Liam Thompson

jono

1 hour ago, NorwichExile said:

My gut feeling about players is horrendously inaccurate (my friend group don't let me forget that every time I've said a new signing is a donkey, they become a cult hero) so I wouldn't worry too much. Thommo is not even close to the player Bird is right now. I just get the impression there's an incredibly talented player in Thommo.

But I also said Miles Addison would be England captain, and that Giorgios Samaras could be his generations Trezeguet so...

There's the famous clip in which some geezer at a West Ham fans forum tells Harry Redknapp to leave out Frank Lampard and pick Scotty Canham instead! So you never know how players might turn out, but I'd be surprised if Thompson outdoes Bird - not to belittle Thommo in any way. As a few others have suggested, I think Bird has the makings of a very good player... but that's a separate discussion!

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

He's got an excellent first touch and very quick feet, but seems to fall into the Knight problem of not having a best role. I think his ceiling is higher than Bird, but he has to carve out a rut for himself and I'm not sure where he's gonna get the game time to do that.

He’s gonna need the extra long ladders to reach then 😜

Edited by DiggerB

At least he has a chance to get some good game time in the early rounds of the cup games if he stays here. Also Hourihane and Smith are out of contract next season. So depending on how things go there may end up being more opportunities next year. 

He could always be loaned out in Jan depending how we’re doing etc 

On 12/07/2023 at 10:29, Magicman said:

Thomo deserves to be in the squad but don't see him getting ahead of Bird Smith or Hourihane but ready to come off the bench if they get over run. His energy & bite is going to be vital in away games .

Make your mind up. 

• 1 month later...

I’m a secret fan of Thommo. Ever since that legendary turn leading to Plange’s goal against Fulham. I wonder if he’s the hidden gem amongst the other youth players that have had varying degrees of success? Bird, knight, sibley, cashin all been good … perhaps Thommo is the chosen one though? With his height and industry he reminds me of that ex Liverpool player David Thompson. Needs a run in the team and a manager to back him. But perhaps the answer was in front of us all this time.

Liam Thompson … the second coming?

2 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

He is certainly the ready made replacement for Knight. If and when we get a new midfielder though it will be Thompson that gets dropped. 

This is sadly likely true. Ideal would be Bird comes back to fitness and plays with Thompson and whoever is coming in and we can completely drop the old, immobile, slow turnstile of a midfield. 

25 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I really liked his interview. Very focussed and succinct. A very good performance too and I think the lad has a decent future ahead of him. While I'm uncertain that Warne is great with younger players, the loan move to guarantee the lad competitive football looks a shrewd move now.

The loan move Thompson demanded because Warne didn't trust him, instead opting to give game time to White?

I’m glad he had a good game, we really could do with him establishing himself because he does cover a lot of ground and offer energy.

Hourihane is the midfielder with a bit of end product, so for me he has to start, the other two centre mid positions really need to cover his leg work. Korey Smith isn’t doing too much in his position, so I see no reason why he can’t be replaced with Thompson.