Summer Rumour Mill

sage

46 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I just think (hope), a full pre-seaon with Warne and a new style of play might suit him.

He can be a mardy git like Martin was so I hope he gets an early goal and his confidence grows.

I know it's the hope that kills you 

That is absolutely the only thing they have in common. You'd be better comparing Collins with Conor, Sammon that is. 😄

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I’d rather it be quiet than us announcing a 30-something run of the mill grafter who scores every second full moon.

We could always give him a bang on the head so that he get’s double vision ergo loads of goals.

Well ….. at least a few anyway!

34 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Screenshot_20230704-201302_Twitter.jpg

I do wonder what the hold up is.

Are the players signed and media team delaying for some reason, are players stalling for moves elsewhere, is Warne being too picky and backing out of transfers due to the players likes or dislikes, or are the EFL blocking moves?

Still plenty of time left, but this happens every window, it's built up as "we are in for a busy window", weeks go by of nothing but false promises and we land a random loan on last day of window followed by "we will go with what we have got" from whoever the manager was at the time.

I'm really hoping this year is different, but it's too quiet for my liking.

Do we think our substantial budget is that big or is just big because teams like Shrewsbury don’t have a pot to pee in? Or do we think the EFL aren’t being as easy to deal with as first assumed? 

I think if we haven’t signed anybody else by Friday then it’s not cause for concern but it would be a tad disappointing.

16 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Do we think our substantial budget is that big or is just big because teams like Shrewsbury don’t have a pot to pee in? Or do we think the EFL aren’t being as easy to deal with as first assumed? 

I think if we haven’t signed anybody else by Friday then it’s not cause for concern but it would be a tad disappointing.

The caveat has always been that it’s substantial for this league. But that doesn’t really mean a lot. £500k is a lot for this league when it comes to a whole summers worth of business. 

I agree though, would like some this week ahead of the Spain camp. Not the end of the world, but would seem like an opportunity missed to go there without a strike force. 

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

I think if we haven’t signed anybody else by Friday then it’s not cause for concern but it would be a tad disappointing

Substantial is subjective, but...

It's big enough that the owner considers it a good enough budget for a team who wish to be promoted with a man dubbed (even if a little tongue on cheek) the King of League One in place to allocate it with that aim in mind.

Realistically who's budget will be similar to ours, even amongst our promotion candidates?

I don't think our budget will be that of a bottom half Championship team, but higher than the lowest 3 in that league perhaps, in terms purely of wage budget. (Same for some of our competitors this season... but again that's where the choice of manager gives you that competitive edge)

The manager has said it's 'easy' to get players to sign for Derby and it's just a case of getting the right ones. As long as the criteria for who's right and who's not isn't too strict, we're in a good place 

That doesn't mean we're going to spend loads of money on transfer fees for the sake of it (the opposite, in fact), but if we can offer more to free agents than others can there's a good chance we'll be their destination and so, yes I agree it would be disappointing not to have brought players in who we (as fans, not scouts) believe could have been an asset.

(I know it doesn't always work out like that, for various reasons beyond our control)

As I will repeatedly say until the window closes, we have ample time and opportunity to make sure we make the best of this window. We don't need to panic, but the closer the deadline comes to pass and the more we see other teams sign potential targets (not many so far), the more we will start to get, to borrow iram's term, twitchy.

If some d******* wants to label twitchy fans as plebs or any other b******* inflammatory term, then OK that's up to them, but I'd suggest they take up another hobby.

Edited by Kokosnuss

40 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

I’ve been told we’re close to a few, no names as of yet apart from Washington which I’m led to believe is pretty much done. No updates re Bradley unfortunately 

So Washington done deal hopefully wonder who are the others 

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

How does an unfit player having recently had an operation pass a medical.

The medical staff are bored now quaver legs and all the old guard have left, need to justify their wages somehow, welcome to Derby.