Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

2 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

Cashing in before he's out of contract next year seems the obvious thing to do. Shame Burnley had to get all forward thinking, the used to love overpaying for our players. A nice bidding war for Knight funds an entire new midfield and a striker.

Player of the division in Vydra and Hendrick who had a storming Euro 16 and made team of the tournament for 21 million.  Then they got 3 million back for a knackered Shackell.  

I think they had our pants down.

So far this international term, he's played on the left of a front 3, the number 10 role as a substitute, and now as a right wing back. 

His versatility will be his undoing, if he's not careful.

9 minutes ago, Rev said:

So far this international term, he's played on the left of a front 3, the number 10 role as a substitute, and now as a right wing back. 

His versatility will be his undoing, if he's not careful.

Problem he has is his energy is limitless. So he does so much of the dirty work, and when teams like to press he’s ideal. The downside is he can’t beat a man for pace, doesn’t have a trick or even the drop of a shoulder. So he will always struggle in those advanced positions. He’s best as a box to box midfielder but there’s only so many teams that play with that type of player these days. I sense a permanent switch to wing back maybe the best spot for him to use that engine and aggression he has at both ends of the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

I sense a permanent switch to wing back maybe the best spot for him to use that engine and aggression he has at both ends of the pitch. 

Agreed. 

From the evidence of the early part of the season, it may be the position that unlocks the best of him, even when it comes to goal contributions.

37 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Screenshot_20230619_214103_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e902f2b979f1d5a6cd9fa54bdd49e8fb.jpg

His 4th in a year and one of those v France.  I'm reliably told he's pants however, as he doesn't get 10 goals a year -although he did average this in his first 18 months at a much better level.  Accordingly, we really should take 1.5 million and invest in some  dross that will be miles better I'm sure. 

18 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

His 4th in a year and one of those v France.  I'm reliably told he's pants however, as he doesn't get 10 goals a year -although he did average this in his first 18 months at a much better level.  Accordingly, we really should take 1.5 million and invest in some  dross that will be miles better I'm sure. 

Think the 1.5 comes from fans being realistic. Who’s going to pay through the nose for a L1 player who’s out of contract in a season?

Assuming Knight wants out then it serves Derby no purpose to keep him here so unfortunately we hold none of the cards.

28 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Think the 1.5 comes from fans being realistic. Who’s going to pay through the nose for a L1 player who’s out of contract in a season?

Assuming Knight wants out then it serves Derby no purpose to keep him here so unfortunately we hold none of the cards.

He has a year on his contract.  Dale Stephens was the subject of 4 million bids in his last year at Brighton .  He was told he was staying put, he captained them to promotion and stayed their for years.  Time we stopped doing this.  As he has a contract here we hold many a card.  I wouldn't put Knight in the same Bracket as our wandering World Cup want away so I wouldn't expect the same issues.  Think he'd stay and do a good job if he was free to negotiate a contract elsewhere in January if we're doing crap.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I've never seen anyone on here say he's pants.  Some folk just don't get carried away by someone who is man of the match in a Republic of Ireland Vs Gibraltar match.  Two poor international sides to put it mildly.

Edited by Blondest Goat

Just now, Blondest Goat said:

Need to put things into context here.  Man of the match in ROI Vs Gibraltar.  Have you seen who else was on the pitch?  

I've never seen anyone on here say he's pants.  Some folk just don't get carried away by someone who is man of the match in a Republic of Ireland Vs Gibraltar match.  Two poor international sides to put it mildly.

And France and the Ukraine in the last year.  A better standard than Gibraltar.  Players in the team tonight were all premier league players bar one from the SPL and a couple from Norwich and Stoke.   Opposition is irrelevant, he was better than all of them and playing wingback as well. 

7 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Not just a league 1 player though, surely you also have to go by International player too. 

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He has a year on his contract.  Dale Stephens was the subject of 4 million bids in his last year at Brighton .  He was told he was staying put, he captained them to promotion and stayed their for years.  Time we stopped doing this.  As he has a contract here we hold many a card.  I wouldn't put Knight in the same Bracket as our wandering World Cup want away so I wouldn't expect the same issues.  Think he'd stay and do a good job if he was free to negotiate a contract elsewhere in January if we're doing crap.

Fair enough if that’s how you see it. I don’t disagree in principle, but from Warne’s comments he won’t want anybody in the squad who isn’t fully committed. 

Plus is 1.5 better than 0? I mean we could go up and he still walks away. All if, buts and maybes. But as much as I like Knight I just can’t see him here come kick off.

13 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Fair enough if that’s how you see it. I don’t disagree in principle, but from Warne’s comments he won’t want anybody in the squad who isn’t fully committed. 

Plus is 1.5 better than 0? I mean we could go up and he still walks away. All if, buts and maybes. But as much as I like Knight I just can’t see him here come kick off.

If Knight leaves at the end of his contract we would still receive £1.5m - in my opinion, if not more. 

I’m just not sure the club wouldn’t rather use the funds this season rather than wait on a tribunal - depends on a number of factors I guess. How much is Knight going to help us towards our goal next season and would he be better used for other assets than himself?

Edited by Ambitious