Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

As the Brighton thing has popped back up I will mention what I heard about ten days ago.

Warne wanted both Bird and Cashin sold and at that point and was wanting £2 million for the pair to go fund another bout of spending but the club value them higher than that at this point of their contracts with Pearce wanting around £5 million for the pair. This apparently this has led to lot of friction behind the scenes. 
personally I think Pearce is right especially as it’s Brighton and Hull involved, with their level of experience in the championship and their age.

Based on what I see warne doing with money and his get anybody in who says yes philosophy I don’t trust his judgment or the type of team selection or method of play we have been witnessing. I don’t blame the two young lads involved but it seems they are being blamed based on various interviews aired recently?

we will soon only have third division standard players and I know that’s where we are currently but I for one want to see hope for the future and currently I have little optimism.

This falls down on the premise that Warne wants rid of Bird when he's spent all pre-season trying to make him a key figure in our attacking play, plus staying that he's said he doesn't want to leave.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Just now, Kokosnuss said:

This falls down on the premise that Warne wants rid of Bird when he's spent all pre-season trying to make him a key figure in our play.

So how else would you play it? Sideline a prime assett and say he's crap, not for me? Bit Ratner-esque.

7 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

So how else would you play it? Sideline a prime assett and say he's crap, not for me? Bit Ratner-esque.

I wouldn't 'play it' any way if my whole schtick was about being up front and honest, and my reputation and relationships with the squad I'm managing hinged on trust.

Edited by Kokosnuss

20 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I wouldn't 'play it' any way if my whole schtick was about being up front and honest, and my reputation and relationships with the squad I'm managing hinged on trust.

So, maybe 'playing' was a poor choice of word, but as @RoyMac5 implies, he may very well be being up front and honest, like with Knighty. Eg., I love you Birdy (think he actually does) and while you're here I'll back you but we both know the midfield balance isn't quite right and so if a deal comes in that suits us both, let's move you on.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Can't you see the flaw in your own argument 

Perhaps you could explain?

Attack (goal threat, pace and creativity) and midfield (mobility and power) were clear priorities for recruitment this summer.

We then lost our main source of attacking creativity and our main goal threat. So those priorities only became more pressing. 

We had a reasonable (if limited) budget.

We spent it all on wing backs, central defenders, and strikers with no real pace and no real creativity.

This was a bad mistake.

What's the flaw exactly? 

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Cashin for 3 million or more and then back on loan would be a great deal if he’s not signing on, surely we could spend some of they on a striker and centre mid.

That is what we want, not what they are currently (after four bids) offering. There is a big difference. Currently they are using the media to prepare the ground for a sale.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

No, that’s my point. It’s not difficult to leave Warne out of some conversations. We can discuss aspects of the club at times without anyone either slating or praising Warne. 
It’s easy to talk about how a premier league club allegedly bidding for a talented, young player at a league one club would be of interest to that player and may represent a sensible and realistic business transaction to the club without mentioning the manager at all. 
You’ve mentioned Warne not developing him, playing him out of position, talking about it in interviews etc. which are all discussion points of their own merit that I’m not disputing in this exchange. They’ve been and will continue to be discussed at length in other threads.
I have only looked to express that IF Brighton are interested for the money that’s been quoted then it’s logical that given where we are as a club that deal would potentially be considered. 

Warne can’t be doing too bad a job of developing him if a top 6 Premier League side want him, or am I missing the point here

On 15/08/2023 at 08:59, Jayram said:

Get used to what? Years of treading water in League One and being bypassed by other clubs just so we can be ‘sustainable’? If that’s the plan then Mr Clowes will have to get used to attendances half the size of what we have now and half the revenue or sell the club because realistically there’s no way any club with ambition to get out of the lower leagues can do it sustainably, it’s a fantasy to think otherwise.

Exactly what I eluded to in my post; getting used to operating within a budget that ensures DCFC maintains financially stability and avoids unsustainable debt. Considering our recent dire financial situation, there's no alternative to this strategy. 

On 14/08/2023 at 23:45, Ghost of Clough said:

How many L1 clubs do you think run at breakeven or better?

Probably not so many, but all that indicates is that the current financial model for many pro football clubs is unsustainable.  

If both Bird and Cashin leave we need as much money for both as we can because after these two how many more players at the moment are sellable assets? maybe Sibley and Wildsmith but you ain't getting much, 600k, we're in a mess, we can't spend much this season because of the EFL plan. 

Have too sell now so we can spend next summer otherwise we have far less to spend as they walk away free and we get a modest amount at a tribunal. 

If Cash and Bird do not want to sign another contract then Warne is right we should sell them. I like both but I would sell for a decent figure.

If we are offered peanuts then keep them and get compensation when they sign for someone else in the summer. I have a feeling Warne had said something similar about Bird in the past.

I see them both as Championship players no higher. 

9 hours ago, europia said:

Exactly what I eluded to in my post; getting used to operating within a budget that ensures DCFC maintains financially stability and avoids unsustainable debt. Considering our recent dire financial situation, there's no alternative to this strategy. 

If that’s the way forward so be it but the club will be a shadow of what it once was. 

4 minutes ago, Jayram said:

If that’s the way forward so be it but the club will be a shadow of what it once was. 

Since the Premier League started, we've had 3 periods of relitave success.

The Jim Smith glory years under Pickering that lead to financial ruin and the Amigos.

An unlikely promotion under Davies on modest spending, where we screwed up the financial advantage that gave us leading to a few long years of austerity under Clough.

The wonderful and cheap squad that unluckily lost to QPR in the playoff final, that Mel proceeded to completely ruin, both on the field and financially.

Is there a way for Derby to ever have money to spend and it not turn into a disaster?

We may currently be a shadow of what the club once was on the field, but at least we aren't about to fold.

I’m sorry but you can’t sell your young assets, that are your better players just so you can sign a 30+ has been just to try and get out this league. If you’re selling them, then you need to bring in other young players with potential to sell on at a profit. 

Rodrigues, smith, Knibbs, Bernard etc

Otherwise you just run out of assets, and if you don’t get promoted you’re stuffed. Looks like we’re stuffed as things stand