Knight Sibley Bird Bielik

simmoram1995

1 hour ago, Jram said:

I’m willing to overlook the appalling spelling often seen in this forum but that spelling of inaccurate from a professional journalist can’t pass without comment. Makes me shiver 

The two ns and one c make it clear it wasn't just a typo either. 

What a word to get wrong...

10 minutes ago, vonwright said:

The two ns and one c make it clear it wasn't just a typo either. 

What a word to get wrong...

I'm spelling OCD too, even though I try hard to hide it. You was, instead of you were is the one that pickles my gherkin most, though I conceded it's completely irrational 😂

On 01/06/2023 at 22:35, 86 Hair Islands said:

We need to fight tooth and nail to keep the young'uns IMO. Of course, this may be an impossible task and I do think Knight will be off, given we are told that multiple clubs are looking to secure his services. Folk are now saying he did not shine, but I think he was short of conditioning off the back of his injury. When he came back into the side, he was an absolute beast, but his performance levels did drop once Bird got injured. That said, he's far from alone in that regard.

Sibley still has time on his side and can yet replicate his youth form if he is played regularly and in a position / system that complements his game. Big if's IMO, yet I'd be happy to see him stay, but only Paul Warne will know whether any such opportunity may arise and my gut tells me PW does not trust the lad. Furthermore, Sibley's ideal position is currently the province of a guy who netted 20+ last season and that's a problem to which I can see no immediate solution.

Bird frustrates me, but only because I see him as having the highest ceiling of the lot of them. He is supremely technically gifted, but as I've said before, he must get to a point where he is imposing his stamp on games. I think prior to his injury, that's precisely what he had begun doing. As other have pointed out, we were a far better side with an in-form Bird pulling the strings. Our slump aligning with his absence is far from a coincidence, IMO.

Bielik needs to be gotten rid of, the moment the window opens formally. He has some grand ideas about his ability that I'm not certain are warranted. More to the point, I'm not sure how the other players would respond if he returned, having played a really tough 50+ games in his absence. Those who resisted moves elsewhere to fight the good fight would, I suspect, have an issue were he displacing one of them. His personal ambitions have trumped those of the club and his stance seems clear to me; he'll not be back unless literally no other team wants him. The club has removed his profile from the DCFC Official website before the window even opens and I think the message is clear for all who choose to see.

I often read that Knight and Beilik are “Absolute Beasts”. I would only use that term for a player like Van Dyke. So I looked in the dictionary and it could be any farm yard animal. I have to say Knight has run around like a headless chicken at times this season and Beilik is more like “Bambi on ice”. But I don’t want to be too critical.

10 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I often read that Knight and Beilik are “Absolute Beasts”. I would only use that term for a player like Van Dyke. So I looked in the dictionary and it could be any farm yard animal. I have to say Knight has run around like a headless chicken at times this season and Beilik is more like “Bambi on ice”. But I don’t want to be too critical.

Blimey! I hate to see what you'd write if you were being critical. To be honest, I don't really get your point. We're not in the Prem, so the context is rather different to that you're trying to apply. When we say Didzy is a cheat code, should we mark him down because he's not Haaland?

12 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Blimey! I hate to see what you'd write if you were being critical. To be honest, I don't really get your point. We're not in the Prem, so the context is rather different to that you're trying to apply. When we say Didzy is a cheat code, should we mark him down because he's not Haaland?

Sorry, but we have just finished out of the play offs in Tier 3 . Should we be praising the players now , or willing them to get better? You are right , comparing them to Prem players is way off the mark.

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Sorry, but we have just finished out of the play offs in Tier 3 . Should we be praising the players now , or willing them to get better? You are right , comparing them to Prem players is way off the mark.

When Knight first came back from injury, he was in really good form. Go back and read the match threads - I wasn't alone in thinking as much, far from it. Without his wingman Bird, he wasn't, but then neither was anyone else.

More to the point, I'm not talking about or praising 'the players', so let's focus on what I've actually said rather than invent stuff that I've not said in order to have a bicker.

The one thing we do agree upon is that we should not be comparing Knight to van Dyke, but then that wasn't what I said either, was it? If you feel Knight is a headless chicken, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I'm afraid no end of straw men will convince me to agree with you. For me. He's a talented, extremely hard-working young player, with a massive engine who had a stop-start season in a team that either flew or floundered. He hasn't suddenly become a bad player, but of course, that's just my opinion. If the rumours around multiple Championship & Prem teams looking at him are true, you'd have to ask yourself, are they all wrong about him too?

6 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'm spelling OCD too, even though I try hard to hide it. You was, instead of you were is the one that pickles my gherkin most, though I conceded it's completely irrational 😂

I don’t want to stray too far from the riveting speculation in this thread but I could not agree more with this. People saying “you was” etc is a blight on society which has notably become worse in recent years. 

No, I don’t think it’s overly dramatic to use the word blight 😂

2 hours ago, angieram said:

It's a good interview. It's funny how his accent has become more discernible after a week with the other other Irish squad players!

More to the point, the interviewer rightly stated that he's become an ever-present for the Ireland senior team (as he was for the U21's), so you'd have to question the manager's stated claims that he needs to be elsewhere. I'd wager good money he'll continue to be one of the first names on the team sheet irrespective and hopefully he'll see this and give us another year. Lots on here doing him down, but I don't see it at all.

Interesting interview. He is like most players-He wants to play at the highest level that he can. I would suggest that the Republic team would find it tough in the Championship. He should aim for the Premiership and good luck to him if he can follow Hendrick and do that.

22 hours ago, Jram said:

I don’t want to stray too far from the riveting speculation in this thread but I could not agree more with this. People saying “you was” etc is a blight on society which has notably become worse in recent years. 

No, I don’t think it’s overly dramatic to use the word blight 😂

I downt fink yor beein fair 

• 2 weeks later...

If Knight does stay, although I don’t expect he will, perhaps RWB could be “his” position?

He excelled at RWB last night for Ireland. His performances at RWB under Rosenior were probably the best he played last season, and it’s where he’d probably fit in best in a Warne team.

He’s 22 years old. It won’t be long before he isn’t even eligible for young player of the season anymore, yet he doesn’t have a defined role. He’s very versatile, but that can also be a downfall because instead of being a key player, you’re someone who can be moved around a lot and a lack of consistency in role has to disrupt form & performances. 

If Knight does stay and Warne sits him down and tells him he’s a RWB and that’s where he’ll stay for the season, then I think we could do a lot worse in that position.

Just now, Kernow said:

If Knight does stay, although I don’t expect he will, perhaps RWB could be “his” position?

He excelled at RWB last night for Ireland. His performances at RWB under Rosenior were probably the best he played last season, and it’s where he’d probably fit in best in a Warne team.

He’s 22 years old. It won’t be long before he isn’t even eligible for young player of the season anymore, yet he doesn’t have a defined role. He’s very versatile, but that can also be a downfall because instead of being a key player, you’re someone who can be moved around a lot and a lack of consistency in role has to disrupt form & performances. 

If Knight does stay and Warne sits him down and tells him he’s a RWB and that’s where he’ll stay for the season, then I think we could do a lot worse in that position.

I don’t buy he needs to define his role - the best thing about him is that he’s versatile and is a high energy, high motor player. He’s a useful squad player and would be at the highest level. The problem he is always going to face is that there are simply better footballers, in abundance, throughout the leagues. No team is buying Jason Knight for his technical ability, you can find better footballers on the ball in non-league, but you do buy him for his ability out of possession, his energy and the fact he can cover multiple positions. 

RWB in a good team, in League One, is ideal because the wingers at this level are substandard - the best winger we came up against last season was Mehmeti who joined Bristol City and struggled in the Championship. In the Championship, at the same position, he’s getting his arse handed to him multiple times a game - same as Sibley at LB/LWB. He’s then better suited as a midfielder in a counter pressing team where his off the ball ability becomes a much more valuable asset. 

Let’s face it, that’s the problem we had with him in midfield this season and why he played his best football this season for us at right back. We didn’t need a player who was outstanding at counter pressing when we’re camped on the opposition box 8 games out of 10. We needed someone with a bit of craft, who could open up defences and provide better quality chances - we needed a more technical player than Knight.

34 minutes ago, Kernow said:

He mainly lived on the right side of the pitch this past season right? Can't imagine that it wouldn't be an easy transition since as you mentioned he has played there with Ireland. If we cannot sign a solid right back or if there isn't one that Warne really likes on the market right now I think this is a pretty good idea.

Edited by JakeDCFC

15 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I don’t buy he needs to define his role - the best thing about him is that he’s versatile and is a high energy, high motor player. He’s a useful squad player and would be at the highest level. The problem he is always going to face is that there are simply better footballers, in abundance, throughout the leagues. No team is buying Jason Knight for his technical ability, you can find better footballers on the ball in non-league, but you do buy him for his ability out of possession, his energy and the fact he can cover multiple positions. 

RWB in a good team, in League One, is ideal because the wingers at this level are substandard - the best winger we came up against last season was Mehmeti who joined Bristol City and struggled in the Championship. In the Championship, at the same position, he’s getting his arse handed to him multiple times a game - same as Sibley at LB/LWB. He’s then better suited as a midfielder in a counter pressing team where his off the ball ability becomes a much more valuable asset. 

Let’s face it, that’s the problem we had with him in midfield this season and why he played his best football this season for us at right back. We didn’t need a player who was outstanding at counter pressing when we’re camped on the opposition box 8 games out of 10. We needed someone with a bit of craft, who could open up defences and provide better quality chances - we needed a more technical player than Knight.

Do you think that he can't or isn't likely to improve or develop in that aspect of his game? Agree with the argument though just want to hear your thoughts on that.

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

That’s the problem though. Versatility is good for any team, obviously. If he’s playing in midfield and we have an injury crisis at RWB, who do we turn to? Jason Knight.

But if he’s playing well in midfield, then all of a sudden that form is stunted because his role changes. He needs to consistently focus on a role so he can refine it and he will improve. A full season at RWB will make him a much better player in that position than if he’s filling in here, there or everywhere.

He doesn’t contribute enough in terms of goals to play further up behind the striker, and I don’t think he’s technically able to improve that side of his game enough. His biggest asset is his engine, so a position where you’re constantly up and down the pitch is perfect for him.

I don’t think he’d have his arse handed to him in that position in the Championship. Maybe in a flat back four, but in a 5 you have added protection. His ability to just run and run will always give other teams a problem.