League 1 - 23/24 Season

Srg

20 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66174548

Reading transfer embargo lifted.

Not that I particularly wish Reading to go through what we did, but it really does seem like reading are being given every helping hand possible by the EFL. At some point I guess they would learn from the mistakes they made with us, and would be a bit more helpful, but it grates that they had to make all their mistakes with us first. 

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Not that I particularly wish Reading to go through what we did, but it really does seem like reading are being given every helping hand possible by the EFL. At some point I guess they would learn from the mistakes they made with us, and would be a bit more helpful, but it grates that they had to make all their mistakes with us first. 

Still waiting for the charges for not paying the players on three separate occasions.

Hmmmmmmmmm

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, I have nothing to say said:

Bit disappointed in this, would have quite liked him here, that said midfield is pretty strong already.

20 years old and all he's done in men's football is 1 goal in 15 games, albeit in a very poor Forest Green side.

Saying that, they also had Myles Peart-Harris on loan from Brentford for the full season, and he at least managed to score 5 and assist 4. I'd rather have him than Savage.

Now that clubs are taking shape in League One, we can probably get a look at who is likely to be among the runners and riders. 

In terms of candidates for the top 2 - 

Bolton - I expected Bolton to be our main challenger this season, but don't think they've done a great deal in the transfer market. Lost Bradley and Trafford who are both excellent young players. Still, watched them against Everton and they looked good and I think they will still provide a threat. I also expect them to do well in the loan market once that really starts to gear up. If I'm a Bolton fan I'd be confident of a top 6 finish - and a run at the top 2. 

Reading - awaiting a potential points deduction, I believe? So maybe not. Regardless, they've started adding quality to the squad and want to add up to 10 more. Lewis Wing is a very good signing - Knibbs, Smith and Savage all on the young side but have potential. They've had a shocking pre-season, though, so if you read anything into that it could be a slow start for them. If there is no points deduction, I would anticipate a top 6 finish. One to watch for the top 2 perhaps? 

Barnsley - like Bolton, I expected them to be there or thereabouts. They already some decent players in their side, but pre-season hasn't been great for them. Duffy was an excellent manager and I don't know if the replacement is going to be able to replicate his success. Mads Anderson is a very good player who has left. They will still have aspirations for the top 2, I'm sure, but a weaker side than the one who finished last season. 

Blackpool - lost a few players, sold a couple more. They've brought in Joseph, Norburn, Pennington and Morgan that should keep them competitive. Top 6 will be the aim and if a couple of these younger lads do the business then perhaps even top 2. 

Top 6 - 

Wigan - like Blackpool, lost a few players but have now started to add to their squad. They're going younger with the players they're bringing in, will start on -8(?), so although may not trouble the play-offs. I don't think they're going to be an easy game for anyone this season. 

Portsmouth - A lot has been made of their signings, but I don't particularly see a lot of quality within them personally. Reegan Poole is a solid defender, the likes of Whyte and Scully could provide a threat at this level. They've had one semi-serious friendly against AFC Wimbeldon and lost. Difficult one to read, inexperienced manager to boot. I would say top 6 hopefuls, but far from a favourite. 

Peterborough - Lost a couple of their better players, although still have JCH at this venture. They will no doubt threaten the top 6 as they always do, one of the better teams at finding diamonds in the rough. A team with a lot of speed and athleticism. I still anticipate plenty of movement both in and out from them so will be difficult to call. 

Charlton - they've signed a couple of good players, Isted and May look solid, also said to be very active in the market still. They were far from brilliant last season, but do have some quality in their squad: Dobson, Hector, Leaburn. Rak-Sakyi will be a big miss. I do fancy them to go well this season if they add a few more. Leaburn and May upfront is an exciting front two - especially if Leaburn can stay fit. 

Oxford & Bristol Rovers will have some optimism this season too. 

Objectively, if you look at Derby in comparison - lost our top goalscorer and one of their better players in Knight. Although. we have increased the depth of the team and loaded up on defensive additions. A question on our attacking quality (yet to be addressed) but realistically a very experienced side, under an experienced manager who look better built for the rigors of the season. 

I'd go for a top 4 of: Blackpool, Derby, Bolton and Reading (barring any point deduction). Charlton, Barnsley and Portsmouth to fight it out for the final two spots in the play-offs. I could see Barnsley missing out in all honesty. 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Now that clubs are taking shape in League One, we can probably get a look at who is likely to be among the runners and riders. 

In terms of candidates for the top 2 - 

Bolton - I expected Bolton to be our main challenger this season, but don't think they've done a great deal in the transfer market. Lost Bradley and Trafford who are both excellent young players. Still, watched them against Everton and they looked good and I think they will still provide a threat. I also expect them to do well in the loan market once that really starts to gear up. If I'm a Bolton fan I'd be confident of a top 6 finish - and a run at the top 2. 

Reading - awaiting a potential points deduction, I believe? So maybe not. Regardless, they've started adding quality to the squad and want to add up to 10 more. Lewis Wing is a very good signing - Knibbs, Smith and Savage all on the young side but have potential. They've had a shocking pre-season, though, so if you read anything into that it could be a slow start for them. If there is no points deduction, I would anticipate a top 6 finish. One to watch for the top 2 perhaps? 

Barnsley - like Bolton, I expected them to be there or thereabouts. They already some decent players in their side, but pre-season hasn't been great for them. Duffy was an excellent manager and I don't know if the replacement is going to be able to replicate his success. Mads Anderson is a very good player who has left. They will still have aspirations for the top 2, I'm sure, but a weaker side than the one who finished last season. 

Blackpool - lost a few players, sold a couple more. They've brought in Joseph, Norburn, Pennington and Morgan that should keep them competitive. Top 6 will be the aim and if a couple of these younger lads do the business then perhaps even top 2. 

Top 6 - 

Wigan - like Blackpool, lost a few players but have now started to add to their squad. They're going younger with the players they're bringing in, will start on -8(?), so although may not trouble the play-offs. I don't think they're going to be an easy game for anyone this season. 

Portsmouth - A lot has been made of their signings, but I don't particularly see a lot of quality within them personally. Reegan Poole is a solid defender, the likes of Whyte and Scully could provide a threat at this level. They've had one semi-serious friendly against AFC Wimbeldon and lost. Difficult one to read, inexperienced manager to boot. I would say top 6 hopefuls, but far from a favourite. 

Peterborough - Lost a couple of their better players, although still have JCH at this venture. They will no doubt threaten the top 6 as they always do, one of the better teams at finding diamonds in the rough. A team with a lot of speed and athleticism. I still anticipate plenty of movement both in and out from them so will be difficult to call. 

Charlton - they've signed a couple of good players, Isted and May look solid, also said to be very active in the market still. They were far from brilliant last season, but do have some quality in their squad: Dobson, Hector, Leaburn. Rak-Sakyi will be a big miss. I do fancy them to go well this season if they add a few more. Leaburn and May upfront is an exciting front two - especially if Leaburn can stay fit. 

Oxford & Bristol Rovers will have some optimism this season too. 

Objectively, if you look at Derby in comparison - lost our top goalscorer and one of their better players in Knight. Although. we have increased the depth of the team and loaded up on defensive additions. A question on our attacking quality (yet to be addressed) but realistically a very experienced side, under an experienced manager who look better built for the rigors of the season. 

I'd go for a top 4 of: Blackpool, Derby, Bolton and Reading (barring any point deduction). Charlton, Barnsley and Portsmouth to fight it out for the final two spots in the play-offs. I could see Barnsley missing out in all honesty. 

Reading under an embargo again so may not be able to get those 10 players in now 

17 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Reading under an embargo again so may not be able to get those 10 players in now 

Piss take as per with this lot. How have they been allowed to bring in anyone without assurances on their current debts being cleared. Where is their point deduction for breaking their embargo with EFL facilitation. Far more questions to be answered than when we we were stopped  extending  Marriotts contract and we were only allowed to give youngsters 1 yr deals costing bloody millions. 

Problem is that nobody brings the EFL to book for this. Fans of all clubs moan and wonder how on earth they get away with it but the EFL can easily ignore the background noise created by the fans.

It really hurts me to say this but maybe it needs somebody like that little f****n pube head at Middlesborough to push the authorities to actually do something

43 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Piss take as per with this lot. How have they been allowed to bring in anyone without assurances on their current debts being cleared. Where is their point deduction for breaking their embargo with EFL facilitation. Far more questions to be answered than when we we were stopped  extending  Marriotts contract and we were only allowed to give youngsters 1 yr deals costing bloody millions. 

I wonder if the recent signings have had there registrations approved by the EFL yet ? Might be interesting if not 

I'd guess it's getting to the point where it's difficult to ignore now? I'd assume some form of point deduction ahead of the new season will be given and god knows when they will get out from under the embargo after being given grace last time. It makes the build up for this season a bit of a nightmare - penny for the thoughts of the players already gone there, especially Wing who doesn't have age on his side. 

• 3 weeks later...