Liam Thompson

jono

15 hours ago, richinspain said:

I thought he was MOTM today despite Waghorn's hat-trick.

12 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Best game he’s had in a Derby shirt. Excellent today. Statement performance from him. 

Just hoping the new signings and Bird coming back from injury doesn’t stifle his progress. Obviously he has to earn the right to be in the team but at the minute he’s earned the shirt and needs to know it’s his whilst he’s playing as he is. 

Would say today was right up there with that performance v Fulham in the relegation season.

On 24/08/2023 at 20:42, kevinhectoring said:

his passes often go astray because he’s a step ahead of his teammates. But they go astray a lot. If he settles in and we see fewer mistakes then he could be an important player this year

Yes, he just needs to bed in to the framework so they all understand each other. Sometimes over elaborates and doesn’t release ball soon enough (or too early) but a lot of that is wavelengths as I think you are suggesting. I am very optimistic about Tommo, he has something out of the ordinary and is young enough for it to ripen nicely with the right coaching.

5 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

think we’ll see the old screamer from him He lurks in space on the edge of the box at corners etc - scholes like - looking for scraps and his already shown he’s willing to try his luck from distance. But he’s doing so much good work wide out left that I don’t think we will see a lot of goals from him

I’m not sure he can properly kick the ball, same vein as Jozwiak. His one goal he has scored for us (cup match, can’t remember it was League Cup or EFL Trophy) but it was a shot down the middle with the gk dived away from. 

However, the tenacity, skills and use of a small space are all excellent not to mention work rate.

I just fear not having enough players to offer goals.

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

I’m not sure he can properly kick the ball, same vein as Jozwiak. His one goal he has scored for us (cup match, can’t remember it was League Cup or EFL Trophy) but it was a shot down the middle with the gk dived away from. 

However, the tenacity, skills and use of a small space are all excellent not to mention work rate.

What is this all about? I ignored all the Bris Vegas stuff about it, but 'can't properly kick the ball', what?

5 hours ago, rammieib said:

I’d say six different scorers in five league games is doing ok, no? I read you also said Tommo got lucky with the cross for Waggy’s first. From the reverse angle it looked like it took the meerest of nicks off the defender, that wouldn’t have changed the ball’s trajectory significantly. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

What is this all about? I ignored all the Bris Vegas stuff about it, but 'can't properly kick the ball', what?

poor old Joz. It is true he couldn’t really put his foot through the ball. Had no timing, tried to hit it too hard and scuffed it or dragged it. Festie was similar. Young Dobbin was another one who didnt seem to have a shot on him. But Tommo’s timing when he puts his left foot through the ball is good - he just needs to improve his control. He had a great volley from inside the box couple of games ago and a good shot from outside the box against Fleetwood which was (maybe high but) tipped over. Don’t think he’ll score many but he’ll contribute from range I reckon

7 hours ago, rammieib said:

Hit a good shot last week. Has really surprised me this season. He seems so much more positive in his play. First instinct is always forwards lately. Felt the opposite last season.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

poor old Joz. It is true he couldn’t really put his foot through the ball. Had no timing, tried to hit it too hard and scuffed it or dragged it. Festie was similar. Young Dobbin was another one who didnt seem to have a shot on him. But Tommo’s timing when he puts his left foot through the ball is good - he just needs to improve his control. He had a great volley from inside the box couple of games ago and a good shot from outside the box against Fleetwood which was (maybe high but) tipped over. Don’t think he’ll score many but he’ll contribute from range I reckon

All the more impressive that he's actually right footed. However, he's one of only 2 players I can recall who is willing to take freekicks and corners with either foot.

23 hours ago, InstaRam said:

This is the Tommo we have waited for, keep it up lad! Warne must see what he brings to the team now I hope.

This was the Tommo I could see last year who, to me stood out anyway because he seemed to be the only one who wanted to play the ball forwards, while everyone else was locked into sideways and backwards and to the opposition. H rarely wasted the ball either. Part of his problem was that he kept being given bit-part appearances, and as with sooooo many other Derby players of potential needed a run to settle into the team, but never got it. While we were crying out for someone who could do what he does, we sent him out on loan. He may well have benefitted from the loan, but we should have loaned him to ourselves - who knows he may have been the difference between Warne succeeding or failing last season. 

9 hours ago, rammieib said:

I do know what you mean, but lots of this is self belief and confidence. If we can get a couple more wins on the bounce the. I think this team can move up a level 

13 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

This was the Tommo I could see last year who, to me stood out anyway because he seemed to be the only one who wanted to play the ball forwards, while everyone else was locked into sideways and backwards and to the opposition. H rarely wasted the ball either. Part of his problem was that he kept being given bit-part appearances, and as with sooooo many other Derby players of potential needed a run to settle into the team, but never got it. While we were crying out for someone who could do what he does, we sent him out on loan. He may well have benefitted from the loan, but we should have loaned him to ourselves - who knows he may have been the difference between Warne succeeding or failing last season. 

I think Warne was a bit over awed when he arrived. he needed “tried and tested” to bed himself in.I think he recognised Tommo’s abilities but was too risk averse. In a sense the Bird injury has made him do what he probably wanted to do but didn’t dare ? Just one to chew over I think.

16 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Actually he did the opposite last season and before. He played too much back and sideways, made our play slow and predictable, most likely because of his age he didn't want to take risks, which is understandable, but I think Warne has had a word with him as this season he seems to be on the front foot and taking more of a gamble in going forward 

Looking like a natural replacement for Knight with his non-stop energy. I think the better performances since the injuries that saw Tommo come in, seem to show that a MF 3 of Smith, Bird and Hourihane doesn't have the speed/urgency necessary for this League. When everybody is fit, for me, Tommo would stay in. Bird would either be on the bench or replace Smith. Hourihane is probably safe as he's the skipper.

I like Bird. He's class. I remember last season. 20 odd games unbeaten and Bird was central to that run. He got injured and we went off the boil. 

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

Looking like a natural replacement for Knight with his non-stop energy. I think the better performances since the injuries that saw Tommo come in, seem to show that a MF 3 of Smith, Bird and Hourihane doesn't have the speed/urgency necessary for this League. When everybody is fit, for me, Tommo would stay in. Bird would either be on the bench or replace Smith. Hourihane is probably safe as he's the skipper.

I like Bird. He's class. I remember last season. 20 odd games unbeaten and Bird was central to that run. He got injured and we went off the boil. 

Don't forget we have signed Fornah who is going to play. Otherwise I agree with you

22 hours ago, DiggerB said:

I’d say six different scorers in five league games is doing ok, no? I read you also said Tommo got lucky with the cross for Waggy’s first. From the reverse angle it looked like it took the meerest of nicks off the defender, that wouldn’t have changed the ball’s trajectory significantly. 

It did, it deceived the defender and gave Waghorn space. 

18 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Really, I saw exactly the opposite. A nice turn then a check back and a safe pass. 

Even for the first goal, he checked back but crossed when Fozzy laid it him back. I hope he can continue to be more positive and take people on around and in the box.

Edited by sage

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Yes I think when fit our best midfield is Tommo Bird and Hourihane for me Smith has looked ok at Right back but midfield to lightweight and to safe with his passing.

6 hours ago, sage said:

Really, I saw exactly the opposite. A nice turn then a check back and a safe pass. 

Even for the first goal, he checked back but crossed when Fozzy laid it him back. I hope he can continue to be more positive and take people on around and in the box.

Actually I have to agree with you. I was thinking of Tommo when he first appeared, which I thought was last season. It was actually before then, and apart form the travesty of the FA Cup match against Chorley when we were forced to filed a team of babies, he made his 1st team mark under Rooney. But then he came under the Rosenior way of doing things which did involve playing it safe in order to keep the ball, instead of tying to attack and risk losing it, hence you remember his sideways passing last year. Sad that it took him so long to get over it.

Tommo has shown he’s capable of raising his game it will now come down to consistency with him 

What he does give the midfield now is more legs and energy and he stays in with Hourihane alongside Fornah if Smiths game level drops off 

I like Bird but if the right offer was made I’d take it as long as a big chunk of it could be reinvested back into the team