Liam Thompson

jono

20 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Started well 2 seasons ago but then possibly got over confident and got caught in possession quite a few times ( at least once trying to dribble out of defence) resulting in conceding a goal. Then seemed to lose some confidence and always made a safe pass, virtually always backward. Needs to get a better balance to his game, mainly keeping it simple, but always positive. Has potential for sure, but needs to learn quicker from the mistakes he makes. Sure the management team keep pointing these out to him.

His turn in form coincided with a horrendous studs-up assault on his thigh in the match against the Trees. 

Shame to see what's happened to Thompson. He was an absolute menace against Stoke when we beat them 2-1. Basically ran the game in the first half. I don't see why he couldn't contribute at this level but he'd need a bit of work on his passing and positioning i think. 

On 10/07/2023 at 20:07, Blondest Goat said:

He didn't need to be picking Thommo ahead of the likes of Bird, Hourihane or Knight.  He could've kept him around and had him on the bench to come on after 70 minutes.  He didn't even want him for that though.   He sent him to a non-league club.  

Actions speak louder than words.

Disagree, he couldn’t pick him because of those 3 but he knew the lad needed to be playing competitively. .. I’d say that was saying I can’t play you yet but I know you need to play for all our best interests and future. It was a long headed thoughtful decision. He’ll play this season, maybe not first choice but he will be knocking on the door. He’s got a rare first touch. There’s quality in that boy. 

Edited by jono

I like him a lot. He lost his confidence last season but if he can strengthen up a bit and focus on what he does well rather than trying to be something he isn't, he could be a top player.

Strangely I think he's better suited to the championship than league 1 but hopefully he'll prove that he can cope at this level and go on to be a star.

On 10/07/2023 at 07:04, jono said:

Interesting that Thommo got good game time on Saturday. If Knighty goes we are going to need a willing runner in the middle.

He didn’t have much of a season last year, started ok without being spectacular, then the loan. In contrast to the previous season where he looked to be on a fast upward curve.

I like him. Great energy, accurate passing, good touch and a terrier. Confidence in his final ball maybe missing but I am going out on a limb and going to say his stepping up will be the big surprise this season. 

He started very well in his debut season & looked very promising but last season clearly lacked confidence & his play became stereotypical and predictable: stereotypical insofar as he would repeat his play each time he got the ball and very notably started to look at his feet / head down when on the ball in stark contrast to say Will Hughes who always played with his head up. I suspect he needs another loan somewhere to re-construct his game which is essentially a hustling midfield who wins ball & moves it on but I’m sure there’s a good player there. 

Think we might need Thompson this season since he seem to bring some much needed running to the side. He covers many yards. With Knight gone it might open up a bit for him and I think he brings something a bit different to the side than Bird/Hourihane. Last season under Warne he seemed to not really understand his role on the pitch but with a new season, more time with the coaches and a new start at least I would'nt write him off just yet. Thought last season would be a great one for him and I was as usual way off but maybe this is his year instead?

19 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

His turn in form coincided with a horrendous studs-up assault on his thigh in the match against the Trees. 

That's going to happen, especially in this league.  I remember Steve Bull busting Stimacs eye in the 0-0 v Wolves.  He had it stitched, came back and almost removed his testicles just blindside of the ref so it looked like a slightly late tackle.  Been waiting years for someone to bully the bull.  You need to cope with it and hand it back if your going to get in and stay in. 

7 hours ago, Ellafella said:

He started very well in his debut season & looked very promising but last season clearly lacked confidence & his play became stereotypical and predictable: stereotypical insofar as he would repeat his play each time he got the ball and very notably started to look at his feet / head down when on the ball in stark contrast to say Will Hughes who always played with his head up. I suspect he needs another loan somewhere to re-construct his game which is essentially a hustling midfield who wins ball & moves it on but I’m sure there’s a good player there. 

I think you make good points. I suppose it’s Warne’s choice and will depend on final numbers. There was a dip in confidence, the question is will his development be better served under a less pressured environment on loan vs being coached at home and getting chances to shine when cover / hustling energy is needed. I guess we’ll see pretty soon.

2 hours ago, jono said:

I think you make good points. I suppose it’s Warne’s choice and will depend on final numbers. There was a dip in confidence, the question is will his development be better served under a less pressured environment on loan vs being coached at home and getting chances to shine when cover / hustling energy is needed. I guess we’ll see pretty soon.

I would keep him around the Derby squad and work with him; I’d give him lots of individualised sessions. He’ll need to be patient but my assessment is that he has huge heart which will drive him on. That’s possibly a luxury predicament which Warne may feel is beyond practicable but once Thommo regains his mojo and confidence I think he’ll be an asset. The scales will be tipped by whether a replacement for Knight is bought in. We definitely need a midfield dynamo / enforcer. 

last year he had hourihane , knight , bird , sibley , white , smith that could cover the midfield role (even though white was a waste of a loan slot). Now that we've lost knight and got rid of white.  Id suggest that he'll be on the bench or starting some games. think it also depends where he wants sibley and smith to play as they have both operated as makeshift winger/right back. 

i think league one is very physical which he struggles with. But hes gonna be a decent player 

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That's going to happen, especially in this league.  I remember Steve Bull busting Stimacs eye in the 0-0 v Wolves.  He had it stitched, came back and almost removed his testicles just blindside of the ref so it looked like a slightly late tackle.  Been waiting years for someone to bully the bull.  You need to cope with it and hand it back if your going to get in and stay in. 

You can’t beat a bit of bully. 

IMG_3225.gif

Edited by Ellafella

Thomo deserves to be in the squad but don't see him getting ahead of Bird Smith or Hourihane but ready to come off the bench if they get over run. His energy & bite is going to be vital in away games .

Edited by Magicman

7 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

He's got an excellent first touch and very quick feet, but seems to fall into the Knight problem of not having a best role. I think his ceiling is higher than Bird, but he has to carve out a rut for himself and I'm not sure where he's gonna get the game time to do that.

I like Thompson very much but 'his ceiling is higher than Bird'?? So that's why Bird has made 139 appearances by the age of 22 and Liam has made 36 by age 21 then. Obviously a number of football professionals such as Cocu, Lampard, Rooney, Rosenior and now Warne disagree with you     

IMO our academy made a mistake with him.

He should've been molded as an attacking midfielder with his undoubted strengths of low gravity, quickness in turn, exceptional close control, and eagerness to win the ball back. There's one half-decent Argentinian who had 3/4 of those skills and he's done okay. Just think of Liam dancing around the thuggish center backs inside the opposite box... 

Now we have a way too small a defensive-minded midfielder who'll never get to the top level because of his size limitation.

Such a terrible waste and I for one am happy that our academy has seen some changes because of this obvious mistake alone.

And yes, he is good enough to play in this division. Maybe not in Warne's team, but some others.

43 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I like Thompson very much but 'his ceiling is higher than Bird'?? So that's why Bird has made 139 appearances by the age of 22 and Liam has made 36 by age 21 then. Obviously a number of football professionals such as Cocu, Lampard, Rooney, Rosenior and now Warne disagree with you     

Agreed. I think Bird has bags of potential - just needs to impose himself on games more and take more chances on his passing. He's technically very, very good. 

Thommo should be modelling himself on Lee Carsley - charge about, win it, give it, get back into position. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Well that... that, is certainly an opinion.

My gut feeling about players is horrendously inaccurate (my friend group don't let me forget that every time I've said a new signing is a donkey, they become a cult hero) so I wouldn't worry too much. Thommo is not even close to the player Bird is right now. I just get the impression there's an incredibly talented player in Thommo.

But I also said Miles Addison would be England captain, and that Giorgios Samaras could be his generations Trezeguet so...

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

IMO our academy made a mistake with him.

He should've been molded as an attacking midfielder with his undoubted strengths of low gravity, quickness in turn, exceptional close control, and eagerness to win the ball back. There's one half-decent Argentinian who had 3/4 of those skills and he's done okay. Just think of Liam dancing around the thuggish center backs inside the opposite box... 

Now we have a way too small a defensive-minded midfielder who'll never get to the top level because of his size limitation.

Such a terrible waste and I for one am happy that our academy has seen some changes because of this obvious mistake alone.

And yes, he is good enough to play in this division. Maybe not in Warne's team, but some others.

I agree in some regards, but you say it like it's too late. If Thompson had those attributes in his locker to beat a man and dance through defences, we'd have seen more goals from him.

If that's in his game, it's not too late to see it. I don't think that is in his game personally but if it is then he's  not ruined is he? It'll come out of him if it's there.

I think he's developing as a fine holding midfielder. His size is not an issue.

Similarly though, I think we're beating a dead horse trying to force Max Bird up the pitch when he quite clearly just need to work on his defensive timing.