Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

According to Salary Sport website, Jason Knight is currently the second highest earner in the squad on £10k pw, behind Hourihane who is on £12k pw. McGoldrick is reported to have been on £7.4k pw as was Curtis Davies; Collins on £8.1k, Sibley on £8k and Bird on £7.9k are the 3rd, 4th and 5th best paid.

Well Hourihane is absolutely not on £12K a week so you may as well chuck all that out the window!

I found a rumour! Allegedly we are keeping tabs on Northern Ireland’s Gavin Whyte, formerly of Cardiff City. Probably not much in it as folk on Twitter seem to think he’s close to joining Pompey, but it’s a rumour nonetheless….in fact it might even need a transfer thread 🤔 

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/northern-ireland-pair-attracting-interest-as-english-and-scottish-sides-prepare-to-swoop/a546823177.html

1 hour ago, The_Sheriff said:

Why would that be hard to believe? At the time he was seen as a coup.

Those figures dont seem far off to be fair

Because all the players signed last season were on quite strict wage restrictions if I’m not mistaken, and that was way below £12K a week

45 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I found a rumour! Allegedly we are keeping tabs on Northern Ireland’s Gavin Whyte, formerly of Cardiff City. Probably not much in it as folk on Twitter seem to think he’s close to joining Pompey, but it’s a rumour nonetheless….in fact it might even need a transfer thread 🤔 

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/northern-ireland-pair-attracting-interest-as-english-and-scottish-sides-prepare-to-swoop/a546823177.html

Sorry , not buying into this until I see some numbers🤷🏻‍♂️

5 hours ago, angieram said:

I can never understand why it's those three getting all the criticism when it was other areas of the pitch letting us down. 

Particularly up front. Despite McGoldrick's goals.

Remember Wildsmith's comments? Always the easy one to criticise and drop due to being an academy graduate.
Not a single person wil comment on Smith's lack of end product. He only has 11 career goals, spent most of his career in the Championship, yet Bird is the one who needs to add more goals to his game to be good enough for a L1 midfield.

7 hours ago, S8TY said:

Try leaving your stats to one side please stato

I'm quite old fashioned in that I see what i see on the actual pitch

Why keep comparing us to Plymouth when the main comparison point  is they got a lot more points than us ! 

Didn't compare Bannan to Bird in any way what I am saying is if you actually care to read it without rose tinted glasses is Knight and Bird, as good a players as they are....( good players!!) when I watch them they are NOT going to get the goals required to help our forwards out....Hourihane at his age is not worth what we could get for Bird or Knight so going back to my original post ....selling one of them and IF the money was invested properly we could realistically get 2 maybe 3 decent players ( thats not rebuilding the side but wheeling and dealing yes to keep us financially sound ) and for me 1 should be a more attack minded midfielder, i'm not going to get into an argument because its not an argument ...thats your take on it My opinion stands and I'm saying no more ....

id sell one of Knight or Bird , preferably Knight and then use the money wisely ....thats it ...because I don't and won't see Bird,Knight and Hourihane scoring enough ....and for me Bird could be more of a box to box player but he's not played in that way ....Bielik showed how to play the CDM role and Max for me would be better if we tried to get him to play with more attack in mind because I think he could do it ....I think Bird could be one of the best midfielders in L1 if he was more forward thinking but if he's not going to play that role then we need a goalscoring midfielder 

Why did I compare us to Plymouth? They got promoted last season and that's our target this season. You say we need to sell Bird and/or Knight to add more goals to our midfield. I showed you we don't need to, based on the goals from the two teams which earned automatic promotion last season.

You think you didn't compare Bird to Bannan, but stated "I don’t see Bird as a Bannan type midfielder he’s not quick or defensively astute at times". That's a comparison, and an incorrect one at that.
You state Bird and Knight don't get enough goals, but ignore that balance is achieved by having someone like Hourihane in there. Bird and Knight would be in there for greater defensive contribution, and in Bird's case, greater open play creativity.
Bielik is a different style of DM. As I've proven in many ways, Bird matches every L1 playing the same role in the team in a 2 man midfield. Bielik has a worse goal contribution than Bird too, despite being introduced to first team football 2 years later.

55 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I remember seeing Whyte playing in a random game for Cardiff a few years back and thinking he was the standout player on the pitch so I wouldn't be against this. However isn't he a right midfielder/winger? Not entirely sure where he's fit into a system with wingbacks...

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

You are on the wrong thread mate 😊

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You state Bird and Knight don't get enough goals, but ignore that balance is achieved by having someone like Hourihane in there. Bird and Knight would be in there for greater defensive contribution, and in Bird's case, greater open play creativity.

They don't and I dont see Knight, Hourihane and Bird being balanced or having enough goal threat ...does that spell it out? 

Bird and Knight should be defensively astute but going forwards we need more than that 3 can get goals wise hence why i said we need another attack minded CM we do not need two defensive minded CM's IMO 

How many goals do you think our midfield should be contributing ? last season when the strikers or basically Mcgoldrick were not scoring where were our goals coming from ?

You're sticking up for Bird like he's being victimised....he's not....but we need more threat from midfield and if you are saying Knight,Hourihane and Bird are the answer and will give us goals and defensive balance then prepare to be dissapointed I really don't care what the stats say...from what I see ...with my own eyes ....we don't look threatening enough and thats why I'd want a more potent midfielder as well as new striker or 2....I can see one of Bird or Knight being on bench unless Knight plays RWB and in the last year of there contracts so maybe an idea to sell one to get better balance and options ...we need more goals and not just from the strikers

My challenge to Knight or Bird would be can you get 6-10 goals this season , If either done that they'd be seen as getting better and therefore worth more not only to us but others...they are capable players  and this division is not great