Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

On 20/06/2023 at 16:14, Millenniumram said:

1.5m is laughable for Knight. Given his international and Championship experience I would want more like 4m. I hope we’re pushing Bristol hard.

what are the relative fees for midfielders in this division?

anyone got any comparisons?

we can all throw around 4m but i dont think thats ever going to be in the case in this league unless you are talking about really top goalscorers

4 minutes ago, alram said:

we can all throw around 4m but i dont think thats ever going to be in the case in this league unless you are talking about really top goalscorers

Should imagine it varies according to a players abilities,experience and length of contract.Personally,I'd be delighted ,if he has to go,if we could get £2m for him.That fee plus a saving on his wages would equate to £2.5m

6 hours ago, Macintosh said:

Contracts due to end 2024: Knight, Bielek, Bird, Sibley, Cashin, Barkhuisen, Mendez-Laing, Thompson, Hourihane, Smith, Wildsmith, Collins, Odurah, Rooney and Forsyth. That's 15 of the present squad.

Yeah but it's fine, Loach extended.

19 minutes ago, alram said:

These are supposedly the record transfers for league one;

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transferrekorde/wettbewerb/GB3/plus/1/galerie/0?saison_id=alle&land_id=alle&ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&altersklasse=alle&leihe=&w_s=&zuab=0

They’re all in euros on that site, most of them are attacking players and some midfielders or defenders. With the highest being 9.5m for 19 year old Fabian Delph leaving Leeds for Villa in 2009/10. 18 year old Nick Powell was 7.5m when he left Crewe for Manure in 2012/13. 18 year old Dele Alli cost Spurs 6.63m when he left MK Dons in 2014/15. 22 year old Massimo Luongo was 4.28m when he left Swindon for QPR in 2015/16.

A more recent example would be 22 year old Scott Twine leaving MK Dons for Burnley, allegedly 2.9m in 2022/23. That was on the back of an impressive goal scoring season.
Clearly there are examples of players going for large fees, but I don’t think the market reflects those high fees so much anymore. Plus Knight only has a year to run on his deal. It’s hard to say exactly what the club wants and what the club would get.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

9 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Should imagine it varies according to a players abilities,experience and length of contract.Personally,I'd be delighted ,if he has to go,if we could get £2m for him.That fee plus a saving on his wages would equate to £2.5m

Cameron Brannagan at Oxford is regarded has one of if not the best midfield player in the division the past few seasons. 

Beginning of last season Blackpool triggered a 1.5m buy out clause he though decided to remain at Oxford. 

He has played apart from 3 appearances for Liverpool played 200 games at this level,he is not a  international and transfer market has his current value at 500k.

Jason has played more at a higher level is a current international and appears to be in demand so a fee up to or above 1.5 should be achievable if we want to sell. 

10 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

3 clubs allegedly in for him now, Bristol City, Stoke and Ipswich. Knight’s comments in the post match interview @Animal is a Ram shared are interesting, shows he’s as receptive to staying here and being part of the project moving forward as he might be to a transfer. 

Has he actually seen what Stoke is like???

10 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

3 clubs allegedly in for him now, Bristol City, Stoke and Ipswich. Knight’s comments in the post match interview @Animal is a Ram shared are interesting, shows he’s as receptive to staying here and being part of the project moving forward as he might be to a transfer. 

FWIW I wouldn’t give too much credence to what he said. He would be a fool to say anything else than that he is receptive to staying even if he has already made up his mind to go.  I would be surprised if he is with us next season. Good luck to him. 

6 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m not lost in anything. You misquoted the player.
Just because you believe something happened doesn’t mean you can misquote the player?! 
You said, and I quote;

“(btw I’d guess we agreed with him in Jan that we’d release him if we didn't go up. He went public with that line anyway …)”

Which is wrong. Jason Knight did not go public with the line that we would release him if we didn’t go up. 

I’m not disputing your belief or suspicion that there’s some sort of agreement between the club and Knight that we would sell him this summer, there could well be, and I’ve said a few times on different posts that I think it’s potentially in the club’s best interest financially to drive the price up and cash in on Knight if we can’t convince him to stay.

I agree with you that making him stay for the additional year IF he wants to go would be the wrong thing to do…it’s just not something that is evidenced anywhere in what Knight or the club has said publicly, either in January or in his post match interview last night.
So by all means believe that’s what was discussed, you may well be correct, but don’t say the player said something they didn’t….that’s all. 

semantics, literalism, angels dancing… it doesn’t matter what you’re not lost in.  

Engage with the substance: players, managers and clubs frequently do not say exactly what they mean so applying principles of legal interpretation to their interviews is not a good starting point. Here’s the substance of what I’ve said: Knight was allowed to say what he did on his pre recorded Radio Derby interview because the club had accepted he would leave if we were not promoted. You seem already to have agreed with that but still you want to go at me for misrepresenting him 

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

semantics, literalism, angels dancing… it doesn’t matter what you’re not lost in.  

Engage with the substance: players, managers and clubs frequently do not say exactly what they mean so applying principles of legal interpretation to their interviews is not a good starting point. Here’s the substance of what I’ve said: Knight was allowed to say what he did on his pre recorded Radio Derby interview because the club had accepted he would leave if we were not promoted. You seem already to have agreed with that but still you want to go at me for misrepresenting him 

I’m not having a go at anyone, nor am I talking about substance or legal interpretation. I’m presenting the facts of what was said versus what you claim was said. You said Jason Knight said something he did not, and has not, at any point publicly. You tried to reshape that as being something that was alluded to, it wasn’t. Nothing it what Knight has said in an interview (whether scripted or guided by the club or whatever) is what you say he said. That’s the only point I’m debating here. 
How difficult is it for you to say what your own thoughts and opinions are AND acknowledge it wasn’t what Knight actually said? 
You believe a certain scenario played out, it’s not the most far fetched scenario in the world, fair enough but Jason Knight did not say the club agreed to let him leave this summer if we failed to gain promotion to the championship, that is a fact. 

Knight can't go to Bristol City so good job there are other offers.  After 2 solid years of whinging about us cheating and balance sheet bothering, there will be huge protests demanding this move is sanctioned due to us not paying 100% of tax when coming out of administration. Any money they give us will be going on players we shouldn't be buying.  Can't wait to see them kill this move off.  

Anyone...Anyone ???

6f97e4fe-d1c8-400d-b4ab-cb2fa8e79e19_tex

Appears I was wrong. Hypocritical shithouses

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

21 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m not having a go at anyone, nor am I talking about substance or legal interpretation. I’m presenting the facts of what was said versus what you claim was said. You said Jason Knight said something he did not, and has not, at any point publicly. You tried to reshape that as being something that was alluded to, it wasn’t. Nothing it what Knight has said in an interview (whether scripted or guided by the club or whatever) is what you say he said. That’s the only point I’m debating here. 
How difficult is it for you to say what your own thoughts and opinions are AND acknowledge it wasn’t what Knight actually said? 
You believe a certain scenario played out, it’s not the most far fetched scenario in the world, fair enough but Jason Knight did not say the club agreed to let him leave this summer if we failed to gain promotion to the championship, that is a fact. 

ok we’re interpreting these statements in a very different way, let’s leave it there. 🍻 

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

ok we’re interpreting these statements in a very different way, let’s leave it there. 🍻 

I’m not talking about interpreting anything. 

You said Jason Knight went public with the line that the club would let him leave if we failed to be promoted. He didn’t. There’s no interpreting that one way or another as HE DID NOT SAY IT.

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Your patience is admirable 🤣

I’ll match him for patience. I read through your entire post (it was a lengthy one even by your hefty standards) where you predicted that Sibley might replace McGoldrick as our goalscorer in chief. All of it. And I didn’t once fall off my chair laughing. (Nor did I laugh when you weightily predicted that Clowes would sell some of his shares in the club within weeks of purchase.) I could go on. Keep them coming; and, please, more semi colons.