounts and not just look at the key figures (profit and wages) 😅

I think this is an interesting point. The article states that “football is not an area of discussion” for the proposed board, and the academy is explicitly mentioned as falling in that “football” category. I know you’re very involved/knowledgeable about the academy, so if you think it forms an integral pillar of the club, would you be willing to raise that as a comment to the consultation?

It looks like the Supporters Board will be more concerned with protecting what makes the club what it is- colours, ground, culture, values, social responsibility. And also making sure no one ever again speculates financially to the extent of threatening the clubs existence. The only argument I could see is that the academy has role to play locally in schools etc. as a community organisation- and hence should form part of the remit of the board?

40 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Is this where I sign up my consent for blue shorts, and putting the Ram back in the circle of gold?  

👀  

Ram in a circle won't be discussed with the SB as it isn't a "significant" change.

8 minutes ago, Sussex Ram said:

I think this is an interesting point. The article states that “football is not an area of discussion” for the proposed board, and the academy is explicitly mentioned as falling in that “football” category. I know you’re very involved/knowledgeable about the academy, so if you think it forms an integral pillar of the club, would you be willing to raise that as a comment to the consultation?

It looks like the Supporters Board will be more concerned with protecting what makes the club what it is- colours, ground, culture, values, social responsibility. And also making sure no one ever again speculates financially to the extent of threatening the clubs existence. The only argument I could see is that the academy has role to play locally in schools etc. as a community organisation- and hence should form part of the remit of the board?

I've already sent my feedback on the matter. It's a difficult one, but I think certain aspects which have a considerable impact should be allowed (such as academy status).

3 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I was just replying to your comment regards the Supporters Board being independent from those groups who already have a voice within the club.

I was just expecting the constitution to be a little more …………………radical.👍

I see - my point was more that the Supporters Board as a whole will be independent, not just a section of RT.

When you say radical, what were you looking for? Perhaps put some feedback in? 🙂