Sean Clare - joined Wigan

Carnero

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-qpr-derby-county-and-cardiff-city-interested-in-ex-charlton-athletic-man/

Getting in there 3 days ahead of Old Ben... 😁

According to this shaky source we're one of the clubs interested in Sean Clare, 26 year old right back/wing back/centre back/midfielder..  looks a decent squad option on paper if nothing else, 40 games for Charlton last season.

He's a talented, yet incredibly frustrating player. He does fit the system, can definitely see him signing and can definitely see fans spending half the season calling him every name under the sun. 

I think his erratic game-by-game performances wore some of the Charlton fans down, most (if not all) still think there is a player in there somewhere but definitely a player that would need to be coached up to get where we would need him to be. Surprised Championship clubs would entertain him.  

13 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

He's a talented, yet incredibly frustrating player. He does fit the system, can definitely see him signing and can definitely see fans spending half the season calling him every name under the sun. 

I think his erratic game-by-game performances wore some of the Charlton fans down, most (if not all) still think there is a player in there somewhere but definitely a player that would need to be coached up to get where we would need him to be. Surprised Championship clubs would entertain him.  

Before I clicked on  the link, I was going to suggest that he may be a bit like Scott Malone without the silly hair - I'm pleased I delayed....

13 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Before I clicked on  the link, I was going to suggest that he may be a bit like Scott Malone without the silly hair - I'm pleased I delayed....

I'd say he's more talented, possibly more erratic, version of Malone. Malone can play left back, I think the problem with Clare is that he's a midfielder who has been pushed to right back so defensively he can be frustrating, i.e. being caught out of position or losing the ball and leaving space behind. I don't think he would be a bad wing back in a 3-4-3 system. End product would be a problem though, but feel like he would offer some athleticism which would be useful. 

I 100% wouldn't be against his signing, but definitely well aware of the shortcomings that he brings.  It's been one that I have somewhat expected given Warne's system and contract situation. He can cover almost every position on the pitch too so ideal foil for a small squad. He's a Korey Smith with possibly a higher ceiling but lower floor. 

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'd say he's more talented, possibly more erratic, version of Malone. Malone can play left back, I think the problem with Clare is that he's a midfielder who has been pushed to right back so defensively he can be frustrating, i.e. being caught out of position or losing the ball and leaving space behind. I don't think he would be a bad wing back in a 3-4-3 system. End product would be a problem though, but feel like he would offer some athleticism which would be useful. 

I 100% wouldn't be against his signing, but definitely well aware of the shortcomings that he brings.  It's been one that I have somewhat expected given Warne's system and contract situation. He can cover almost every position on the pitch too so ideal foil for a small squad. He's a Korey Smith with possibly a higher ceiling but lower floor. 

I usually like to think we are making an improvement! - not so sure with what your opinions sound like 

Sounds like the epitome of a "Paul Warne player" tbh

As I said in the general rumours thread, his character fits too - https://londonfootballscene.co.uk/2023/02/22/charlton-athletics-sean-clare-on-finding-his-way-and-inspiring-the-next-generation/

(Video discusses his surgeries to remove the birthmark on the side of his face, which necessitated his wearing of the mask last season)

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-qpr-derby-county-and-cardiff-city-interested-in-ex-charlton-athletic-man/

According to this shaky source we're one of the clubs interested in Sean Clare, 26 year old right back/wing back/centre back/midfielder..  looks a decent squad option on paper if nothing else, 40 games for Charlton 

71E221A3-B581-4A65-BC70-F63857304AAF.jpeg

The dodgy transfer link superhero’s we never asked for, but somehow ended up with!

Edited by Ramarena

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Played most of the season as a RB in a back 4 didn't he? Poor as an RCB, and no end product as a RWB. We can surely do better, especially as we already have Smith to do the 'midfielder playing at RB' role.

I am more hopeful we sign either Regan Poole or Josh Key for the RB positions or even both!

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Played most of the season as a RB in a back 4 didn't he? Poor as an RCB, and no end product as a RWB. We can surely do better, especially as we already have Smith to do the 'midfielder playing at RB' role.

Agreed. The thing we have lacked is a natural right back, whilst Smith did a half decent job as a fill in. It would make no sense for us to sign another makeshift fullback when we already have one. Plenty of better options out there.

Not sure we'll be signing a 'natural RB' even next season tbh.

With the plan evidently to play primarily with wing backs, anyone actual RB coming in would know they're only going to play on the rare occasion we change system - at which point we'd probably just ask a RCB to move across or a RWB to move backwards.

Edited by Kokosnuss

13 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Given barely anyone plays with wing backs these days, we are pretty much guaranteed to be signing midfielders or full backs with a view to coaching them into the role.

2 out of the 3 promoted teams in both the Championship and in League 1 will be teams utilising 3 at the back with wing backs, with both teams in both play off finals using it. 

The very top teams don’t really use it but it is probably the prevailing system in the Championship and League 1 now. Although I do agree in a way, “wing backs” are often now converted wingers (and the wider CB’s are often converted full backs)

• 1 month later...
On 26/05/2023 at 16:02, Carnero said:

According to this shaky source we're one of the clubs interested in Sean Clare, 26 year old right back/wing back/centre back/midfielder..  looks a decent squad option on paper if nothing else, 40 games for Charlton last season.

Another right back? They are like the buses.