Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

When it comes to who is useless it’s rather subjective isn’t it 

recruitment team - based on what I have seen 3/10 seems a fair score 

management team - based on who has improved as a player 0/10 seems a fair score 

The consensus on this thread is that the management team IS the recruitment team this summer 

34 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

It doesn't take a genius to realise most of these players aren't Mark Thomas's suggestions. His 'specialty' we'll call it is low league and Irish league 'gems'. Small fees with a huge sell on potential. Premier league academy off casts also. I think he will come good but so far people are a bit peeved off

Seems more red tape than usual for young  Irish players to cross over due to brexit. Maybe the reason why none have been linked given the time scale of his employment start date.

Is there any part of the club rumoured to be working competently at all? Surely something must be working right or being done professionally? The whole thing seems very strange. I am not entirely sure what has happened this summer but if some on here can find decent young players available on a free then surely someone employed to do should be able to manage it? Hopefully it will all come good and we will have the next David Langan and Gerry Daly soon. 

48 minutes ago, sage said:

He sounds like a long term appointment overwhelmed by short term panic.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but whispers coming out of a club that it's all one person's fault, doesn't necessarily mean it's all that person's fault. Could be deflection.   

Long term appointment ignored because a manager who’s job by its nature is short term, has (in my opinion looking in from the outside) too much power.

1 hour ago, sage said:

He sounds like a long term appointment overwhelmed by short term panic.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but whispers coming out of a club that it's all one person's fault, doesn't necessarily mean it's all that person's fault. Could be deflection.   

This is what first leapt to kind for me. Say Thomas presents a list of good young prospects that'll cost a few quid each but be worth good money and be fighting for the first team in a year or two (Jake Rooney-esque). He presents them to Warne, but they're not going to fit into project promotion. Instead he signs Washington, taking a massive chunk out of the wage budget.

Queue poor start to the season and Warne goes back to Thomas asking for players, only to find he can't afford any of them because he wanted his Old Boys Club band back together. It's easy to slate him when he's presenting an entirely different view.

Alternatively, all the money disappeared when we found we had to pay the Jozwiak deal and now everyone is looking at Thomas and Warne to pull a rabbit out of the hat so tensions are high.

Obviously all hypothetical, but if the new hire is rubbish then it's the one who did the hiring at fault. That's how it's always been when I've been involved in hiring anyway.

2 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

This is what first leapt to kind for me. Say Thomas presents a list of good young prospects that'll cost a few quid each but be worth good money and be fighting for the first team in a year or two (Jake Rooney-esque). He presents them to Warne, but they're not going to fit into project promotion. Instead he signs Washington, taking a massive chunk out of the wage budget.

Queue poor start to the season and Warne goes back to Thomas asking for players, only to find he can't afford any of them because he wanted his Old Boys Club band back together. It's easy to slate him when he's presenting an entirely different view.

Alternatively, all the money disappeared when we found we had to pay the Jozwiak deal and now everyone is looking at Thomas and Warne to pull a rabbit out of the hat so tensions are high.

Obviously all hypothetical, but if the new hire is rubbish then it's the one who did the hiring at fault. That's how it's always been when I've been involved in hiring anyway.

And the one youngster Wilson, Warne said he tried to sign last season.

Someone has outfought someone else, Warne over Thomas is my guess.

To recruitment team :

Sometimes you don’t need to turn your PC on and check someone’s stats to see if he’s any good ! 
what about actually going to see players play! So seems some can’t recommend a player without turning on their computer! lol