Summer Rumour Mill

sage

4 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I know a couple of people have mentioned Sam Nombe as an option.

Just read he's signing for Rotherham for £1 million.

Turned down Barnsley.

Pity.  Noticed he isn’t in the Exeter squad tonight and was hoping we were in for him. Ex City manager at Rotherham though and that probably decided it.

Edited by hintonsboots

Clarke-Harris is a no go for me, good striker but 30 years old, why spend all that money on him? You could argue he might get us up, but heavy spending with that same logic is what's got us here in the first place.

There is no plausible situation in which a League 1 club should be spending heavily on a player they have no realistic chance of getting any return on.

1 minute ago, CocuBarmyArmy said:

Clarke-Harris is a no go for me, good striker but 30 years old, why spend all that money on him? You could argue he might get us up, but heavy spending with that same logic is what's got us here in the first place.

There is no plausible situation in which a League 1 club should be spending heavily on a player they have no realistic chance of getting any return on.

The financial difference between being In the champ and league 1, especially with the new tv deal from next season will outweigh the need for a resale value. Get out the league by any means necessary (within budget etc).

3 minutes ago, CocuBarmyArmy said:

💤🥱

8 minutes ago, YouRams said:

The financial difference between being In the champ and league 1, especially with the new tv deal from next season will outweigh the need for a resale value. Get out the league by any means necessary (within budget etc).

TBH I think Waggy will score more than C-H, why spend the money. Wait and see how J-J turns out too.

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

TBH I think Waggy will score more than C-H, why spend the money. Wait and see how J-J turns out too.

Waggy gets injured and what then? We haven’t spent any money on fees. His goals could help get us up and enable us to benefit from the lucrative new tv deal. If the money is there I would bring him in. I doubt we are interested nevertheless 😊

55 minutes ago, CocuBarmyArmy said:

image.thumb.png.d7502063684c2d35f6234f6f4da30e0a.png

Yeah he’s a massive no go 🤣

18 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

image.thumb.png.d7502063684c2d35f6234f6f4da30e0a.png

Yeah he’s a massive no go 🤣

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

💤🥱

These sort of attitudes are what got us in this mess in the first place, he's 30 and the club will get nothing for him in the end. He could bang 30 in this season and we don't go up, then what? Clowes is shrewd enough to know that's a no go whilst we are in League 1, no way he spends a substantial sum on him judging by the sensible business we've seen so far.

1 hour ago, YouRams said:

Respect this view, but we said this during our spending spree trying to get to the prem. Obviously it would depend on the fee, if we can get him for a reasonable price then I agree, but judging by the fact he's still there it's reasonable to expect he'll cost a good amount.

2 minutes ago, CocuBarmyArmy said:

These sort of attitudes are what got us in this mess in the first place, he's 30 and the club will get nothing for him in the end. He could bang 30 in this season and we don't go up, then what? Clowes is shrewd enough to know that's a no go whilst we are in League 1, no way he spends a substantial sum on him judging by the sensible business we've seen so far.

He’s the same age as Kane. There are no guarantees with any signing but those goal scoring stats speak for themselves. We don’t need to obsess ourselves with sell on value when we have spent nothing on players. I very much doubt we are in for him but if Warne decides to spend some of the Cashin money on him I wouldn’t say no. He is in the last year of his contract so wouldn’t cost the earth.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

2 million is a reasonable fee for Clarke-Harris as there's potential to get a large chunk back if he keeps scoring and we go up this year or next, but he'd have to be realistic on wages and probably take a 2 yr deal.

If they wanted to pay 3 million they'd have done it by now..  We also won't get him back on loan as their model means he'll be sent straight out on loan elsewhere as soon as possible for a fee.  They could of course pay maybe 2 million and lend him back for a few hundred k, basically getting him for a lower fee by the back door.

£2 million on a 30-year old with a 2-year contract? That’s a Mel Morris signing.

1) We won’t have anywhere near £2 million and even if we sell Cashin (I hope we don’t), I’d be surprised if we reinvest more than one million.

2) He would probably have zero resale value. Even with two good years, he then leaves on a free.

3) We could do more by asking the EFL to remove this 2-year contract length. That hurts us more than anything.

If we are going to spend money - then get 2 or 3 x 500k players in the 22-26 category.

Hungry, can improve, can increase their value etc.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

£2 million on a 30-year old with a 2-year contract? That’s a Mel Morris signing.

1) We won’t have anywhere near £2 million and even if we sell Cashin (I hope we don’t), I’d be surprised if we reinvest more than one million.

2) He would probably have zero resale value. Even with two good years, he then leaves on a free.

3) We could do more by asking the EFL to remove this 2-year contract length. That hurts us more than anything.

If we are going to spend money - then get 2 or 3 x 500k players in the 22-26 category.

Hungry, can improve, can increase their value etc.

There are no restrictions on contract lengths - a few of players we've signed are on three year deals from this summer.