Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

16 hours ago, JJH said:

Apparently two Championship clubs are set to match our offer, so we’ll see. Depends who they are I suppose but Knight’s been training at our training ground all week so he’ll be familiar with what we have to offer.

My source is a bloke on our forum who’s nailed absolutely everything this summer. No idea who he is but he’s literally calling everything right. Understand why you’d dismiss it but honestly if he’s said it, it’ll be correct.

I’d be seriously excited if we manage to get Knight in. I had a look at your squad the other week and I was thinking I’d love us to be in for Roberts, Knights and Cashin this summer. Didn’t think we’d get 1, let alone potentially 2.

Anyway, might not happen but just wanted to gauge a consensus on whether that bid will be enough. As it’s our first bid I imagine it’ll be rejected anyway.

I have no reason to doubt your source but this strikes me as a little odd if true. Why would a player train at another clubs training centre unless it’s pretty much a done deal? I can understand being shown around but actually training there seems a little premature. If a deal has been done then surely they’d announce. It it’s not, then it would be a tad awkward if it fell through and he ended up staying at Derby.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I have no reason to doubt your source but this strikes me as a little odd if true. Why would a player train at another clubs training centre unless it’s pretty much a done deal? I can understand being shown around but actually training there seems a little premature. If a deal has been done then surely they’d announce. It it’s not, then it would be a tad awkward if it fell through and he ended up staying at Derby.

The Ireland national team have been using Bristol’s training ground as a base…. I had similar concerns so did a quick google last night. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

3 hours ago, SuffolkRam said:

I thought Bristol were skint/close to skint.  Is this spree there final pooh or bust attempt at getting into the Prem?

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

And yet here they are, spending money on two centre backs, signing another on a free transfer and rumoured to be bidding for Knight 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Just offered a potential explanation, I don’t know the ins and outs of their accounts. Their owner is a billionaire so perhaps he’s found a way to get them out of the hole they were in. 

Also they’ve moved on some high earners haven’t they? Perhaps with those wages off the bill and the way costs and ffp are looked at over a three year period perhaps they’re in an alright spot after all.

36 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Think people are forgetting Bristol sold Semenyo for 10 million in the last few days of the Jan window.

1 We’ve been badly overspending, largely due to Lansdown delegating too much to Mark Ashton (now spending the owners money at Ipswich instead.)

2 Lansdown is worth £1bn+ so basically can afford to underwrite massive losses, but of course is constrained by FFP.

3 We are releasing many players on big money as they go OOC, or re-signing them on much reduced contracts. Replacements are being signed within a much lower budget and to reduce any resentment between players on very different wages.

4 Semenyo sold for £10m to Bournemouth. We’ll possibly sell Alex Scott for say £25m, but recruiting to date doesn’t seem to require that.

5 Nigel Pearson is getting a lot of credit for this. Outsiders look at our league position and can’t understand why he remains so popular, but the financial turnaround is at the heart of it.

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I really do think plenty on here seriously under value Knight 

He's an extremely solid Championship player, as well as being an extremely solid League One player. I don't think we are under valuing him - it's just that what we need out of a player at this level is something that he doesn't offer. If selling Knight allows us to bring in someone who can produce goals and assists then we will be much better for it. Korey Smith can do what Knight does at this level. 

He's a solid replacement for Alex Scott for Bristol as he's another player who doesn't really offer much in terms of goals or creativity but knits things together. Scott is a lot better technically, no doubt, Knight is a lot better athletically, no doubt. It makes sense for Bristol to have Knight lined up as a replacement. 

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

A player to run around not score, or create much, Knight is definitely better (obviously) but their output at this level isn't incomparable.

It's not like comparing Collins to McGoldrick. 

They can't remotely do the same thing though. Stats aren't everything. Knight makes a much better contribution to the team than Smith ever could or would. I get what you're saying about him being replaceable in this league, and he is, but we haven't got that player in house.

21 minutes ago, Srg said:

They can't remotely do the same thing though. Stats aren't everything. Knight makes a much better contribution to the team than Smith ever could or would. I get what you're saying about him being replaceable in this league, and he is, but we haven't got that player in house.

Lewis Wing on a free would be an ideal replacement for Knight, obviously he might get a lot of interest from Championship clubs though so not sure how realistic that is. 

5 hours ago, YouRams said:

Never really got the hype around him but he's a solid championship midfielder, will run all day for you and rarely gets injured. He's no Craig Bryson though.

Realistically Bryson only had 1 amazing season. Before that, Clough would moan that he didn’t get anywhere near enough goals for his performances. 

Then his seasons after the PO year were average and injury hit. Knight is the same standard for me but yet to have his year.

2 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Think people are forgetting Bristol sold Semenyo for 10 million in the last few days of the Jan window.

Interestingly ‘Semenyo!’ Is what I heard Trampie screaming in ecstasy when in the throws of rapture with the unemployed astronaut.

When I asked him about it, he said he’d started doing it as she’d once complained she hadn’t known he was going to finish and he nearly had her eye out.

35 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Pretty sure he doesn't want to play under Warne again, said he wasn't keen on his style of play.

That’s not what he said. He said; 

Rotherham boss Paul Warne did his utmost to tempt Wing but the 26-year-old says his sights were always set elsewhere.

“He was trying to get me back all the way through the summer,” the player said. “I enjoyed my time there. It served its purpose but I didn’t really want to go back. I did my time there.

“Paul texted me quite a lot and I have got a good relationship with him.

“When I signed here (Wednesday), I got a text from Paul and the coaching staff wishing me the best and that was nice on their behalf.

“He left me a voice message as well saying: ‘Make sure you don’t score against us!’”

As well as a few comments explaining how he wanted to go to the Wendies due to their squad and challenging for promotion, quotes taken from the following;

https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/rotherham-united/view,loan-star-lewis-wing-liked-rotherham-united-but-admits-on-eve-of-nys-return_39407.htm

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

8 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s not what he said. He said; 

Rotherham boss Paul Warne did his utmost to tempt Wing but the 26-year-old says his sights were always set elsewhere.

“He was trying to get me back all the way through the summer,” the player said. “I enjoyed my time there. It served its purpose but I didn’t really want to go back. I did my time there.

“Paul texted me quite a lot and I have got a good relationship with him.

“When I signed here (Wednesday), I got a text from Paul and the coaching staff wishing me the best and that was nice on their behalf.

“He left me a voice message as well saying: ‘Make sure you don’t score against us!’”

As well as a few comments explaining how he wanted to go to the Wendies due to their squad and challenging for promotion, quotes taken from the following;

https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/rotherham-united/view,loan-star-lewis-wing-liked-rotherham-united-but-admits-on-eve-of-nys-return_39407.htm

What have I told you about this!!!

15 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Interestingly ‘Semenyo!’ Is what I heard Trampie screaming in ecstasy when in the throws of rapture with the unemployed astronaut.

When I asked him about it, he said he’d started doing it as she’d once complained she hadn’t known he was going to finish and he nearly had her eye out.

Are you sure it wasn't her screaming Semenyo?  

I only ask as its swahili for 'wrong hole'.

12 hours ago, JJH said:

Smug about what, exactly? I don’t think he’ll sign, certainly not at that price. 

I don’t post on OTIB and haven’t for about 10 years, but I just picked a few pages at random to go through and I can’t see anybody pleading for your liquidation.

Stick with it.