23/24 season

TomTom92

13 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I keep seeing this, but having watched it this season - I can’t for the life of me why. In terms of quality, it’s poor and teams typically need 10 chances to score 1 goal. 

I came into it not expecting much and having watched a full season of it - it’s worse than I anticipated. 

Not sure then what that says about us 🤔

Top 2 

I want to see some real passion and expectation out of the club culturally this year. The club has been beaten up and kicked whilst it’s down for a few years now.

I want to see us now stand up, dust the cobwebs off and be counted in this league- go and show everyone exactly who Derby County are. Almost an air of aggressive arrogance about us, we’re Derby County, and we’re getting out of this league sort of mentality. 

Teams will raise their game against us, and don’t expect any favours from refs this year. **** the lot of them, let’s for once let them worry about us rather than us worrying about everyone else! 

COYR

12 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Top 2 

I want to see some real passion and expectation out of the club culturally this year. The club has been beaten up and kicked whilst it’s down for a few years now.

I want to see us now stand up, dust the cobwebs off and be counted in this league- go and show everyone exactly who Derby County are. Almost an air of aggressive arrogance about us, we’re Derby County, and we’re getting out of this league sort of mentality. 

Teams will raise their game against us, and don’t expect any favours from refs this year. **** the lot of them, let’s for once let them worry about us rather than us worrying about everyone else! 

COYR

That's not allowed I've been advised.  Exactly what Rob Hindmarch said to his teammates when they got promoted last time but we have no right to expect to not play in this division apparently , we are League 1 and arrogance serves no purpose. ( even though we were a side that should have finished mid table championship and never got relegated to this league on actual results )

I'm with you.  

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not sure then what that says about us 🤔

Unfortunately, you know what it does.

Last season's Derby County were a team that were thrown together at the last minute, without the possibility of spending transfer fees or loan fees, with five players on our books. We went into the season with no permanent manager, 7 of our 11 most used players from the season before were out the door (along with our manager) on top of another 12 players who made appearances for us - so nearly 20 players down. STILL, we managed to go 20 games unbeaten and missed out on the play-offs by one lonely point despite having one of the oldest and smallest squads in the entire football league. 

If the club can showcase reasonable competence now, given the restrictions are partially or fully lifted, it should be a fairly straight forward season. The above is why I know it to be a fairly poor standard division, despite what we were told.

Having finished 7th and now in a better financial position, it's obviously reasonable to expect an improvement next year, but at the moment all these "anything less that top 2 is a failure" predictions are not yet based on anything other than expectation of what 'should' be happening because a club of our size and we did well last year yadda yadda.. and it's not yet based on any team we may actually be able to put out as there are going to be a lot of both outgoings and incomings.

Since the end of the season we have lost quite a few players who played a fair few games between them and we have not seen any signings yet due to the window not being open. As such, I can't really say what I expect next year until I have seen how the squad is added to because as of this moment we're paper thin and have a weaker squad than last year. That's not a surprise or a criticism in any way, but I just have no idea what team is going to step out in a Derby shirt yet.

41 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

Having finished 7th and now in a better financial position, it's obviously reasonable to expect an improvement next year, but at the moment all these "anything less that top 2 is a failure" predictions are not yet based on anything other than expectation of what 'should' be happening because a club of our size and we did well last year yadda yadda.. and it's not yet based on any team we may actually be able to put out as there are going to be a lot of both outgoings and incomings.

Since the end of the season we have lost quite a few players who played a fair few games between them and we have not seen any signings yet due to the window not being open. As such, I can't really say what I expect next year until I have seen how the squad is added to because as of this moment we're paper thin and have a weaker squad than last year. That's not a surprise or a criticism in any way, but I just have no idea what team is going to step out in a Derby shirt yet.

So currently our squad is 

Wildsmith Loach * 

cashin Forsyth 

Bielik * knight bird sibley hourihane 
NML Barkhuizen 

Mcgolderick * Collins 

that’s extremely alarming considering I think mcgolderick and Bielik won’t be here 

that’s 1 GK possibly 2 , 2rbs 2-3 CBS , 1 left back , 1-2 wingers  Strikers 1-2 

that’s about 13-14 new players 

currently with that squad lower bottom table need a lot of improvements 

4 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Wildsmith Loach * 

cashin Forsyth 

NML Barkhuizen 

Mcgolderick * Collins 

that’s extremely alarming considering I think mcgolderick and Bielik won’t be here 

Yes a lot of changes are needed! Thought we would have had a free agent tied up by now, sheerly due to the amount of bodies that we need through the door. 

8 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Wildsmith Loach * 

cashin Forsyth 

NML Barkhuizen 

Mcgolderick * Collins 

Why is it extremely alarming, you do realise the transfer window isn’t open yet, we currently have 16/17 first team players.

18 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Wildsmith Loach * 

cashin Forsyth 

NML Barkhuizen 

Mcgolderick * Collins 

You're missing Rooney, K.Smith & Thompson.

1 hour ago, Alty_Ram said:

It's based on finishing 7th with a patchwork squad and having a year to get used to Warne's way of working. Being able to add to the squad to a settled side for the first time in a long time, as well as being comfortably the side in the division that generates the most revenue. They aren't predictions, but more requirements. 

On 31/05/2023 at 13:45, Derbados said:

Top 2 

COYR

I agree but I think that mentality is missing in a lot of our players. We found a way to drop points we shouldn't have done so many times last season.  Hopefully Warne can recruit some winners and instill that belief in the rest of the squad.  

Had a think about this question over a few days and I think I’ve come to the conclusion that while I expect us to be challenging near the top, I’m not too bothered about promotion. I mean if it happens then great, I’d be ecstatic but a few things bother me.

1) I want us to be a sustainable club, I don’t want us to have a chairman who’s having to throw thousands, if not millions, into the club just to keep us afloat or chasing a near impossible dream. We are a community club and I don’t want us to have an idea that the finances of the club are an ownership problem rather than an overall problem we need to keep an eye on.

2) I want us to have an achievable plan in place to build something. We might have this already in place internally but I want us to have a plan to build something over x amount of seasons rather than just getting to the championship and then going from there. 

3) I have great concerns for the football pyramid as a whole, I can’t see the point in being a championship team with more overheads, trying to get to the prem where the gap between the have and have nots gets ever bigger.

Yes I’d love promotions and getting back to being a big club again, but I also like local ownership and I want us to be steady and stable. We need to be careful what we wish for and think about what’s next and how it’s going to be achieved as much as just having expectations.

Edited by TuffLuff

1) I can assure you David Clowes will not be putting any money into the club. His philosophy is that the club is self financing.

2) He does have a plan. Based on what happens season on season, there are plans for L1 and SBC. Following promotion there will be a PL plan as well, although I suspect the basis of it is already in his head if not on paper.

3) Luton seem to have proved that all things are possible. From non-League to the PL in 9 years with a ground that has a 10K capacity.

The expectation is there. Looking at what we achieved last season from DC's takeover on July 1st it's hardly surprising that fans are expecting promotion. Most, maybe all, of the bookies have DCFC as title favourites at between 5/1 and 6/1. Achieving it is another matter altogether. Imagine that PW is able to get the 12 or so new signings he wants. There's no guarantee they will gel quickly or even at all. That's why the game is so attractive, intoxicating. You never ever know for certain. Look at Chelsea this past season...

I think anything less than where we finished this season would be seen as a failure. So as a bare minimum I expect us to be in the top 6.

I do believe however that we will finish in the top 2. With the players we currently have and the budget we will have in this division there’s no excuses really. 

We will have a better balanced squad and more squad depth than last year. Let’s face it, it was bare bones last year and we still did well considering where we were at. 

Warne has highlighted all the areas we all know need strengthening so it bodes well for our summer recruitment. 

I think we’ll have a good season where we’ll win quite a lot and have an enjoyable time 

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

1) I can assure you David Clowes will not be putting any money into the club. His philosophy is that the club is self financing.

2) He does have a plan. Based on what happens season on season, there are plans for L1 and SBC. Following promotion there will be a PL plan as well, although I suspect the basis of it is already in his head if not on paper.

3) Luton seem to have proved that all things are possible. From non-League to the PL in 9 years with a ground that has a 10K capacity.

The expectation is there. Looking at what we achieved last season from DC's takeover on July 1st it's hardly surprising that fans are expecting promotion. Most, maybe all, of the bookies have DCFC as title favourites at between 5/1 and 6/1. Achieving it is another matter altogether. Imagine that PW is able to get the 12 or so new signings he wants. There's no guarantee they will gel quickly or even at all. That's why the game is so attractive, intoxicating. You never ever know for certain. Look at Chelsea this past season...

You heard this from a reliable source? 
I’d heard he was happy to fund us to X amount per season if needed.

29 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

If you count RamsTV interviews with David Clowes as reliable, then, yes. Plus something he said to me in the Directors Lounge (actually, we were in the doorway) at Forest Green. The plan is for the club to be self sufficient, paying its own way. Remember, when it was first mooted that he would buy the club to save it, he was said to be worth £250M. Buying DCFC and PP cost him £50M. Most of what he had left will be in non-liquid assets rather than ready cash. He also said, when there was talk of him buying that his Dad had told him NOT to buy the club. DC is a canny man and won't be imposing further on his "worth" than he already has done.

51 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

If you count RamsTV interviews with David Clowes as reliable, then, yes. Plus something he said to me in the Directors Lounge (actually, we were in the doorway) at Forest Green. The plan is for the club to be self sufficient, paying its own way. Remember, when it was first mooted that he would buy the club to save it, he was said to be worth £250M. Buying DCFC and PP cost him £50M. Most of what he had left will be in non-liquid assets rather than ready cash. He also said, when there was talk of him buying that his Dad had told him NOT to buy the club. DC is a canny man and won't be imposing further on his "worth" than he already has done.

I hope that financial sustainability is the way forward and we never forget the errors of the past quarter of a century, which by and large probably represents the longest period of disappointment, worry and under-achievement in our history. In that period, the only time we appeared financially stable was when Mel Morris took over and promised us the Premier League; it turned out to be just a thin veneer and ended near to extinction. Now we've balanced the books, keep it that way and please no more gambles. Rotherham, Coventry and Luton have shown what can be done on a limited budget (as have several clubs in our division now). If the club is run properly we are big enough to exceed all of those clubs and many more who currently stand above us in the pyramid.

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I imagine the aim is to be self funding, but if you want to push hard within that plan, an owner will need a £1m per season contingency fund, for income variables and unforeseen circumstances.  

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

That's the plan, for us to be self sufficient and competitive we will need investment to get there. It's fairly unlikely he will invest no money in the club. You're drawing your own conclusions here.