Knight Sibley Bird Bielik

simmoram1995

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

not long after xmas. He made it known he’d want to be with us if we were promoted but implied strongly that if we weren't he’d be off. And I think (though not certain) it reflected comments allegedly made by his international manager  Wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the fringe of a prem side next year (Luton, Burnley?) - I reckon he's the only outfield player we now have who could live at that level (if you exclude an injury free Bielik)

Why would premier League teams want him in their squad? He's not shown that he's capable of playing at that level. I even have doubts about championship teams coming in with decent offers. At the end of the day he's not stood out in league one. Would be much better off staying here improving his game and having a good season.

7 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

not long after xmas. He made it known he’d want to be with us if we were promoted but implied strongly that if we weren't he’d be off. And I think (though not certain) it reflected comments allegedly made by his international manager  Wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the fringe of a prem side next year (Luton, Burnley?) - I reckon he's the only outfield player we now have who could live at that level (if you exclude an injury free Bielik)

During this interview with BBC Derby in January Knight declined to be drawn on whether he wanted to stay or not;

What he said in full is: “I’ve always been happy here. I’ve come through here and I know a lot of people around the club, a lot of people around the city so I’ve always been happy here.

“But contract stuff takes care of itself.”

Asked directly whether he wanted to stay at the East Midlands club, he said: “Look we’ll see what happens I suppose but I’m really enjoying my football.”

I can’t find any other interview in which Knight says what you have claimed. He was non-committal in that interview so people can read into that what they like but we shouldn’t assume or misquote people, unless of course there is another interview out there?

Personally I think it’s likely Knight will be sold this summer, good luck to him if he is, if we can get a couple of million and future sell on clauses for him that gives us the chance to reinvest in a couple of options within the squad. If he stays, great stuff.

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

As others have pointed out B4, Scott Twice was arguably the best player in league 1 last year and he was signed for £3m. 
He had a much superior season to what Knight has just had too. 

I think we’ve missed the boat with getting silly money for average players unfortunately. 

Not in my eyes he was not and there are a small club so for them that meger money.

We need stop selling out players for peanuts.🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜

39 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

During this interview with BBC Derby in January Knight declined to be drawn on whether he wanted to stay or not;

What he said in full is: “I’ve always been happy here. I’ve come through here and I know a lot of people around the club, a lot of people around the city so I’ve always been happy here.

“But contract stuff takes care of itself.”

Asked directly whether he wanted to stay at the East Midlands club, he said: “Look we’ll see what happens I suppose but I’m really enjoying my football.”

I can’t find any other interview in which Knight says what you have claimed. He was non-committal in that interview so people can read into that what they like but we shouldn’t assume or misquote people, unless of course there is another interview out there?

Personally I think it’s likely Knight will be sold this summer, good luck to him if he is, if we can get a couple of million and future sell on clauses for him that gives us the chance to reinvest in a couple of options within the squad. If he stays, great stuff.

Hardly implying that he'd be off if we didn't get promoted 

6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Hardly implying that he'd be off if we didn't get promoted 

Very much agree, he didn’t say either way. What he did say was that he has connections to the club and was enjoying his football. As I said in my post there might be another interview out there in which he does say that, but I can’t find it….
What I did find when looking for the alleged comments by Knight is that there’s a worrying narrative in the Irish media that he needs to move on for the sake of his international career, which is why I can see him leaving this summer. If he doesn’t go anywhere then great for us, if he does go I hope we reinvest the money wisely. 

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

Why would premier League teams want him in their squad? He's not shown that he's capable of playing at that level. I even have doubts about championship teams coming in with decent offers. At the end of the day he's not stood out in league one. Would be much better off staying here improving his game and having a good season.

The Premier League is absolutely brutal. Bottom half teams are under so much pressure they will look for 30 year olds on a free who have 200 prem games under their belt, released by bigger clubs. They do not have time to train up players who have been bang average in Tier 3.The top half are looking for World Cup winners.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Not in my eyes he was not and there are a small club so for them that meger money.

We need stop selling out players for peanuts.🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜🥜

Thank goodness you are able to spell peanuts B4.

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

last season’s performances not at all representative of what he can deliver. We know that from what he achieved before. It’s weird because he's the sort of player who should thrive under Warne but it didn't work. The fact he was so indifferent last season means someone may get a bargain, sad to say.

he's an excellent ‘that sort of player’.  if there’s a manager out there in need of one, PL or not, he’ll get snapped up. But he’ll not get enough game time in the PL so might not be good for him 

Knight is one of a few players we have that suffered from playing multiple roles. He had weeks off with an injury, He played Right Back, DM, wide right, wide left and the 10 role. Sibs played LB DM, AM, 10, wide left and wide right. Smith idem ditto. then you have Barks and NML brought in to play as wingers playing wing back. Not a role either of them wants, never mind likes.

Horses for courses. Round pegs in round holes. That's the way to do it 😉

I think Knights played everywhere but goalie in the past 2 years.  Perhaps he'll be better in a side where they just leave him in midfield for a few months. Radical idea I know and he may even manage to get back to scoring some goals when he's not running around like a headless chicken mopping up everyone's s*** for 95 minutes.

I might be misremembering, but didn't our good run of form start when we shifted Knight into the middle and Smith to RB? He didn't have a ground breaking season, but he also played 10 different positions. I think he's the one player that could really flourish under Warne, assuming Warne gets the players he wants for the roles around him.

If we don't need to sell, we should hang on to the home grown players. Their values will be at the lowest ebb after a season in the doldrums and if we do go up, Knight goes from £2m to £6m over night.

Bielik, despite how good he could be for us, sadly just has to go. You can't pay a league one player that sort of money.

Personally I like the concept of seeing our young lads achieve success with us, so I would love to see Sibley, Bird, Knight and Cashin stuck around to get us promotion.

However, I think we have to accept that

a) only Cashin stood out last season. Bird looked good for spells but there will always be question marks about his influence on results. Knight had a poor season by his promising standards and Sibley remained inconsistent apart from a surprisingly effective spell at full back.

b) if anyone comes in with a competitive offer from leagues above, then we will certainly look at it and each player would be foolish not to test themselves elsewhere.

c) a fit Bielik would be a beast at this level but we all know it's not economically viable and he doesn't really fancy it, so we might as well cut out losses and let him keep the physics in work elsewhere...

If a couple go and we get £2-5m to reinvest then that's got to be the sensible option.

Edited by RodleyRam

According to transfermarkt these are the appearances and positions Knight made last season. He was deployed at right back in all of Rosenior’s games apart from the Wycombe game. Warne then used him in midfield as the more advanced of a 3 with Bird and Hourihane which coincided with our unbeaten run. He then got moved around a bit in the final few games of the season.
Knight, and other young players, have both benefitted from and been victims of Morris’ mess. They got their opportunities and games as the reliance shifted to the academy, but it’s also meant they’ve maybe played more minutes in the first team than they would have if we’d not been hamstrung for years. Knight in particular has been used in various positions by all his managers due to his versatility. 
If he stays with us he is likely to get even more games in his best position as the imbalance and lack of depth in the squad is finally resolved after the past few years of um-bongos and restrictions. We should finally be reaching the point of round pegs in round holes except in the most desperate of circumstances like an injury crisis. 

2499E82A-7656-4F16-B9FF-06B889F13242.jpeg

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Spelling

53 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

According to transfermarkt these are the appearances and positions Knight made last season. He was deployed at right back in all of Rosenior’s games apart from the Wycombe game. Warne then used him in midfield as the more advanced of a 3 with Bird and Hourihane which coincided with our unbeaten run. He then got moved around a bit in the final few games of the season.
Knight, and other young players, have both benefitted from and been victims of Morris’ mess. They got their opportunities and games as the reliance shifted to the academy, but it’s also meant they’ve maybe played more minutes in the first team than they would have if we’d not been hamstrung for years. Knight in particular has been used in various positions by all his managers due to his versatility. 
If he stays with us he is likely to get even more games in his best position as the imbalance and lack of depth in the squad is finally resolved after the past few years of um-bongos and restrictions. We should finally be reaching the point of round pegs in round holes except in the most desperate of circumstances like an injury crisis. 

2499E82A-7656-4F16-B9FF-06B889F13242.jpeg

Not saying it's the case with Knight, just a general note,  but a  problem with Transfermarkt position info is that it only attributes a position to a player if they started the game. Not sure why it never tracks where they played when they came on though.

Also I'm not sure it has a dedicated Wing Back position? They just get counted at RM?

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Not saying it's the case with Knight, just a general note,  but a  problem with Transfermarkt position info is that it only attributes a position to a player if they started the game. Not sure why it never tracks where they played when they came on though.

Also I'm not sure it has a dedicated Wing Back position? They just get counted at RM?

Looks that way, he finished the season at rwb but is listed as rm on their stats. I know it’s not the most reliable resource but it helped highlight a point. He’s been used in a number of positions this season and in others by all of his managers, I think the circumstances leading to that are often missed by people. Hopefully Knight stays and we’ll have enough cover throughout the squad that he can be used consistently in his best position, or even if he goes I hope the club he joins is able to offer him that same consistency for the good of his career. 

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

He’s been used in a number of positions this season and in others by all of his managers, I think the circumstances leading to that are often missed by people.

Indeed.

Oh for a truly Martin-esque figure in any of the seasons since he buggered off to Bristol , with Knight played centrally and playing off them like he did under Cocu when he was a Bryson-esque goal threat.

It always annoys me when people come to strong conclusions about certain players after they've been hung out to dry to some degree by either managerial choices or circumstance.

And when people can't or refuse to see that a players has abilities that just don't fit the current setup and then criticise them for their ouput, ala Jozwiak (another who'd have been a great fit for a McClaren team)

Edited by Kokosnuss

Just now, Kokosnuss said:

Indeed.

Oh for a truly  Martin-esque figure in any of the seasons since he buggered off to Bristol , and Knight played centrally, played off them like he did under Cocu when he was a Brtson-edque goal threat 

It always annoys me when people come to strong conclusions about certain players after they've been hung out to dry to some degree by either managerial choices or circumstance.

If Knight stays, we manage to recruit some full backs/wing backs and a more mobile/physical option up top we may well get to see that. Warne played Knight in midfield with Bird and Hourihane, I think he knows Knight’s strengths and would use him to lead the press as he did earlier this season. 
My bug bear is I feel like people only want to paint Warne as using Knight to cover various positions when Rooney and Rosenior also did, it’s that bigger picture thing I’ve referred to before. 
The question I’m more interested in is a slightly hypothetical one; if Bird, Knight and Sibley (ignoring Bielik) do stay, how do we (or more specifically Warne) get them all in the side in a way that plays to their strengths? Can they all start in the same side? 

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

The question I’m more interested in is a slightly hypothetical one; if Bird, Knight and Sibley (ignoring Bielik) do stay, how do we (or more specifically Warne) get them all in the side in a way that plays to their strengths? Can they all start in the same side? 

I'd say possibly / probably not if you're expecting them to start most games together and be mainstays in the team, but they all have their own strengths and it should be possible to utilise all of them at the right times and in the right games with clever management so that they all contribute to a successful side.

I do fear that all 3, in some way, would be better off leaving for the sake of their own careers, but I live in hope that Warne can find a solution.