Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

Just now, CBRammette said:

The restrictions are paying small fees appears to have been lifted so can we also now sign players on longer deals if we wanted to? 

Correct, but they’d obviously need to want to, too. Which I can’t imagine Knight would in case we didn’t get promoted. 

I know it's likely we'll lose him but I'd genuinely be sad to see him go. I'd rather lose Sibs than Knighty. He's 1 of the only players that you know week in and week out will put in a shift and give us an option pretty much everywhere on the pitch. He might not score as many goals or have the tricks of some, but he does all that dirty work to allow the technical players to work their magic. 

He will be a big loss imo. But I guess my sentiment is down to him being 1 of a few here that deserve to see good times with us after all the drama of the last couple years. Proper good kid and an absolute credit to himself, his family, us as a club and what we stand for.

If he does go, he will be a great model employee for any football club. Never complains, just does what he's told for the team, and always does it 100%. 

❤️🐏

1 hour ago, SK47 said:

I know it's likely we'll lose him but I'd genuinely be sad to see him go. I'd rather lose Sibs than Knighty. He's 1 of the only players that you know week in and week out will put in a shift and give us an option pretty much everywhere on the pitch. He might not score as many goals or have the tricks of some, but he does all that dirty work to allow the technical players to work their magic. 

He will be a big loss imo. But I guess my sentiment is down to him being 1 of a few here that deserve to see good times with us after all the drama of the last couple years. Proper good kid and an absolute credit to himself, his family, us as a club and what we stand for.

If he does go, he will be a great model employee for any football club. Never complains, just does what he's told for the team, and always does it 100%. 

❤️🐏

Yes well put. Would love him to stay especially if the Ireland manager now has decided he wants him at wing back!!  Hope we're really fighting to keep him but think he wants higher level and when you think of how others behaved at our lowest point would wish him well in that. 

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

If Knight leaves at the end of his contract we would still receive £1.5m - in my opinion, if not more. 

I’m just not sure the club wouldn’t rather use the funds this season rather than wait on a tribunal - depends on a number of factors I guess. How much is Knight going to help us towards our goal next season and would he be better used for other assets than himself?

Are you assuming here that he won’t be picked up by a non UK club? They wouldn’t have to pay near as much as a UK club would they? 

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

If Knight leaves at the end of his contract we would still receive £1.5m - in my opinion, if not more. 

I’m just not sure the club wouldn’t rather use the funds this season rather than wait on a tribunal - depends on a number of factors I guess. How much is Knight going to help us towards our goal next season and would he be better used for other assets than himself?

What’s this based on Ambitious? The fees agreed for players moving within the UK by tribunal are varied and inconsistent. The fee determined by tribunal that Liverpool had to pay Fulham for Harvey Elliot was something like £1.6million with a couple of million in add ons. 
There’s no guarantee we’d get an equivalent amount for Knight. I’m not saying we wouldn’t either. Just that the tribunal process seems inconsistent and the club is then leaving it to chance what kind of compensation they’d receive whereas selling him this summer at least gives the club some negotiating power.

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Are you assuming here that he won’t be picked up by a non UK club? They wouldn’t have to pay near as much as a UK club would they? 

That would be a concern, but I’d be willing to roll the dice. It’s very much a gamble though. The club need to take that into account when considering their position this summer.

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

The problem with this line of thought is we can’t get 2016 Derby County to buy 2023 Derby County’s players

Yeah, the market is very different at league one and championship level. The premier league teams are still throwing silly money around but Covid seems to have impacted clubs lower down the leagues.

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What’s this based on Ambitious? The fees agreed for players moving within the UK by tribunal are varied and inconsistent. The fee determined by tribunal that Liverpool had to pay Fulham for Harvey Elliot was something like £1.6million with a couple of million in add ons. 
There’s no guarantee we’d get an equivalent amount for Knight. I’m not saying we wouldn’t either. Just that the tribunal process seems inconsistent and the club is then leaving it to chance what kind of compensation they’d receive whereas selling him this summer at least gives the club some negotiating power.

There is a number of factors outlined by the regulator which puts us in a strong position, includes -

number of first team appearances - will be over 200 this time next year, mostly at championship level which plays a part.

number of international appearances - will be over 20 this time next year.

value of current contract and value of next contract and status of club - will be roughly £10k now and likely to be £20k upwards next time to a championship/premier league side. If we were able to get promoted it would put us in a stronger position. 

Knight is a little bit of a unicorn, because I can’t think of one player under the same conditions who has moved under the tribunal - we have a very solid ground for a good fee. Steve Davies moved for decent money to us from Tranmere all those years ago without anywhere near that body of work. It would be interesting to see if there has been any comparisons but there’s no reason they can give that wouldn’t make it one of the biggest tribunal fees ever in English football.

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

There is a number of factors outlined by the regulator which puts us in a strong position, includes -

number of first team appearances - will be over 200 this time next year, mostly at championship level which plays a part.

number of international appearances - will be over 20 this time next year.

value of current contract and value of next contract and status of club - will be roughly £10k now and likely to be £20k upwards next time to a championship/premier league side. If we were able to get promoted it would put us in a stronger position. 

Knight is a little bit of a unicorn, because I can’t think of one player under the same conditions who has moved under the tribunal - we have a very solid ground for a good fee. Steve Davies moved for decent money to us from Tranmere all those years ago without anywhere near that body of work. It would be interesting to see if there has been any comparisons but there’s no reason they can give that wouldn’t make it one of the biggest tribunal fees ever in English football.

All very valid points. Interesting times ahead.