Liam Thompson future plans

jono

Interesting that Thommo got good game time on Saturday. If Knighty goes we are going to need a willing runner in the middle.

He didn’t have much of a season last year, started ok without being spectacular, then the loan. In contrast to the previous season where he looked to be on a fast upward curve.

I like him. Great energy, accurate passing, good touch and a terrier. Confidence in his final ball maybe missing but I am going out on a limb and going to say his stepping up will be the big surprise this season. 

Edited by jono

Started well 2 seasons ago but then possibly got over confident and got caught in possession quite a few times ( at least once trying to dribble out of defence) resulting in conceding a goal. Then seemed to lose some confidence and always made a safe pass, virtually always backward. Needs to get a better balance to his game, mainly keeping it simple, but always positive. Has potential for sure, but needs to learn quicker from the mistakes he makes. Sure the management team keep pointing these out to him.

5 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Started well 2 seasons ago but then possibly got over confident and got caught in possession quite a few times ( at least once trying to dribble out of defence) resulting in conceding a goal. Then seemed to lose some confidence and always made a safe pass, virtually always backward. Needs to get a better balance to his game, mainly keeping it simple, but always positive. Has potential for sure, but needs to learn quicker from the mistakes he makes. Sure the management team keep pointing these out to him.

Think you’re right, those errors damaged his confidence and took away his natural instincts just a bit too much. He took his goal well. More of those goal things please Thommo.

1 hour ago, jono said:

Interesting that Thommo got good game time on Saturday. If Knighty goes we are going to need a willing runner in the middle.

He didn’t have much of a season last year, started ok without being spectacular, then the loan. In contrast to the previous season where he looked to be on a fast upward curve.

I like him. Great energy, accurate passing, good touch and a terrier. Confidence in his final ball maybe missing but I am going out on a limb and going to say his stepping up will be the big surprise this season. 

It would definitely be a surprise because, with the sale of Knight, PW has a chance to bring in a midfielder of his own choosing (subject to availability). But I do think he might keep Thompson around this year - he said he didn't really want to loan him out last year but giving some game time made more sense.

I agree about most of the attributes you mentioned, and you can add the ability to find a yard of space in a tight situation. Not sure about the passing accuracy unless we're talking short-range though. I can't recall seeing much longer-range passing from Thommo.

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

I think Liam could play wingback to be honest, quick aggressive and solid defensively. Got a good pass on him too. Would take some work but I think he could thrive there

Don't he can "drive" as such to do it. He operates better in close situations, retaining and keeping simple. Off the ball, he can be tenacious. Think you'd take that all out of him sticking him on a touchline.

11 hours ago, jameso said:

But I do think he might keep Thompson around this year - he said he didn't really want to loan him out last year but giving some game time made more sense.

Warne loaned him out at a time when we were on a poor run of form and looking knackered as a squad.  Hardly suggests to me that Warne values him. Personally think his use of the ball is too safe - too many sideways and backwards passes.  Reckon Warne will feel the same given that he likes us to move the ball forward quickly.

6 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Warne loaned him out at a time when we were on a poor run of form and looking knackered as a squad.  Hardly suggests to me that Warne values him. Personally think his use of the ball is too safe - too many sideways and backwards passes.  Reckon Warne will feel the same given that he likes us to move the ball forward quickly.

As I say, I'd expect Warne to bring in his own choice of midfielder.

Not sure I agree with you on what he thinks of Thompson. He's obviously not going to say anything as blunt as "I don't rate him so I've let him go to Scunthorpe" but, taking his words at face value, he spoke highly of him at the time, but realistically didn't imagine he'd be picking Thompson ahead of the midfielders then available to him.

I agree about the passing though. Whether it was something he was told to do the previous season (under Rooney/Rosenior) his passing has always seemed very conservative. When he first got some game time under Warne he seemed to have renewed energy and a bit of a license to get forward (only a bit, mind), as shown with his goal against Torquay. I think he's naturally busy and would like to see whether he's got a wider range of passing in him.

8 minutes ago, jameso said:

Not sure I agree with you on what he thinks of Thompson. He's obviously not going to say anything as blunt as "I don't rate him so I've let him go to Scunthorpe" but, taking his words at face value, he spoke highly of him at the time, but realistically didn't imagine he'd be picking Thompson ahead of the midfielders then available to him.

He didn't need to be picking Thommo ahead of the likes of Bird, Hourihane or Knight.  He could've kept him around and had him on the bench to come on after 70 minutes.  He didn't even want him for that though.   He sent him to a non-league club.  

Actions speak louder than words.

So we lose Knight, and people say he should score more, then say Thommo could be a replacement? 

Good God no. If every there was a player who has a stat line that reads of played 40, 1 goal, 2 assists, its Thompson.

Move on for me.

18 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

He didn't need to be picking Thommo ahead of the likes of Bird, Hourihane or Knight.  He could've kept him around and had him on the bench to come on after 70 minutes.  He didn't even want him for that though.   He sent him to a non-league club.  

Actions speak louder than words.

He had White in front of him too in terms of options off the bench (and Smith if using a different option at right-back).

From DT website at the time:

"He really wanted it (the move)," he [Warne] said. "I am not saying you do have to listen to the players but you do have to listen to the players.

"In fairness to him, he's trained really well and his attitude has been amazing. We had a similar conversation back in January and I just asked him to be patient and that he would get time and all that.

"He hasn't really got much game time. I try not to tell the lads one thing and then change tact five, six, seven weeks later.

"Realistically he got himself into a position and I don't want this to come across wrong because as I said his attitude has been amazing.

"But he was frustrated at not getting game time and he does have phenomenal midfielders in front of him.

"I just thought if we were going to use him would he be ready truth be told. He came to me with it. I hadn't punted his name around or anything like that. He just came to me and would I permit it."

I agree actions speak louder than words, but the action was (only) that he loaned a player out because on balance he thought that was the best option and apparently also one the player wanted. The words, for whatever they're worth, don't indicate that Warne doesn't rate him.

I’d be amazed if he plays regularly for anyone in league one. He rats about ok, but drifts out of position badly to the left, then his passing is very negative. And his size not ideal either.

Would send to league two for a year and see if he can force his way into a team and make an impact.

started well under Rooney, but was mainly in games where we were really backs against the wall and putting massive shifts in. Also had some poor ones in that season too.

14 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

i think you nailed it. with him, it’s a lot about confidence. he really needs a manager who believes in him and brings him on. It may mean L2 is the place for him right now. I doubt he’d have much game time with us next season. judging by his interviews he’s a great young lad and I would love to see him do well 

Thompson is ok, but he’s unlikely to get near the squad at the start of the season if we’re being honest. He’s got a lot of development to do before he becomes a useful player for us - he did enough to not stand out as poor when he first got into the team when we were in a desperate state as a club. He hasn’t ever been anything more than that, in my opinion.