Summer Rumour Mill

sage

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Unless you watched the academy games, then you saw him as one of the very best players in the country at his age and the reason why we rejected a £5m bid from Wolves at the time. 

I’ve watched a lot of academy football over the past decade and I’ve seen very, very few players who were close to him at his age. I think anyone who watched him come up has a similar opinion. The fact we haven’t been able to develop him further is sickening - he had all the tools to be such a special player. I still hold out hope that we, and he, can turn it around but it’s a big year. 

I also watched him in academy games I stick by my current analysis of him and for the record I didn’t think he was as amazing as you say and where is proof we turned down 5m in hindsight that was not one of our better decisions if true 

ill be honest I’d take a tenth of that now 

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

I also watched him in academy games I stick by my current analysis of him and for the record I didn’t think he was as amazing as you say and where is proof we turned down 5m in hindsight that was not one of our better decisions if true 

Was £2 million btw

2 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

Was £2 million btw

I have never watched Sibley in academy and thought we have one of the best prospects in the country 

I did think that when I saw Huddlestone play at 16/17 

1 minute ago, Magicman said:

Sibley remains limited by his early performances and not finding a spot he can secure over the last 3 years. I think the 10 role is where he is best suited .

I don't think he has the speed of thought needed for that position; nor the pace to recover from a ponderous first touch. TBH, I've thought  for some time that he would be better suited to a deeper lying midfield role.

I think he gets a lot of stick for losing the ball too much, but then he is one of the very few who will take a risk to break the line and that comes with the danger of possession turnover. I just don't think he's quote got it and very few managers have built any lasting trust in him.

12 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

I don't think he has the speed of thought needed for that position; nor the pace to recover from a ponderous first touch. TBH, I've thought  for some time that he would be better suited to a deeper lying midfield role.

I think he gets a lot of stick for losing the ball too much, but then he is one of the very few who will take a risk to break the line and that comes with the danger of possession turnover. I just don't think he's quote got it and very few managers have built any lasting trust in him.

Think trust is the main thing. He is easy to sub, and leave out. Partly that is his own doing but he has also been allowed a much shorter leash than many others have had over the last few years. It probably only takes him having a bad half before he is out the team for 3-4 games.

I would like to see him trusted with a run of 10 or so games in midfield / at 10 / second striker and see how he does. Even after his performance at Oxford I think he was dropped about 2 games later.

56 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Interesting, because in the topic of Wolves’ interest in him you said the exact opposite… 

A93835D3-AB64-4BA6-BCD2-A4F39B9A621C.png

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Interesting, because in the topic of Wolves’ interest in him you said the exact opposite… 

Yes he was a prospect never said he wasn’t but he’s not progressed 

his best performances came under Cocu 

there’s a reason not many managers play him consistently 

16 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Some just can’t see past what a player is just because he’s been in academy 

I’ve been involved in academy football quite a lot and prospects go forwards and backwards and some just don’t do either 

Sibley is an ok player but no more and is nowhere near the player we thought we had under Cocu 

Many reasons for that maybe but still a fact 

I’d be amazed if he’s one of our main players next season 

there you go save that and quote it later if you want to 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

14 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Yes he was a prospect never said he wasn’t but he’s not progressed 

his best performances came under Cocu 

there’s a reason not many managers play him consistently 

Yeah, we aren’t in disagreement about where he currently is, but my point is that in terms of finding value and a diamond in the rough. We have a player who we have all seen with our own eyes produce at an exceptionally high standard under good coaching. 

Could he go on to never recapture that form? Of course, but if I’m a manager at this level and need a player in an attacking role having seen what he’s done at an academy level and in parts at a senior level, I don’t see many better options. A 21 year old player who in my opinion probably still is the best finisher in our side.  He scored 4 goals in 10 appearances at attacking midfield last season. He won us the game away at Oxford. 

I know he has to improve on so many things, but at this level if you can work on him then you have a genuine match winner already on our books. I’m never going to deviate when it comes to Sibs, because I’ve seen what raw ability he had/has and I trust he can recapture it. 

34 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Some just can’t see past what a player is just because he’s been in academy 

I’ve been involved in academy football quite a lot and prospects go forwards and backwards and some just don’t do either 

Sibley is an ok player but no more and is nowhere near the player we thought we had under Cocu 

Many reasons for that maybe but still a fact 

I’d be amazed if he’s one of our main players next season 

there you go save that and quote it later if you want to 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

But he has hardly played enough to be able to judge. When he played every week he looked great. Playing the odd game here and there and coming on with 5 minutes to go hasn’t helped his development. I thought he looked pretty decent at left back/wing back when he had a run in the side.

Just give the lad focus training on ball retention and first touch 2 hours a day and he'll be one #€// of a player. His strong attributes are fantastic but lack some of the most basic skills which the modern game are based around. Still certain he could end up as one of our most important players if he accept his shortcomings and do some extra sessions to come to terms with these. Big season coming up!

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Yeah, we aren’t in disagreement about where he currently is, but my point is that in terms of finding value and a diamond in the rough. We have a player who we have all seen with our own eyes produce at an exceptionally high standard under good coaching. 

Could he go on to never recapture that form? Of course, but if I’m a manager at this level and need a player in an attacking role having seen what he’s done at an academy level and in parts at a senior level, I don’t see many better options. A 21 year old player who in my opinion probably still is the best finisher in our side.  He scored 4 goals in 10 appearances at attacking midfield last season. He won us the game away at Oxford. 

I know he has to improve on so many things, but at this level if you can work on him then you have a genuine match winner already on our books. I’m never going to deviate when it comes to Sibs, because I’ve seen what raw ability he had/has and I trust he can recapture it. 

Ok and that’s fair enough comment where I differ is I only see one really good spell under Cocu where I actually thought we’ve got a player here and I did think he’ll be difficult to keep 

not many players go off the boil for so long and then all of a sudden improve drastically enough …funnily enough I thought Sibley would have the same impact Dele Alli had at L1 level but unfortunate the is lacking in a few areas for me 

The harsh reality is football is quite cut throat and if we were to sell him we’d be lucky to get 250k imo so yes maybe keeping him to see if he can get back to levels where he makes a difference is probably the right thing to do but for me time is running out as he now needs to take the bull by the horns so to speak and make a difference in games 

I hope he does but imo and only my opinion I don’t think he will as I haven’t seen much improvement and think he’ll struggle to get into the side this season 

I hope I’m wrong 

13 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

I don't think a lack of pace is an issue - didn't bother Bergkamp but then he had perhaps the best touch in football so I get what you're saying.

It's interesting that PW has tried him in different positions which suggests Sibs is a good lad - I.E. willing to try 'owt for the team. I always think he's one of those that needs games and I like the fact he takes a risk now and again - when things are stale, you need that type of player.

Overall, I agree with a few of the posters that we'd have expected him to stand out in L1 and for some reason, he didn't. If we keep him, feels like this is a big season for him - feels like he'll either break through and be a key player or just not get a game.

Also, was interesting to see how well Max did in the Spain camp games - in the little clips we saw, he looked class. Big season for him too.