Liam Thompson

jono

8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

So has the current manager improved him? 

Has he? Last season it seemed he saw him as a CDM, the start of this he was a wingback and then finally he decided to play him as an attacking midfielder. Has he improved him, or just recognised his strengths (thanks to Bird's injuries)? It seems Warne is turning into a lucky manager, first Waggy and now Tommo! 😄 Who next Sibs?

Edited by RoyMac5

18 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Hourihane is probably safe as he's the skipper

Wonder whether the players knew they were voting on season long team selection.

Quite possible that by the time Bird is back the best midfield will be Bird, Tommo, Fornah, Smith. It will take a lot for Warne to drop H from the starting line up. That means that if eventually he decides it’s the best thing to do, it will be after a prolonged period of starting with the wrong Xl.  

If they were to vote again maybe it would be Waggy. Still recall him on the touch line after scoring in the mad last-day-of-the-season west brom game

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Wonder whether the players knew they were voting on season long team selection.

Quite possible that by the time Bird is back the best midfield will be Bird, Tommo, Fornah, Smith. It will take a lot for Warne to drop H from the starting line up. That means that if eventually he decides it’s the best thing to do, it will be after a prolonged period of starting with the wrong Xl.  

If they were to vote again maybe it would be Waggy. Still recall him on the touch line after scoring in the mad last-day-of-the-season west brom game

I don't get how a lot don't seem to rate Hourihane ? I'm one that does and think he deserves his place, he knows where the goal is and that is a good trait as a midfielder and wouldn't be surprised to see him get 7-10 goals if Fornah is sitting deeper to cover 

12 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Actually I have to agree with you. I was thinking of Tommo when he first appeared, which I thought was last season. It was actually before then, and apart form the travesty of the FA Cup match against Chorley when we were forced to filed a team of babies, he made his 1st team mark under Rooney. But then he came under the Rosenior way of doing things which did involve playing it safe in order to keep the ball, instead of tying to attack and risk losing it, hence you remember his sideways passing last year. Sad that it took him so long to get over it.

Minutes played under each manager:
Rooney - 1611
Warne - 792
Rosenior - 297

I'm not sure you can put the couple of months under Rosenior as the reason for "sideways and backwards passing". We've gone from having static forwards or those who prefer it to feet (Kazim, Collins, McGoldrick) to players who are better at running onto the ball (Waghorn, Washington)

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

I don't get how a lot don't seem to rate Hourihane ? I'm one that does and think he deserves his place, he knows where the goal is and that is a good trait as a midfielder and wouldn't be surprised to see him get 7-10 goals if Fornah is sitting deeper to cover 

In the right system Hourihane would flourish. Box-to-box with high defensive responsibility is not the right role for him.

19 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In the right system Hourihane would flourish. Box-to-box with high defensive responsibility is not the right role for him.

It's something I've largely felt since he's joined but I think at this point in his career he should be thought of as a 10 primarily. 

He's too peripheral to play elsewhere right know but he does still have the ability to really effect games by getting into scoring opportunities and with his final ball.

20 hours ago, S8TY said:

I think both the people who rate him and don't rate him talk about two sides of the same coin. 

He really can meaningfully impact a game but he also often goes completely missing. He's largely a luxury player but we just haven't really played him as such which exercerbates his faults and tbh downplays his strengths a little. 

• 2 months later...
On 29/08/2023 at 10:05, S8TY said:

this frustrates me too! he's a class player, excellent passer of the ball. probably sits too deep but that's not up to him.

fans from other clubs  can't believe we have a player of his calibre yet he gets no credit from some quarters, ironically because he 'doesn't run around enough'.

18 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

this frustrates me too! he's a class player, excellent passer of the ball. probably sits too deep but that's not up to him.

fans from other clubs  can't believe we have a player of his calibre yet he gets no credit from some quarters, ironically because he 'doesn't run around enough'.

Or because fans from other clubs have heard of him and don’t have to watch what he actually does every week. Weird measuring stick. 

17 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I’m not sure that Warne knows is best position ie an holding midfielder or more advanced. For me Hourihane playing alongside Smith and Bird doesn’t work.