Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

14 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Happy if he stays as he’s a very useful player and he sounds positive about our future, which is a good sign. But also understand if he wanted to move on. 

Unfortunately I don’t think we’d get what we’d hope for him, £2.5m looks optimistic in the current market, sadly.

It should be 10 times that to freaking low.

£2.5m is the most we can expect for Knight in the current conditions. Its a fair chunk of money to use at this level. There is an argument that we could keep Knight and get promotion to get him to sign a new contract. But the player has to want to do it. I think he will want to go. If he does...id take £2m tbh and move on. 

1 hour ago, DazzaRam said:

£2.5m is the most we can expect for Knight in the current conditions. Its a fair chunk of money to use at this level. There is an argument that we could keep Knight and get promotion to get him to sign a new contract. But the player has to want to do it. I think he will want to go. If he does...id take £2m tbh and move on. 

Absolutely no guarantee that our owner would be wanting to spend any incoming transfer fees on other transfers as we will no doubt have ongoing running costs to finance.

2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

2.5 million and I'd be very suprised and not too disappointed.

Let's imagine for a second that we put a price of 15 million on Jason Knight, which club do you think would sign him and who would he replace in that team?

There's a reason he is linked with Bristol City and Ipswich Town, rather than premier league clubs.

3 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

2.5 million and I'd be very suprised and not too disappointed.

Let's imagine for a second that we put a price of 15 million on Jason Knight, which club do you think would sign him and who would he replace in that team?

There's a reason he is linked with Bristol City and Ipswich Town, rather than premier league clubs.

And stoke city and a bidding war it could soon rise to that level.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Stoke haven't got an FFP pot to pee in mate.  They've cashed in all their chips and cheated with an Ace up the sleeve to the tune of about 70 million without punishment.    

If I am right I think they still get money from being relegated from premiership I could be wrong on that front but i am sure plenty of clubs waiting to come in for him.

12 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

If I am right I think they still get money from being relegated from premiership I could be wrong on that front but i am sure plenty of clubs waiting to come in for him.

That's long gone I'm afraid mate.  Spent in year 1 on 10 million fees for Afobe, Ince, Wood and the like.

7 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Why

We sold good players on for peanuts mate and frankly we need make money off them.

Because your expectations are repeatedly unrealistic when it comes to the fee we’re going to get. 
There is nothing to suggest we will get  the sort of money you claim for Knight, you’ve said £10 million…. None of the clubs currently rumoured to want Knight will be able to spend that much money on one player. 
Your last comment was “10 times that amount” when someone said £2.5m, that’s £25 million…. There’s no way we’d ever get that and Knight definitely isn’t a £25m pound player at this point.

If there’s a bidding war then perhaps the rumoured £2-2.5m becomes more like £3-4m, maybe even £5m if something crazy happens. But there is pretty much zero probability of any club paying £10m for a player with one year left on his contract at a league one club unless that player is a rare rare talent. And as good as Knight is/could be, he isn’t going for £10m this window. 

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Because your expectations are repeatedly unrealistic when it comes to the fee we’re going to get. 
There is nothing to suggest we will get  the sort of money you claim for Knight, you’ve said £10 million…. None of the clubs currently rumoured to want Knight will be able to spend that much money on one player. 
Your last comment was “10 times that amount” when someone said £2.5m, that’s £25 million…. There’s no way we’d ever get that and Knight definitely isn’t a £25m pound player at this point.

If there’s a bidding war then perhaps the rumoured £2-2.5m becomes more like £3-4m, maybe even £5m if something crazy happens. But there is pretty much zero probability of any club paying £10m for a player with one year left on his contract at a league one club unless that player is a rare rare talent. And as good as Knight is/could be, he isn’t going for £10m this window. 

And if he is going expect we would rather he went sooner than later so that it is not unsettling for pre-season and PW knows who he has and what he can spend. So another reason no "bidding war" likely to get inflated price.

Just have to hope @B4ev6is that we get a decent sell-on later when he realises your faith in him and makes a big money move under better circumstances. Think Ipswich is a good match for him currently and would rather he went there than other rumoured interested parties

15 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Sorry but that’s a bit ridiculous. £25M for a L1 midfielder.  Currently Man Utd are bidding between £50M to £60M for Mason Mount.  This a player who’s played over 100 games for Chelsea in the PL and CL and over 30 games for England including in a World Cup.  He’s won the CL and been in teams in and around the top 4 in the PL.  He has a pretty good goals output too, both scoring and creating.  Yet you seem to think Jason Knight is worth half what Mason Mount is!!

I'm afraid that there is zero chance of anything even remotely like the numbers that you are quoting/wishing for B4.

Can he play at a higher level ? yes. Are multiple clubs chasing his signature ? Possibly, but that will just add a few hundred thousand to the price, not 10 million. Fundamentally, at the moment he is just a good hard working league 1 midfielder in the last year of his contract. There is a natural limit to what teams will pay in that situation and the fees being offered are not far of the mark.

We may not be desperate to sell these days but we DO need to get money for him if he moves on. We just can't let his contract run down and see him walk away. If Warne wants him and has a role and he's prepared to sign then fine but otherwise we have to secure what people are prepared to pay, and the rumoured offers that we are seeing are reflecting that value.

Like any commodity where the buyer has a choice as to whether to buy or not, it is worth what people are prepared to pay for it, and teams are just not prepared to shell out that much for a player like Knight in his current contractual situation.

Can you imagine what kind of a season Knight (or anyone) would have to have had in League One for someone to pay £10m for him?

Different story perhaps if he was 17 and everyone could see a player's potential with his whole career stretching out in front of him, but by now the football world (or this country at any rate) has an idea what he's about, and the likely ceiling on how far he can go.

I'm thinking the mark(s) of a League One box-to-box midfielder* who goes for £10 million are things like:

10 goals minimum and maybe 15-20ish goal involvements overall (goals + assists)

Noted high quality short- and long-range passing, and excellent tackling (with stats to back up all of it)

Evidence of quick footballing brain (use of the ball and how to play situations with/without it)

Player appears to be the driving force of the team (i.e. team appears to have been built around him)

Definite inclusion in PFA Team of the Season! (certainly ahead of Hourihane)

This might be oversimplifying things a bit but, seriously, wouldn't you expect a £10m League One midfielder to have done that... even at today's inflated prices?

*I realise he didn't play all games in midfield, and was injured for a while, and wasn't always a starter when fit again

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Sorry but that’s a bit ridiculous. £25M for a L1 midfielder.  Currently Man Utd are bidding between £50M to £60M for Mason Mount.  This a player who’s played over 100 games for Chelsea in the PL and CL and over 30 games for England including in a World Cup.  He’s won the CL and been in teams in and around the top 4 in the PL.  He has a pretty good goals output too, both scoring and creating.  Yet you seem to think Jason Knight is worth half what Mason Mount is!!

He might think Mason Mount is overvalued.

Millie Bobby Brown Reaction GIF by Converse

Knight’s skills are largely in the ugly, practical side of the game.

He rats and harries, covers for teammates, runs into areas which create space for others, wins cheap free kicks.

As a RWB, I thought he did a pretty good job. He was certainly a help to NML.

In midfield he had to do a lot of the grunt work for the less mobile Hourihane and Bird. Little wonder he didn’t create much.

I’d say if Knight goes (and that looks increasingly likely), we need two CM players in, one attacking and one as a grafter.

Bird can act as pivot and I see Hourihane as an impact sub or fill-in for Bird.

We definitely need more impact/momentum from midfield because we’re at our best when playing with tempo.

Edited by Anag Ram
Typo