Knight Sibley Bird Bielik

simmoram1995

So I’ve been wondering about these four , the qualities they bring and the potential cost they could bring in. 

realistically we’re in a position I think we could keep only one as we need to be a sustainable club moving forward.

out of these id keep bird I think consistently he’s been the best out the lot.

as for Knight and sibley they just have no pushed on and the fact that knight has a year on his contract (unfortunately for you B4) he has to be sold and he’s definitely not a £5m + player.

as for Bielik it’s going to be a huge loss on his astronomical fee we signed him for but I think we could still get £1m+ maybe £1.5m at a push due to injury record.

so taking on board this I think:

keep bird 

sell 

sibley £300-750k roughly 

knight £1.5- 3m tops

bielik £1-2m tops 

Just now, simmoram1995 said:

So I’ve been wondering about these four , the qualities they bring and the potential cost they could bring in. 

realistically we’re in a position I think we could keep only one as we need to be a sustainable club moving forward.

out of these id keep bird I think consistently he’s been the best out the lot.

as for Knight and sibley they just have no pushed on and the fact that knight has a year on his contract (unfortunately for you B4) he has to be sold and he’s definitely not a £5m + player.

as for Bielik it’s going to be a huge loss on his astronomical fee we signed him for but I think we could still get £1m+ maybe £1.5m at a push due to injury record.

so taking on board this I think:

keep bird 

sell 

sibley £300-750k roughly 

knight £1.5- 3m tops

bielik £1-2m tops 

So roughly £5-6 m in transfer fees plus add ons 

Bielik will either be sold or loaned out for a fee. That takes his £20K a week wage off the books.

Knight may well want to move to a championship club in order to advance his career. Understandable.

We've lost a few from the squad. Older players let go and loanees returning to their parent clubs.

Unless there's players PW really doesn't want around and will try to sell or loan out, I would expect the rest of the squad to remain in tact. We then go for replacements for those no longer with us plus 3 or 4 extra bodies to give the squad more depth than last season's one and, hopefully, avoid the, IMO fatigue induced, dip we had from the 2nd week of February.

I thought Bielik was on just under £30k a week - £1.5m per annum. I seem to recall that being mentioned when we were in administration as an obstacle. We also owed £5m or something for him, which has now presumably been paid off after coming out of admin? 

I agree that he would absolutely be useful for us, but the likelihood is that we’re going to find another loan deal to take his wages off the books. 

Sibley, Knight and Bird all signed new contracts. We know from a court appearance that Bogle was on £9k a week here - you would have to assume these three are on at least that, if not more. I guess it comes down to who comes in for them and what offers are on the table. Sibley has ability so I’d be wary about letting him go cheap, especially if it’s to a divisional rival. Bird and Knight I guess we will see. If I’m Knight’s agent, I’d probably be in Luton’s ear about a move because they aren’t going to be in the market for players on big wages and will probably see this Knight as an opportunity to turn a decent profit. Bird, actually, I could see going to the loser of that final - Coventry.  

I’m not at the point of saying I don’t care if they go, aside from Bielik, but I’d be happy to sell all three for a fair decent return to refresh the squad ahead of next season. 

I think we will see a few departures.  Warne will be demanding fitter more effective players next season and there's a few in the squad who might not fancy that given their age.  Pretty obvious too that he doesn't really rate a couple and I doubt he sugar-coated the end of season feedback to them.

37 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I thought Bielik was on just under £30k a week - £1.5m per annum. I seem to recall that being mentioned when we were in administration as an obstacle. We also owed £5m or something for him, which has now presumably been paid off after coming out of admin? 

I agree that he would absolutely be useful for us, but the likelihood is that we’re going to find another loan deal to take his wages off the books. 

Sibley, Knight and Bird all signed new contracts. We know from a court appearance that Bogle was on £9k a week here - you would have to assume these three are on at least that, if not more. I guess it comes down to who comes in for them and what offers are on the table. Sibley has ability so I’d be wary about letting him go cheap, especially if it’s to a divisional rival. Bird and Knight I guess we will see. If I’m Knight’s agent, I’d probably be in Luton’s ear about a move because they aren’t going to be in the market for players on big wages and will probably see this Knight as an opportunity to turn a decent profit. Bird, actually, I could see going to the loser of that final - Coventry.  

I’m not at the point of saying I don’t care if they go, aside from Bielik, but I’d be happy to sell all three for a fair decent return to refresh the squad ahead of next season. 

Thought from the list I saw, only Conor and Collins were over 10k a week, Knight and Bird were on 8k if I remember rightly…

Bird, Knight and Sibley, I would like to have had them as our midfield 3 for years to come, as they each have slightly different styles; unfortunately that probably wont come to pass. I can see, if we are to keep one that Knight would be the one that maybe fits most into Warnes style of high energy play at this exact moment in time, Bird and Sibley perhaps need more work. Knight however I think is most likely to leave though, given his international status, and stage of development.

I don't think any of these 4 will fetch what we imagined back in the day.

Bielik, I dont think will be in a Derby shirt again, I can see going on loan for his last season, and then going on a free. It would make sense if he is to end up on anything like the wage he is accustomed to, to have the buying club dedicate all their budget on his wages. Makes me sad, but not as angry as I should (given how we stood by the injuries), but hey ho.

8 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

I wouldn’t be against bird being sold for a decent fee, is a nice footballer but has a really limited impact on games. Is also pretty weak without the ball, no great pace or energy, tackling not great. 

If one of them was going then Bird is in the frame with just one league goal and two assists in all the minutes played is a very poor return in the third division from central midfield but it’s all about the balance of the side. It’s up to the manager and his thoughts on what he wants

8 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

I wouldn’t be against bird being sold for a decent fee, is a nice footballer but has a really limited impact on games. Is also pretty weak without the ball, no great pace or energy, tackling not great. 

If you want to access his impact, see what happened to the team that was flying and on a long unbeaten run, after he got injured. 

You could probably apply all of your criticisms to Jan Molby from the Liverpool team of the 1980s.

24 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

If one of them was going then Bird is in the frame with just one league goal and two assists in all the minutes played is a very poor return in the third division from central midfield but it’s all about the balance of the side. It’s up to the manager and his thoughts on what he wants

N'Golo Kante had 1 goal and 4 assists in the season Leicester won the Premier League.

53 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If you want to access his impact, see what happened to the team that was flying and on a long unbeaten run, after he got injured. 

You could probably apply all of your criticisms to Jan Molby from the Liverpool team of the 1980s.

Using your logic all would’ve been rosey when he came back from injury?

not saying has no qualities, just that I think he is very replaceable. Still think best period was with Rooney pre lockdown. Is a long time ago now. We didn’t dictate games very often at all last year. If not doing that then bird is not too involved.

40 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Using your logic all would’ve been rosey when he came back from injury?

not saying has no qualities, just that I think he is very replaceable. Still think best period was with Rooney pre lockdown. Is a long time ago now. We didn’t dictate games very often at all last year. If not doing that then bird is not too involved.

Dont think he looked the same after coming back from injury.

Before that he was instrumental in our unbeaten run and was controlling games.

24 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

We had them and came 7th. Much weaker Lg 1 next season , but time for a new approach.

We didn't have Bielik playing. Bird and Knight have plenty of ability but they must step up and add goals to their game. Sibley the jury is out, doesn't get much game time and seems to lack something over 90 minutes.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

N'Golo Kante had 1 goal and 4 assists in the season Leicester won the Premier League.

I think generally we don't have enough goals in us. We've been very reliant on McGoldrick. We're like Tottenham in that if Harry Kane wasn't there for them this season, where are the goals coming from? We need to be more like Man City. If it's not Haaland it's De Bruyne, Gundogan, Silva the list goes on and on.

Edited by Rammy03

31 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

We had them and came 7th. Much weaker Lg 1 next season , but time for a new approach.

It’s not as simple as your first point suggests is it? Our league position last season was down to a number of contributory factors. So yes, we had Sibley, Bird and Knight in the squad, but it was a squad that was lacking in depth and balance. A result of that imbalance/lack of depth saw Sibley deployed at left back for a period of time and Knight at right back (along with Smith) both also played in a couple of other positions. 

I expect Bielik will leave, there’s the possibility any, all, or none of Sibley, Knight and Bird stay. If some or all of them do stay I’ll be very interested to see how they fare in a better balanced side, given extended game time in their preferred/best positions. However on the point of balance within the side I can’t see how best Warne could accommodate them all in the starting side 🤔 A midfield 3 of Bird, Knight and Sibley seems too lightweight to me, and then Hourihane, Thommo and Smith are spares.
In the formation we ended the season with Bird and Knight as a two could work with a back 3 behind them and capable wing backs either side, leaving Sibley and McGoldrick as the 10’s behind a new more mobile striker, but that then leaves NML, Barkhuizen, Hourihane, Smith, Collins all spare and doesn’t account for any new additions. 

The above ramblings all bring me to your final point in that there probably is a need for a new approach. They could all stay and be accommodated in the squad, could it work having them in the same starting side? Maybe…but I can’t see Warne doing so. There’s a need for ongoing surgery to the squad which may see us lose some players, it’ll be sad to see any of them leave, however I think I’ll get over it if the side that remains is capable of winning games and gaining promotion.