23/24 season

TomTom92

4 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

A gradual, sensible approach is good, however I doubt anyone's going to get the 10 transfer windows and 66 signings to build the squad like Clough had.

That’s what people forget. 

he was allowed the time to have about 45 misses by the time he’d clocked up 20 successes. 

Are we starting this season in a similar position as we were last season. With a depleted squad in need of a influx of players?

While last season's hastily assembled squad performed better than I thought they would. As a team and individually they were given a lot of leeway and faced little criticism when putting in a poor performance. Will this seasons squad get the same latitude or will the greater expectation of promotion by many fan, lead to more moaning this coming season?

Hopefully the support and positivity that's been present since the David Clowes saved the club. Won't be lost if the season doesn't start with bang and us sat at the top of the table.

12 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Are we starting this season in a similar position as we were last season. With a depleted squad in need of a influx of players?

While last season's hastily assembled squad performed better than I thought they would. As a team and individually they were given a lot of leeway and faced little criticism when putting in a poor performance. Will this seasons squad get the same latitude or will the greater expectation of promotion by many fan, lead to more moaning this coming season?

Hopefully the support and positivity that's been present since the David Clowes saved the club. Won't be lost if the season doesn't start with bang and us sat at the top of the table.

Whilst it is a depleted squad it obviously won’t need to be assembled quite as a hastily and we can spend a bit of money this time. Therefore, I can’t see how they, or the manager, will have quite the leeway they were rightly afforded last season.

We're starting off from a far better base this season, last season we had 5 contracted players, this season without additions as yet we have a more than capable starting xi for L1 plus a couple of subs!

Wildsmith

Rooney  Cashin  Forsyth

Knight  Bird  Hourihane  Sibley

NML  Collins  Barkhuizen

(K.Smith, Thompson, (Bielik))

30 minutes ago, Carnero said:

We're starting off from a far better base this season, last season we had 5 contracted players, this season without additions as yet we have a more than capable starting xi for L1 plus a couple of subs!

Wildsmith

Rooney  Cashin  Forsyth

NML  Collins  Barkhuizen

While Bielik is still contracted to us, he is not listed in our player profiles, not sure he ever will be.

48 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Whilst it is a depleted squad it obviously won’t need to be assembled quite as a hastily and we can spend a bit of money this time. Therefore, I can’t see how they, or the manager, will have quite the leeway they were rightly afforded last season.

If this season's team shouldn't expect the same level of support given to last season's team. When should they expect to hear the first chorus of booing? After the first, second or third poor performance?

Any bets who will be the first disgruntled poster calling for the manager's sacking.

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

If this season's team shouldn't expect the same level of support given to last season's team. When should they expect to hear the first chorus of booing? After the first, second or third poor performance?

Any bets who will be the first disgruntled poster calling for the manager's sacking.

That position has already been claimed by one particular poster, and they’ve already expressed such a sentiment 

12 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Probably during SBW before the Stoke friendly.

28 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Some idiots will no doubt be booing if we happen to find ourselves a goal down at half time in our first home game. Similarly, I would imagine some will be calling for the manager’s head before a ball is even kicked. 

Just to clarify, I would hope the team (and management) still receive the same level of support but can perhaps expect to be a bit more at risk of criticism. It is possible to be supportive and critical at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I mean I called for Warne’s sacking in March, we’ll ahead of the curve on that one.

If I remember right weren’t you training to be an actuary? I hope you aren’t looking at my pension with that level of life expectancy.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Wildsmith

Rooney  Cashin  Forsyth

NML  Collins  Barkhuizen

We may have  a few more players than we had 12 months ago.  But however capable they are, there's a big difference between being able to name eleven players that can start a game, compared to having a balanced team of  eleven players capable of winning promotion. 

Players were being asked to play in unfamiliar positions, which left us unbalanced and venerable at times. Wasn't this a reason why we struggled against well organised teams last season?

So having a few more players than we had last year, doesn't necessarily put us in a better place than we were then. We'll still need a minimum of 6 or 7 new signings this season, not many less than arrived last year.

4 hours ago, Carnero said:

Wildsmith

Rooney  Cashin  Forsyth

NML  Collins  Barkhuizen

A better starting point than last season but also a reflection on how thin our squad is. Full backs have to be the priority (having none) then a couple of centre forwards and centre backs.

The aim this year has to be promotion. Last year was a free hit because of the near destruction of the club that had gone before. But we cannot keep licking our wounds over that period. With Ipswich and Wednesday out with Blackpool, Reading, and Wigan (two of whom have severe financial problems) coming down, we should expect promotion.