Summer Rumour Mill

sage

If we can get Waghorn in for so cheap that he doesn’t eat in to the budget and we can still sign 3 other players then I’m all for it. But if he’s our 3rd and final striker or the final winger/supporting attacker that Warne wants then it’s a no from me. He’s the cherry on top of the cake but certainly not the icing or sponge.

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

If we can get Waghorn in for so cheap that he doesn’t eat in to the budget and we can still sign 3 other players then I’m all for it. But if he’s our 3rd and final striker or the final winger/supporting attacker that Warne wants then it’s a no from me. He’s the cherry on top of the cake but certainly not the icing or sponge.

How can it be a no from you without knowing what the other options are? Good strikers are notoriously difficult to get, especially in league one with no real ability to pay a fee. Personally I'm just trusting Warne will choose the best options available to him, if it happens to be Waghorn then so be it. 

1 minute ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Agreed,  imagine saying we wouldn't take back ebosele or plange in league 1 purely based on him being an ex player , pure stupidity 

I wouldn't take either as one signed for someone else under the pretence of a city break with his missus and the other couldn't get game time or goals when he did, on loan at Lincoln.  The ex player bit doesn't bother me as long as they can do something and aren't a bullshitter on previous ventures in a Rams shirt.

4 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I do feel it would be a player very similar to one just brought in from Rotherham and makes no sense when you need options.  Unless we're already replacing him and his minor knee problem which isn't looking so minor.

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

How can it be a no from you without knowing what the other options are? Good strikers are notoriously difficult to get, especially in league one with no real ability to pay a fee. Personally I'm just trusting Warne will choose the best options available to him, if it happens to be Waghorn then so be it. 

Because Waghorn wouldn’t have been our best option at the start of the summer. No excuses for not landing a decent striker in my opinion.
If you’d have said a week after the Wednesday game our front 3 for next season will be Collins, Washington and Waghorn I’d imagine there’d have been a lot of sick fans about. We shouldn’t accept mediocre just because ‘that’s life’.

19 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He could be one of the best players available on a free in league one. Why is it an issue he's an ex player? Even from an objective stand point it makes sense. 

It really doesn't make sense.

He's 33, was pretty average (at best) last time, constantly injured and has done little to nothing in recent years to show he's the answer.. again.

"Loving the club" and knowing the club are not footballing attributes.

Ditto Chris Martin, Bryson..

7 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Because Waghorn wouldn’t have been our best option at the start of the summer. No excuses for not landing a decent striker in my opinion.
If you’d have said a week after the Wednesday game our front 3 for next season will be Collins, Washington and Waghorn I’d imagine there’d have been a lot of sick fans about. We shouldn’t accept mediocre just because ‘that’s life’.

It's not about accepting mediocrity, it's about being realistic. Good strikers cost money. Money that we don't really have available to spend at the moment. We've strengthened the squad as much as we can, but we have to make do really. It's impossible to comment on what our best option was at the start of the summer really, but we're still a club in recovery. It is what it is. 

Edited by Andicis

2 minutes ago, Papahet said:

It really doesn't make sense.

He's 33, was pretty average (at best) last time, constantly injured and has done little to nothing in recent years to show he's the answer.. again.

"Loving the club" and knowing the club are not footballing attributes.

Ditto Chris Martin, Bryson..

We need a striker. We don't have money to spend. Getting an experienced player who won't be very expensive in wages is a sensible move. We aren't going to be signing top players. It makes sense, you just don't like it. 

27 minutes ago, Andicis said:

And yet we signed Collins and McGoldrick last summer with alot less prep than this summer. A forward has been a priority all summer, with or without McGoldrick. It’s not great that we still haven’t bought one in and now appear to be scraping the barrel. Our season kind of depends on it. No pressure! 

Edited by enachops

Just now, enachops said:

And yet we signed Collins and McGoldrick last summer with alot less prep than this summer. A forward has been a priority all summer, with or without McGokdrick. It’s not great that we still haven’t bought one in and now appear to be scraping the barrel. Our season kind of depends on it. No pressure! 

And McGoldrick was brilliant and Collins was a decent signing too. The thing is that we are just depending on being able to sign an unproven raw striker for a small fee or hoping someone decent becomes available on a free. We don't really have the luxury of much choice. I'm sure Warne would love to sign a good striker to fire us up the league but we are very limited in what we can get. 

IMHO Collins, Washington and potentially Waghorn are all capable of scoring 15 goals in league one this season with good service.  Assuming Waghorn signs, I hope we're still in the market for a good AMC and WB, with the signings we've already made we should be producing a lot of chances.

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's not about accepting mediocrity, it's about being realistic. Good strikers cost money. Money that we don't really have available to spend at the moment. We've strengthened the squad as much as we can, but we have to make do really. It's impossible to comment on what our best option was at the start of the summer really, but we're still a club in recovery. It is what it is. 

Would’ve preferred Sam Smith or Knibbs over Waghorn and I doubt they was asking the world.

Have to respectfully disagree with your laid back attitude towards this season. Last season was the free hit IMO.

Just now, TomTom92 said:

Would’ve preferred Sam Smith or Knibbs over Waghorn and I doubt they was asking the world.

Have to respectfully disagree with your laid back attitude towards this season. Last season was the free hit IMO.

To be fair, neither of us have any idea what Reading offered in wages. Knibbs is a winger not a striker, and I can't believe we wouldn't have tried for Smith if he was a viable option. I would guess that Reading offered more than we were willing/able to pay, but like I said I have no idea what they offered. 

I'm not saying this season is a free hit. We have a good team capable of getting up. The fact is we're still under increased EFL scrutiny and a business plan (albeit a more relaxed one). It's just realism.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

To be fair, neither of us have any idea what Reading offered in wages. Knibbs is a winger not a striker, and I can't believe we wouldn't have tried for Smith if he was a viable option. I would guess that Reading offered more than we were willing/able to pay, but like I said I have no idea what they offered. 

I'm not saying this season is a free hit. We have a good team capable of getting up. The fact is we're still under increased EFL scrutiny and a business plan (albeit a more relaxed one). It's just realism.

Looks like Knibbs and smith ain’t getting paid, so not sure they made a good choice there.

Edited by Ramarena